Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in Scottsdale, AZ the cops are about to start photo enforcement on the Loop 101 Highway.

Has anyone tried the Photoblocker spray that is supposed to make the license plate unreadable when a flash photo is taken of it?

I am referring to the spray-on version that you can buy at www.phantomplate.com

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
It is nothing more than a color-free glossy finish.

Does it work? Well, according to the manufacturer's website "OVER 1 BILLION DOLLARS IN FINES AVOIDED!" Now how could they have determined that? That is a stupid and outrageous claim. How can you possibly believe anything else that they claim?

-njjoe

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Isn't they way they are advertising it illegal... I mean they are directly interferring with the law. Radar detectors at least say... do not speed... use of this device does not promote speeding.... bla bla bla. :mblah:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Be aware that in some states, probably all or most, it is illegal to make any changes at all to a license tag. I cannot imagine any spray on coating that would not make the tag look a little different. A sharp eyed cop following behind or at one of those "license, insurance, and safety inspection" stops would probably see the difference and you might have more troubles than a speeding ticket would bring. Especially if they are now beginning to use cameras for traffic enforcement and are looking for people trying to beat the system.

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
I believe they have a video clip on their site showing the product being reviewed on the evening news. Whatever state it was evaluated in (Nevada, I believe), they specifically say that it is not illegal and may have even said that no states ban this type of activity (yet).

I have only seen this in use once. While driving to Florida, I had just entered Philadelphia, and it was used on a Toyota Corolla from California oddly enough. I thought my eyes were fooling me in that it really looked like a tag that didn't have any text.. that is, until I began to pass them when the entire plate suddenly became visible shortly before passing them. It was wild.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Didn't 60 minutes do a story on that stuff and it turned out to be oven cleaner?

Look at the photos they use, one is normal and one is over exposed with a massive camera flash being used. Come on, the cameras being used DON'T crank out a big flash like that.

From all indications it is not going to do anything but waste your money.

I have heard of some other products that have little slats to them to make it harder for a camera that shoots a picture from above to get s shot. Looking at the plate from straight on - no problem - but the slats stop you from being able to view it from a higher angle.

Don't run red lights.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
EasternPA said:
I believe they have a video clip on their site showing the product being reviewed on the evening news. Whatever state it was evaluated in (Nevada, I believe), they specifically say that it is not illegal and may have even said that no states ban this type of activity (yet).

Washington has banned this a long time ago. Here's a link to the RCW that states the requirements for license plate display:
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.16.240

And a clip from this page (near the end):
It is unlawful to use any holders, frames, or any materials that in any manner change, alter, or make the vehicle license number plates illegible

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
In New Jersey if you have any type of smoked or tinted plastic cover on your license plate when the car is being inspected they will fail you.

-njjoe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts