Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to say , I am very disappointed on my 2020 platinum Murano ... it is the noisiest car I have ever sat on ... period.
I was a Kia customer for 6 years (two Sorentos SX in a row) but since the 2020 Sorento was still the same model in 2020 , I didn`t want to get another one that would be the same exact model , so I went to Nissan and chose a Murano Platinum Pearl White with Cashmere interior ... beautiful car and I was thrilled until I took it out on the highway ... it is so noisy inside that at speeds over 65 mph I cannot hear the radio , much less even talk to someone in the rear seat .
Two days ago , it was raining and went to Home Depot and while on the road at about 40 -45 mph , the rain was hitting the underside of the car by bouncing from the road and the rolling tires and the sound was incredible . I have never heard something like that in my life... it sounded like there was no insulation underneath the car... at all . The rain was bouncing under the car like on a sheet of metal .
I mean , come on , I can understand some small issues , but this level of noise inside the car (it comes mainly from the rear of the car , but the front is also loud around the floor and the doors ) is really unheard of .
I even started to think that maybe I was handed a crashed and rebuilt car as a brand new 2020 car ... I was getting crazy on this , I guess.
My two previous Sorentos compared to this 2020 Murano Platinum were many times quieter.
I got the car on a lease on last Feb and I can`t wait to next Feb to see if I can get rid of it and get me a Kia Sorento SX again .
Sorry, folks , but that is the sad truth about this Nissan Murano .
My stay as a Nissan customer will be a very short one , I am afraid .

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Was the Murano you leased different in its noise level than the '20 Murano you presumably test drove?

I haven't driven a Sorrento, so I can't compare noise levels... However, my '19 is reasonably quiet, especially compared to my '03 Murano. I would think it's about what you can expect regarding road noise in its price category, but it sounds like the Sorrento has the edge in this regard for you...

Maybe for some odd reason your Murano is missing the sound deadening materials...

Have you test driven any other '20 Muranos to compare?

Reactions: Dlambert22

·
Registered
572 Posts
I must agree with Josey. My 2017 Platinum is the first car I have ever gone to the extent of removing panels and installing sound deadening material. That is because it is very noisey on the highway. Unfortunately I did not test drive it on the highway prior to buying it, only drove it in town (wont make that mistake again).

MuranoSL2003, you mentioned that its possible Josey is missing the sound deadening materials. Which ones are you referring to? I'm just curious, because I had none as well... maybe there was a change from year to year to year?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
A number of car reviews mention lots of sound deadening materials, though I have no personal experience looking for them... Though there are some reviews that mention it could use more...

The Murano does have acoustic laminated glass, I'm not sure if the 3rd gen always had it or it was a '19 upgrade...

·
Registered
572 Posts
A number of car reviews mention lots of sound deadening materials, though I have no personal experience looking for them... Though there are some reviews that mention it could use more...

The Murano does have acoustic laminated glass, I'm not sure if the 3rd gen always had it or it was a '19 upgrade...
There definately is no sound deadening in the doors or hatch. Possibly some along the floor, but I didnt look there.

As for the laminated glass, I think it might only be the windshield. Doesnt seem to help much though.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Really good all season tires are noisy in the rain.

I’d recommend you find the crappiest tires you can and install those for satisfaction in the noise department. But drive carefully.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well, I did not test the car on a highway , I just took it a couple of miles around the dealership , just like every other car dealerships will allow you normally to do . Big mistake , I would now insist on a highway spin from now on , for sure.
My Murano is a 2020 Platinum , the top of the line model and there is no sound insulation anywhere at all . If anything , the people at the factory forgot to do any insulation on my car , if that cut be even possible . That is the most sane explanation I can come up .
The experience has been for me thru this almost whole year , very disappointed on the car .
No more Nissans of any kind for sure .

·
Registered
796 Posts
All trims have the same sound deadening material, S, SV, SL and Platinum. It could be caused by a loose or torn weatherstripping, loose or missing grommet, bad weld that left a gap in body panels, etc. It's not a Lexus or Mercedes but I think it should be as quiet as a Sorento if not a little bit more. If you have Bridgestone Dueler Sport AS tires as on most if not all Platinum built since the 2015 came out, they are known to be noisy. Can you try another Platinum or SL (they have the same 235/55/20 tires) at your dealer and see if it's just as noisy as yours? Perhaps I should try a Sorento as I enjoy a quiet vehicle!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is not something smallish like a loose weatherstripping or a missing grommet . It is the whole car , specially from the rear and also the front and sides ... There is no noise insulation of any kind on this car in its entire underneath and sides and even the roof ... it is extraordinarily noisy from 60 mph and on . I cannot hear the radio at those speeds . I myself cannot understand how is it possible that in 2020 a Nissan top of the line model would have that unacceptable level of inside noise .
I am now soo fed up with this that I am not going to try to check another Nissan .
I gave Nissan a try and it failed big time .
Back to Kia for sure in Feb .

·
Registered
2020 Nissan Murano Platinum AWD
31 Posts
I would test drive another from the dealership. Mine is decently quiet, a lot more quiet than my (replaced) Jeep Patriot or my wife's Liberty.

·
Registered
864 Posts
We have owned a ‘16, ‘17.5, and ‘18. All very quiet relative to other brands and models. I usually drive Hondas and Fords. The Murano is quieter.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Our 2017.5 (also previous 2007) is much quieter than my 2014 Avalon (Toyota flagship sedan).
(Toyota forgot about tires noise. The sunroof cover doesn't stay 100% closed & may rattle awhile in the morning when cold).

·
Registered
572 Posts
As mentioned in my earlier post, I dont think the Murano is quiet at highway speeds by any means, but I can still hold a conversation and hear the radio.

Something seems amiss in your case.

I would take a look at your tires and see if they are wearing evenly. You may be having an issue with one or more of your tires which is causing excess road noise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I must agree with Josey. My 2017 Platinum is the first car I have ever gone to the extent of removing panels and installing sound deadening material. That is because it is very noisey on the highway. Unfortunately I did not test drive it on the highway prior to buying it, only drove it in town (wont make that mistake again). bluestacks.red omegle.red root bluestacks

·
Registered
4 Posts
I won't make excuses but I don't notice this noise on my 2015. It's pretty quiet. That said there are some BIG plastic panels on the underside of the car- They run front to back - basically the length of the doors. Perhaps these are creating some of the noise you hear as they are not the heaviest material. I doubt you want to start tearing apart a brand new car but IF you want to mess with it I would do 2 things. 1) take the two panels off and spray the inside of the plastic with rubberized undercoating (3M brand is great). This will probably help in the rain and being on the inside, it will never wear. While the panels are down I would hit the underside of the floor with spray cans of truck bed liner. This will take some of the tinniness sounds away. Unlike the undercoating, it won't hold moisture and create the potential for rust. The latter is a messy job without a lift.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been driving my ‘20 Murano for two months and cannot complain, it seems relatively quiet to me. I previously had a ‘19 Rogue, and the Murano is much quieter! I agree that you should go to the dealership and ask to drive another Murano to compare.

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Murano Platinum
11 Posts
I have to say , I am very disappointed on my 2020 platinum Murano ... it is the noisiest car I have ever sat on ... period.
I was a Kia customer for 6 years (two Sorentos SX in a row) but since the 2020 Sorento was still the same model in 2020 , I didn`t want to get another one that would be the same exact model , so I went to Nissan and chose a Murano Platinum Pearl White with Cashmere interior ... beautiful car and I was thrilled until I took it out on the highway ... it is so noisy inside that at speeds over 65 mph I cannot hear the radio , much less even talk to someone in the rear seat .
Two days ago , it was raining and went to Home Depot and while on the road at about 40 -45 mph , the rain was hitting the underside of the car by bouncing from the road and the rolling tires and the sound was incredible . I have never heard something like that in my life... it sounded like there was no insulation underneath the car... at all . The rain was bouncing under the car like on a sheet of metal .
I mean , come on , I can understand some small issues , but this level of noise inside the car (it comes mainly from the rear of the car , but the front is also loud around the floor and the doors ) is really unheard of .
I even started to think that maybe I was handed a crashed and rebuilt car as a brand new 2020 car ... I was getting crazy on this , I guess.
My two previous Sorentos compared to this 2020 Murano Platinum were many times quieter.
I got the car on a lease on last Feb and I can`t wait to next Feb to see if I can get rid of it and get me a Kia Sorento SX again .
Sorry, folks , but that is the sad truth about this Nissan Murano .
My stay as a Nissan customer will be a very short one , I am afraid .
Honestly I really think that your issue you will find is with the brand of tires that are on it. Because with my 05 I had Cooper cs5's I believe and they were the most noisy tires that I ever had on a vehicle and when I switched over to a softer rubber AS tire the noise level dropped to where you could literally hear the thoughts in your head. Now I also have a 2015 platinum and I do have to say compared to the 05 this thing is almost comparable to driving a top of the line Cadillac in my own opinion. So try looking around for specific all season tires that are quieter and I can almost promise you that the noise will be much better than what you are hearing now. It will change your mind for sure. The tires are what are making it so loud unless they removed the muffler and just put straight pipes on there but I highly doubt that haha. Good luck

·
Registered
100 Posts
I agree with checking out the tires like others have said. Especially since you mentioned there of rain hitting the underside. Sounds like it could be excessive spray onto the wheel well covers or something weird like that. I have had cars in the past too where those panel trims that go around the edges of the doors and in between the doors on the outside get a little loose and buzz on the interstate. If its a lease than I guess try to trade next year, I dont know what to say as I buy all my cars and drive them till end of life. I do all the general maintenance and repairs as well so it ends up being cheaper. Not saying I know for sure about today's quality as im sure they are probably getting better, but Kia's didn't used to be known for their longevity. Of course nissan/renault isn't as good as nissan used to be either but up their with honda and Toyota. I hear Mazda is making some changes for the better lately!

·
Registered
2020 Nissan Murano Platinum AWD
31 Posts
So - to put some numbers to it, see the video below. They also mentioned it could be the tires, FYI. It is louder than the other two, but not as much as OP described.

64db on the Murano (7:30)
61db on the Edge (19:25)
60db on the Passport (32:35)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Honestly I really think that your issue you will find is with the brand of tires that are on it. Because with my 05 I had Cooper cs5's I believe and they were the most noisy tires that I ever had on a vehicle and when I switched over to a softer rubber AS tire the noise level dropped to where you could literally hear the thoughts in your head. Now I also have a 2015 platinum and I do have to say compared to the 05 this thing is almost comparable to driving a top of the line Cadillac in my own opinion. So try looking around for specific all season tires that are quieter and I can almost promise you that the noise will be much better than what you are hearing now. It will change your mind for sure. The tires are what are making it so loud unless they removed the muffler and just put straight pipes on there but I highly doubt that haha. Good luck
I agree on the tire comments. My 2020 SL has Brigestone Duelers on it they are super quiet and I saw somewhere they can last 80,000 miles?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts