Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are these the same? Any recommendations on which ones work best w/ an 05 S MO? I am sorry for being such a noob, but any help is always appreciated.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
PIAA bulbs, while quality high efficiency bulbs, are not equivalent to High Intensity Discharge xenon lamps, which operate on an entirely different principle.

The use of words like xenon refers to gas mixture inside the bulb, not the technology used to light the bulb.

For your 05 S model, it probably does not have HID lights, but you can add auxilliary PIAA driving lights (driving lights have a pencil beam pattern vs. the wider pattern of fog lights). You can also put PIAA bulbs in your headlights, and yes the light will be whiter and perceptably brighter, but its not the same as a true high intensity discharge setup.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, thanks for the information. So Eric...based upon what you are telling me. I could just install the PIAA lights w/o having to do any special wiring and get a better "brightness" than I have now from my OEM bulbs right? And by installing these new lights, I won't "fry" anything or "break" anything in my lighting system?

I know that they will never be true HID, but an upgrade is an upgrade. Any recommendations from you personally?

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Yes you can use PIAA bulbs in your headlights. Stick with stock wattage and you will be fine.

PIAA likes to use their own ratings, like 55w=85w, and that means the bulb draws 55w, but looks like 85w output. Its not true 85w, but I guess the "whiteness" is equivalent to a normal halogen at the higher wattage. PIAA bulbs are quality made, but no aftermarket bulb lasts as long as a standard halogen bulb. Figure on replacing the $70/pair PIAAs every one or two years as they blow out (its the same with all other aftermarket bulbs that use overdriven filaments).

Stick with the white bulbs, and stay away from blue or purple bulbs (which have less usable output, even if the wattage is higher).

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good stuff...Again thanks for the information! Any thoughts on the sylvannia bulbs??

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
The Sylvania silverstar delivers a nice white light, but is also an overdriven filament - so it will need replacement often. Its cheaper than PIAA though, and you can get them at your local Autozone or Kragen, etc..

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Or you can retrofit the S model murano

with factory OEM HID system. Dont confuse this with aftermarket HID kit! I used genuine nissan ballast, wiring, bulbs and of course the OEM murano projector headlight housing itself.

Me and Jack (not to be confused with Jaak ;) ) did this around a year ago as we both got the SL model with no HID. The result is good.

Do a search in the forum under "HID replacement"
http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=936&highlight=HId+replacement

1 - 9 of 9 Posts