Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I applied pinstriping last year, but it didn't last so it came off after several months.

Not a whole lot of videos online, most of them deal with straight body lines and simple ends, not at all conducive to the Murano's awesome lines.

So this time I decided that I'd video document applying profession grade pinstriping. Well I tried. They may be a little too slow for some, and video quality leaves something to be desired, but I believe most of it can be helpful to those who are just want to try it for themselves. I didn't realized that glare was obscuring the area where I was working on the front fender. I show the design clearly in the later videos. I've broken the job down to several videos for easier viewing.

It took me about 3 hours total. Had to keep taking a break to give my back a rest. Hope this helps someone out, it's not as hard as you'd think.

The pinstriping matches the paint with the metal flake, almost looks like its painted.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Good job. I probably would have opted for a solid color but yours should look good in sunlight. I tried to pinstripe my Maxima a couple of years ago but my hands are not as steady as they used to be so I gave up.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
For some reason, you can only have 5 videos per post. Here's a new 6th one, this one shows all of the drive's side pinstriping in full sunlight. I'll do a full walk-around in the sun soon.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I appreciate the post in case I ever decide to try it. You did a great job! Sorry that some people had to express their dislike of your design choice. How long do you think an experienced person would take to stripe it? My dealer has it as a very over priced add-on along with door edge guards which are about the easiest thing ever to diy.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate the post in case I ever decide to try it. You did a great job! Sorry that some people had to express their dislike of your design choice. How long do you think an experienced person would take to stripe it? My dealer has it as a very over priced add-on along with door edge guards which are about the easiest thing ever to diy.
An experienced person should be able to it in less then an hour on a new car with straight lines. Longer if it's a car with curvy lines or needs extensive cleaning. This is only the second time I've done pinstriping. Since I first posted, I saw several things that I didn't like on the passengers side, so today I ripped it all off and redid it. Took me about an hour and half but came out much better this time.

As far as cost, a simple painted strip on both sides can be over $200. The professional pinstriping material cost me less then $20 and it's enough for 5 cars. Plenty of extra, so mistakes can be corrected cheaply and quickly. Also, there's plenty of colors and width combinations that you can use. Don't be afraid to be creative. Doodle designs to give you ideas. Have fun.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Great work as usual...

I bought some stripes a long time ago, but decided against doing it, since I did not think it would good

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great work as usual...

I bought some stripes a long time ago, but decided against doing it, since I did not think it would good
The right color combo really accentuates the lines of the Murano. My first time I used one of those strip kits from China. Lasted less then a month before it started to peel. This time I went with the professional grade pinstriping material. Loads of color chooses and width combos. Much better quality also. Less then $20 for a reel that will do several cars.

Have a good day.

·
Super Moderator
7,791 Posts
Many cars benefit from a single or double pinstripe line along a fender point or ridge. Great thing about tape is that it's cheap, and you can change your mind as many times as you wish.

Here's a stripe chart for a '67 GTO, and it really pointed up that car...

And an installed stripe (never can resist showing off GTO pix...)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Looks like you did a nice job with the pin-striping. To each his own on preferences, personally I like it on a straighter lined car like the GTO but not on the curvy Murano. I can see in your picture you have running boards on the Murano, are they aftermarket?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With the lines of the Murano, a straight pinstripe would just look weird and out of place.

Running boards came from AliExpress. Very sturdy, helps me get in the car with less pain. Plus I like the way they look. There's a lengthy post of the install, along with Assad's running board installation.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
177 Posts
With the lines of the Murano, a straight pinstripe would just look weird and out of place.

Running boards came from AliExpress. Very sturdy, helps me get in the car with less pain. Plus I like the way they look. There's a lengthy post of the install, along with Assad's running board installation.

Have a good day.
I agree a straight line would like ridiculous on the Murano. What I meant was I personally prefer a pinstripe on a car with straighter lines.

Cheers

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I decided to try my hand at pinstriping some relatively straight lines.

The victim is a 2013 Rav4 that my wife drives. I tried for several months this summer getting her into a 2019 Nissan Kicks, but with less then 75K miles on the Rav4 and being driven less then 100 miles a week, she wants to keep it to 100K miles. She'll probably be getting a 2022 Kicks by then.

The front design I just came up with on the fly, just something a little different. I plan on adding a gold metallic accent strip to the center of the pinstrips in the near future.

After seeing Muranothree's picture (Afraid to show us here your sweet ride?) of her new Murano with the pinstriping on Facebook, I liked how the white pinstripe pulled out the swooping lines of the Murano. If you watch the video, towards the end I show what I've added to the Murano's pinstriping to pull it out.

Have a good day.

·
Super Moderator
7,791 Posts
Congrats to PaulDay! I think that striping looks great. The RAV came off especially nicely, and I love the overlapping spears on the forward tip of the stripes. Well placed, too.

I'm really impressed with the smooth taping job on the curves of the Murano. That's difficult! I like the wider shot at the very end; it gives me more of an idea at the overall look.

Nice work.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts