Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I need help.
I purchase MO 2 week’s ago. I am very , very , very happy. Except gas ML. Computer shows 11.8!!!!!!!!!!!! Or on the "good day" 12.7. I reset it twice. Still same numbers.. I have only 450ml but still... I am really want to see that you guys see 18 and 20 :) Should I take it to the dealership? Thank you .

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
For the best possible number, take it onto an interstate highway, reset the counter while you're on the on ramp, and set the cruise at around 60 mph (don't know kph, sorry.. what is that, 80? 82?) the first time I did that, the first number to pop up was 27mpg. And after my cross-country trip, 6,500+ miles the avg was 19.9 or 20.0, something like that, and I normally set the cruise at 83mph for that trip.

Yes, it is possible to avg 20mpg, even in mixed driving.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My mileage steadly improved over time and miles. At 3 months and 4,700 miles I'm getting 18 city and 23 hwy (at 60-65 mph). Be patient and give your Mo a chance to break in.:cool:

·
Registered
844 Posts
MP, Lt/100 Km

To EasternPA, 60MPH is 100 Kmh, I believe that the KM scale is in the lower section of your speedometer.

At 100 Km/h I have been able to get 9.3 liters/100 Km which works out to 32miles per imperial gallon which is slighty larger than a US gallon(One imperial gallon is 4.5 liters and a US gallon is 3.89 liters).

One way to check this out is that the fuel economy can show you either USMPG or Liters/ 100 Km, all you have to do is to change the scale over using the EM button on the far left of the screen. I know that the US has not switch over yet to the metric system but this should give you another way to compare your fuel economy.

A friend of mine from CA told me that the US is switching over to the metric system,one inch at a time.

On my Mo I am presently getting 12.5Lt/100 city and 9.3 Lt/100 Hwy( 24 MPG city and 32Mpg Hwy per imperial gallon) and that is with using midrange fuel (89 octane) The Mo and the CvT transmission gives the best fuel economy if you just be a little softer on the acceralation especially in city driving, I find that the Mo does quite well in doing this and delivers the fuel economy.

I am going on holidays with my trailer in a few weeks and I will report back to everyone on how well the towing went. I will be switching from 89 octane to 91 octane to see if there is any difference:2:

·
Registered
844 Posts
MPG

Forgot to mention that to get 9.3Lts/ 100 KM that my hwy speed is 100 KPH (60MPH) and city driving is roughly 80 Kph is 50 MPH. That 9.3Lts was done going to Banff, going up and down hills and not a straight stretch of Hwy.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Your mileage will improve with age. It seems as though ours is still getting better with 20K miles on it. It could be because the right pedal isn't getting pushed as hard as it did early on ;)

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Despite Nissan's claims of improved fuel economy with the CVT, very few owners are getting even close to EPA numbers. I get approx 15mpg in the city and 20-21 on the highway (avg 70mph).

Some people get very low city mpg because of many starts and stops (for example, heavy city gridlock). Others claim miraculous city mileage because they either take long trips in the city (say 10+ miles) or live in the suburbs where they can drive faster with less stops.

I am usually surprised that I get good fuel economy (mid 20's) when I am in heavy highway traffic. I then figured that the heavy traffic was limiting me to 50-60mph, which explained the excellent mileage.

·
Registered
844 Posts
MPG

I always find it interesting that Mo owners find that they get good gas mileage when they do not drive too fast, what is the rush?. When fuel prices are the highest they have everybeen ($.92/Lt) you would think that to save money you would slow down a litttle:D

·
Registered
792 Posts
You can't put a price tag on fun :D

Everytime I drive the Ty I have to do at least one 0-60+ blast.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hmmm.

I'm only on my third tank - 700+ miles. I'm getting 21mpg computer, 20mpg calculated. Driving is a mix of city and highway driving.

If it really does get better with age, I'll be a happy camper.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Is it possible his E/M switch is in the metric position. I can't imagine 12mpg.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just got my MO a little over a Month ago and went through the same worries about the MPG.

I do 50/50 surface and highway travel during the work week and was only getting 15 to 15.5 (about 11 to 12 on surface only). This lack of performance and some issues with the sunroof caused me to give the dealer and NNA some nasty e-mails and phone calls. I had them make sure the fuel cell wasn't leaking and that everything was correctly calibrated etc.

The Dealer didn't help matters by claiming that NOBODY has been getting lower than advertised MPG results (NNA was not much better.) Really? If that's true, then THIS MO has a problem....if not then tell me about what's really going on.
They'd rather BS you than speak the truth.

Over the last two weeks my average has slowly climbed up to 16.6.
One thing that has lowered my mpg is running the A/C on high, and living in Las Vegas you have to run the A/C quite a bit.
I get MUCH better mpg in the morning when I don't use the Air and the drive to work is going down hill.

Don't worry, it will get better.
It might not hit the ideal of 20 MPG in city......but it will get better.

·
Registered
38 Posts
That's my only complaint also

I have an all highway 150 mile (round trip) commute, and I generally get 18-19 (19 when cruise is set 65, 18 when it's set at 80). I'm now at about 6k miles after 3 months of ownership and was really hoping it'd improve and I'd be at least 20 on the highway

·
Registered
155 Posts
At about 3500 miles, almost all city driving, I'm getting about 16 US mpg. I drive much too fast, and run with regular fuel at 87 octane. I'll be giving my darling a true test in a couple of weeks, driving to Alaska and Yukon. There is not much radar or policia on the way, and plenty of empty twisty roads, but I've promised myself to practice some restraint and try to get in at least one day of driving at 50-60 mph just to see what highway mileage is possible.

OK, maybe not a whole day of driving slow, one tank should be enough of that.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
LS7, I think most on the forum were gulping when the MO was brand new, I left the dealer and looked at the MPG, it showed 11.1 MPG. Each week it steadily increased. I'm still hoping for better, I topped out at 20.8 MPG. There was almost no highway driving, just rural 50-55MPH with stoplights and such.
I'm curious and still checking the numbers but when I switched a month or so back to mid-grade gas, I have lost 1 MPG. It also may be due to the A/C always on at this time of year. I do not notice any other effect but my wife reported a rough idle when sitting at a drive thru window at the bank. That has disappeared, it was a one time burble. When the high test gas gets back down to maybe 1.75 per gallon, I'll switch back to the good stuff. As some others have mentioned, use a light foot on that pedal. I promise, it will get better.
Bob1

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
bob1 said:
LS7, I think most on the forum were gulping when the MO was brand new, I left the dealer and looked at the MPG, it showed 11.1 MPG. Each week it steadily increased. I'm still hoping for better, I topped out at 20.8 MPG. There was almost no highway driving, just rural 50-55MPH with stoplights and such.
I'm curious and still checking the numbers but when I switched a month or so back to mid-grade gas, I have lost 1 MPG. It also may be due to the A/C always on at this time of year. I do not notice any other effect but my wife reported a rough idle when sitting at a drive thru window at the bank. That has disappeared, it was a one time burble. When the high test gas gets back down to maybe 1.75 per gallon, I'll switch back to the good stuff. As some others have mentioned, use a light foot on that pedal. I promise, it will get better.
Bob1

You have a unique case where you drive mainly on empty roads and at the magic speed - 50-55mph. The MO gets great mileage in that range. You will probably get worse highway mileage on the highway (it drops to about 19-20 going 70mph).

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a 70 mile commute each way...almost all highway. I consistently get between 23.0 and 23.5 mpg for each tank. I am usually travelling ~70 MPH. Make sure that you reset your MPG after each fill up, so that you can keep track. If you don't, those first few tanks of low mileage will be averaged in.

I usually fill my tank after having driven between 400 - 450 miles, and I get about 19 gallons in there....using either 89 or 92 octane. I have not noticed a real difference between the grades or whether the AC is on or not. The difference that I see has to do with how fast I am driving. The best mileage is between 45 - 55 MPH, and then it degrades after that. One tank during break-in (when I was keeping it slow), I got 25.0 MPG for the entire tank.

Andy
04 SL AWD Touring, VDC
K&N Air Filter

·
Registered
265 Posts
What I have noticed is that I get the best Milage with Premium Gas with the way I drive. I have also noticed that if i stay below 2500 RPM's that my gas mileage stays around 18.4. If you want to see improved gas mileage try keeping your RPM's low ( that means no quick accelerations).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just another thought. I ALWAYS figure out the mileage manually, that is, miles driven since last fillup divided by gallons put in at this fillup.

I've actually found that the trip mileage computer is low (first time I've ever seen this). I had a 2003 Maxima where the trip computer said 27 consistently, yet the car really only got 24. This is for mixed city and highway driving during commuting. I averaged 23.4 MPG for an entire tankful with my new MO (mostly highway), and the trip computer said 19.2, so if you really want to know what mileage you're getting, forget the computer and figure it out the only way you'll get the truth!!!

Trust me, you'll be surprised, these trip computers are bull$hit.

I even called Nissan and talked to 2 service techs to see if I could correct this, since I could correct it on my BMW 528, but they said no, you couldn't modify it.

REVHIGH !!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Trust me, you'll be surprised, these trip computers are bull$hit.
So True.
I've only had my MO for a month and a half now, today I filled-up and ran the numbers.....it reads 1 mpg less than if you calc it. The last time I did the math, it was only 0.5 on the low side.

I can't wait to see how much the computer is off in another month or two.

My mileage has slowly improved from around 15 mpg to 17.5 mpg over the first 45 days.

My MO is finally getting better mileage than the Jeep Cherokee that it replaced! :20:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts