Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be somewhat off-topic -- it's audio, but not necessarily MO-related. My apologies to admin if I should've started this under Off Topic.

For all you audiophiles: I want to replace the sub in my wife's Frontier. I had a PG amp in my first Pathfinder and was suitably impressed. The local custom shop here has recommended a PG amp and PG sub. What are their subs like? Keep in mind I'm not interested in entering any competitions or anything like that -- we just want better low end than the current quasi-Rockford stock sub.

Thanks.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Any aftermarket sub is going to be better than the stock one. Keep in mind that you need to decide on a box first, then work the sub around the box. Reason why I say this, is because with a sealed box, you will yield a punchy bass, with great low frequency extension, and with a ported box, they will net a +3db gain due to increased efficiency. A downfall of a ported box is that the port is tuned to a certain frequency. Though the box will play below this tuning freq., anything much lower than it will unload the subwoofer and it will lose control of the cone, causing the voice coil to burn out. You will notice this by hearing a loud knocking sound coming from the sub. This is easily defeatable by purchasing an amp with a built-in subsonic filter, which cuts out a given frequency, and anything below that number. Most are set around 20-30hz.

With all of this being said, you can still have a ported box without a subsonic filter. (I do.) You just have to be careful at extreme volume outputs from the amp when it starts to clip at max power. If you like alternative or heavy metal, I would go sealed box. If you like hip hop/r&b, I would go ported. I bought my box from www.subzoneusa.com. Their boxes are made out of 3/4" MDF wood, which is what you want. DO NOT by particle board boxes--they will fall apart and crack over time. Pay the extra few bucks for some MDF. Let me know what type of box you are looking for and I can recommend some subs from that point. It also depends on the power output from the sub amp as well. If your amp is going to be powering a sub only, I would suggest getting a Class D amp because of efficiency issues with the electrical system. Once you decide on the amp, tell me the RMS power output @ both 4 ohms and 2 ohms, and we can go from there...

Dustin

·
Registered
97 Posts
PG is mass produced, but they do make some good stuff. They also make cheapie stuff too though. PG have been building Carver Pro amps since his wife stole the company in a divorce and ran it into the ground. Bob Carver regained control but assumedly is more interested in the higher end equipment at Sunfire and has recently sold the rest of Carver corp to PG. The Carver equipment produced by PG that I have reviewed has been of very good quality and they seem to keep to the quality and specs of the original Carver equipment.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx Dookie and WindsorFox

Once I have a better feel for the cash availability, I'll get the details of the pieces the shop proposes and hopefully you can tell me what you think.

As for the box, thanks for the point about MDF vs. particle board. That's something I would never have even known about. I'm imagining we'll hook up the amp to power all the speakers, including the new sub. My wife's taste in music differs substantially from mine -- she's into dance/hip-hop/techno, while I'm into more "traditional" types -- rock/pop/blues. Though the truck is eventually going to become my "toy," it's her ride until then and we'll likely go ported, based on your advice Dookie. The only problem (I think) is going to be the box -- there's not a whole lotta room behind the back seat. We'll see.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Any luck on the sub/amp combo?

Let me know what type of music you are into and I'll tell you what kind of subs to get. Dont go for the "name brand" ones. I just came back from the CES here in Las Vegas and there are some subs that outperform the JL Audio 13W7 for $500 less. After seeing this, JL sickens me with their mark up on stuff...

·
Registered
97 Posts
I agree, look at the stuff you can find at MCM and Parts Express. PE has some very highquality stuff at real good prices.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts