Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2000K mi on my 04 Mo. It pings under light acceleration especially on a hot day (80F+ outside). I have used nothing but super, exept for once. When I used 87 it pinged worse. I am so pissed off. A brand new car shouldn't do that.

What could be causing this? Timing? Ignition? Bad fuel (I have used various gas stations with the same result).

What do you think a dealer will do with this problem? I am hoping it will not be -- "use the additive / booster with each fill up" type of answer.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Well IF he can reproduce, I should imagine he will look at the operation of the Knock Sensor. Maybe replace same.

It's just a failure of a part IMO.

It happens.

Homer

·
Registered
155 Posts
Do you hear a pinging sound too? I do too, at first I thought it might be sonar until I realized I'm not underwater. Then I adjusted my tinfoil hat and I can only hear the voices now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What brand of gas do you use?
I have found that not all gas were created equal, even though they are all rated to be premium or super or whatever.
I used to fillup with Costco 93 Octane, but my car pinged like there is no tomorrow. When I complained to dealer, they told me to switch to Shell, and everything was fine.

So just the fact that it is Premium/Super doesn't guarantee the quality, choose a good brand gas too.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I used to hear knocking all the time with super after about 10k mi.(exxon/mobil - speedpass keychain addict..)
I did a tank with one of the more pricey fuel injector cleaner variants and I don't notice it as much anymore (hardly ever, really). Before I'd only hear it in the 1000-2000 rpm range while driving conservatively.. it always went away as soon as I let the engine get much higher.

Did the injector cleaner help? I dunno.. but it seeled a more cost effective way to experiment vs. having the dealer clean the injectors like they wanted to for about $90...

·
Registered
145 Posts
I would have it checked by the dealer. I run the 87 and 89 from the cheapest gas stations I can find. In So. Ca. it has been over 100f and I have never heard a ping. even with a load of Mt Bikes and riders climbing mountain roads I have not heard one ping.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts