Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new here (officially) but have been viewing these forums for some time now. I have reviewed many of the stickies and many of the forums and cannot decide which tire to go with.

I have an '04 AWD Murano w/NAV and TPMS. So, my dillema is - do I stay close to the original size, e.g not venturing outside of 255/60/18 or is it safe to consider 265/60/18?

I really like Kumho Ecsta STX stats but with all the gadgetry in my MO I'm afraid to either void the warranty or screw up the critical systems - such as Traction, ABS, NAV, and TPMS.

I do not want to get OEM, as they were complete crap. So, with that, my choices are:

SAFE (e.g. close to original):

TOYO Proxes S/T 255/60/18
Pirelli Scorpion Zero 255/60/18

and venturing out of the "comfort zone":
Kumho Ecsta STX 265/60/18.

I aready found some reviews of Kumho's and extensive reporting on the tire, my concern is - I don't want to affect any of the critical electronic systems and wonder if this would be an acceptable replacement.

As far as Toyo vs Pirelli - I hear Pirellis have poor wear, Toyos have poor cornering, etc.

So, can anyone help me decide??? I need to get tires ASAP, as mine are beyond being safe.

Thanks in advance for all useful replies!

-cheers!:cool:

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
As long as you change all four tires, the Kumhos are not so far off from the stock tire diameter that it would affect anything on the Murano. Go with whichever tire you like best.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
I found the Toyo's for MUCH cheaper than the Pirelli's, if that's a factor. Stopping power of the Toyo's is amazing, even in rain (and small amounts of snow). Cornering is still much better than the Goodyears.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tyler_Canada said:
I found the Toyo's for MUCH cheaper than the Pirelli's, if that's a factor. Stopping power of the Toyo's is amazing, even in rain (and small amounts of snow). Cornering is still much better than the Goodyears.
Sadly, that hasn't been the case... 1010tire has Toyos for $169 US, while tirerack has Pirelli Scorpions for $142... And Kumho for $109.

At least on paper, Kumho looks to be a better choice in all aspects, except the size. Wondering if using an out-of-spec tire would do anything to the warranty...

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
cynep said:

Sadly, that hasn't been the case... 1010tire has Toyos for $169 US, while tirerack has Pirelli Scorpions for $142... And Kumho for $109.

At least on paper, Kumho looks to be a better choice in all aspects, except the size. Wondering if using an out-of-spec tire would do anything to the warranty...
www.bigwheels.net has the Toyos for $138. That's where I bought mine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tyler_Canada said:

www.bigwheels.net has the Toyos for $138. That's where I bought mine.
Thanks for the link, mate! Much appreciated. I take it you're a Toyo believer and I did see your posts about the experience.

Though, I did see several posts where people were almost regreting going to Toyos because of the "soft" sidewall - which caused more lean in cornering.

I don't really care about the $30-$40 difference per tire, as long as I get a long life and good performance out of tire.

I guess it will all matter on personal experience. If I go by paper - the Kumhos are the best choice, performance and cost-wise. If they had the tire size 255/60/18 - I wouldn't even think twice. So, before I leap to Toyos - does anyone have any experience with Pirelli? The Tirerack rep told me they have a pretty bad treadlife - I can expect maybe 20-25K mi tops. That's a bit low for almost $150/tire. That's why I'd put Pirelli's in the last spot.

So, Tyler, final question - how's the treadwear on Toyos? Is it good/bad/acceptable?

Let me know mate and thanks to everyone for quick feedback.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Cynep - if you have reviewed the tire threads I'm sure you realize choosing replacement tires can be confusing. Some people love the OEM GDY's and happily reinstall them. Others,like yourself, don't like them at all. This difference of opinion applies to most of the tire options. Different people have different priorities ...ride...handling..price...looks. Peruse the various tire sites and read the reviews, then make your choice.....I have 33,000 kms on 265 x 60 x 18 Yokos and think ther'e great....no problems with the "plus" size and as long as you use original wheel, you shouldn't get any warranty hassle.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I really like my Toyo's. Dry and wet handling are far superior to the OEM. Cornering is also superior. I don't know what other reviews have said about soft sidewalls and cornering it makes no sense. Usually performance tires have stiffer sidewalls to keep the lateral movement to a minimum. These tires can handle more of a corner then I dare throw my MO until I upgrade the suspension. One thing I really like is with the directional pattern, my tires do not get caught in the concrete freeway grooves that can make the car move side to side or jiggle like the Goodyears did.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
As far as treadwear, I only have 12,000 miles on them, but they still look new. Lots of tread depth left. The Goodyears only made it to 36,000 miles, and I've been cornering much harder with these tires, so wear seems good.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
cynep said:
Hi, I'm new here (officially) but have been viewing these forums for some time now. I have reviewed many of the stickies and many of the forums and cannot decide which tire to go with.

I have an '04 AWD Murano w/NAV and TPMS. So, my dillema is - do I stay close to the original size, e.g not venturing outside of 255/60/18 or is it safe to consider 265/60/18?
-cheers!:cool:
Did they change the size on the 04? My 03 has stock 265/65/18.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Re: Pirelli vs Toyo vs Kumho

Gonzo said:

Did they change the size on the 04? My 03 has stock 265/65/18.
Just checked - it is 235/65/18 on our '04. Dunno if yours came with aftermarket? Did you get yours used? Check tirerack.com - the standard for '03 and 04 is the 235.

I finally made up my mind - going with Toyos. I'll be sure to report my findings at later time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts