Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well the dreadful thing has happened. the front bug deflector broke off on the highway on our trip. half of it snapped and the other half was flappin and hitting the hood and left a major gash until we could stop and take it off. goin to the dealership this week to see if they can do something about it. this is a seroious issue, very faulty product. mostlikely going to get the weather tech bug defletor.any issues with that one, the only thing i'm worried about with that one is that it covers a smaller area that the nissan one. responses would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
If the dealer installed your hood deflector, then they are probably responsible for not tightening the screws down. However if you installed it yourself, then the dealer might not be able to do much for you, even if its a nissan bug deflector.

I highly recommend the Colgan nosemask, I had the Weathertech, it was ok but the Colgan is so much more slick.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
There was a guy around here for the longest time called Rainbowfarm .
He had the same problem and he found that Nissan had TWO deflectors. One, the early one, that was defective and broke and the second one that was OK.

I don't know where those posts are, but here is a old thread with Rainbowfarm in it.
http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=458&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

This thread has a good bit on the weathertech too. Pix etc.

He was one of our northern friends.

Homer

·
Registered
36 Posts
good luck getting a new one if you go to nissan - they are currently changing vendors for all forms of deflectors and because of that they are on backorder

·
Registered
278 Posts
Homer to the rescue

Howdy, Homer. Nice to see you again, and thanks so much for the personal invite. I have a few news on the bug deflector thing, and some on the self-locking driver's door, and some other plastic that we spoke about way back when.

Since this is the bug deflector thread, here goes. I am quite certain that I read it here that there was BD-2 (bug deflector 2), and that BD-1 flew off and damaged the vehicle.

So, I suggested that they install #2 (I am in Canada), which they had not heard of. There was only one available. I asked them whether they really wanted to repaint the vehicle if it flies off.

It flew off.

It scratched the hood. The vehicle, when I bought it, had some damage to the paint, and so they did it all at the same time, and discovered BD-2 and installed it. It came loose after installation (along with rain guards on passenger doors, all 4 of them).

They tightened it. I thought it was loose again, because the nipple was no longer under the deflector (driver side nipple). As it turns out, BD-2 is still firmly in place, but the nipple had shifted. Yesterday, they wiped off the glue mess and repositioned the nipple. Asked if I wanted a bra, and I said that the deflector was sufficient.

That was a joke.

Off to doors and stuff.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
My bug deflector came off 3 times:

1. It was dealer installed and came off (at about 120km/h).
2. Dealer reattached, it came off (at about 120km/h).
3. Dealer reattached, it came off (at about 120km/h).
4. I reattached, did it right, and it has never come off since, and I've been up to 180km/h a lot of times since.

I bought mine in March '03, so it was definately a "revision 1" model.

·
NO-MO-SNOW
891 Posts
Any noticeable wind noise from these deflectors? I think its about time I get one.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I do not notice any noise from any of it

The sunroof thing reduces noise, it seems to me, when the roof is open.

The door and hood stuff does not seem to make noise. I love rain deflectors, but this is the first time I have had them.

Everything was dealer-installed. I will not fix their work. They can do it as many times as they have to. They have repainted much of the thing (the car/truck/space ship/Murano) already. If they wanna keep repeating the same work, fine with me. I enjoy service time. I take the day off to go shopping, etc., in a loaner (no charge), usually a Murano or a Maxima, sometimes an Altima or ... dare I speak the name? What is that little thing they make?

One of those.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Must be nice to A) be able to take the day off a lot, B) get a free loaner. Given that I get neither of those, why would I want to take my car to the dealer 50 times for the same thing? Why would I want to allow the deflector to continue to come off, and create more scratches on my hood, which won't be repaired properly?

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Snow MO said:
Any noticeable wind noise from these deflectors? I think its about time I get one.
There is a bit of a whistle with the bug deflector, but a good thing that I like is that I can use my wipers at much higher speeds now. The sunroof deflector quiets things down a lot.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well go the bug deflector 2 installed. this one has a couple more screws and the mounting brackets are different. sturdy as hell. good stuff.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Snow Mo.

3 words if you're considering the bug deflector.

WEATH-ER-TECH

nuff said.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts