Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
At what point in the above photo did you reset the trip computer? Did you reset it while stopped, then accelerated to 60 MPH, or did you reset the trip computer while traveling at 60 MPH?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it was reset while moving at approx 30 mph.
this has been done at many different speeds.
it seems that the trip meter only detects correctly for a few moments and then steadily drops to a lower reading.
I have already replaced both CVT speed sensors (ISS & OSS) but I am quickly beginning to believe the parts were defective right out of the box, but which one, or both ?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
What happens if you reset the trip computer while traveling steadily at 60 MPH, then continuing to drive steadily at 60 for a period of time?

Just curious, why is the trip computer's accuracy so important to you that you want to spend money and time on it?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rationally speaking, is that these cars sensors all rely upon one another. and when one fails eventually it will cause them all to fail due to the computer receiving bad
Information.
which would lead me to wanting to get rid of it.
Besides that, I have always kept my car's running smoothly without issue and not creating a headache for someone else if I ever sold it..... Currently I am averaging 32 city-38 hwy which isn't anything to sneeze at especially with the price of fuel nowadays.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Rationally speaking, is that these cars sensors all rely upon one another. and when one fails eventually it will cause them all to fail due to the computer receiving bad
Information.
which would lead me to wanting to get rid of it.
Besides that, I have always kept my car's running smoothly without issue and not creating a headache for someone else if I ever sold it..... Currently I am averaging 32 city-38 hwy which isn't anything to sneeze at especially with the price of fuel nowadays.
Is that 32 city-38 hwy calculated by checking the amount of gas you put in, then calculating the MPG?

32 city-38 hwy doesn't sound at all correct... I would expect them to be around 10 MPG lower. I base this on my Murano driving experience -- 16 years for my '03 and 3 years for my '19.

Reactions: ValiantCM

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
exactly and this is why I'm concerned, Im getting different readings between both systems, and I have already run out of fuel when thinking I had at least 100 miles to go,
I just don't feel like having to do the math every single time I fill my cars tank,
maybe it's my OCD, but I would like it to work the way it is supposed to.

I have attached a few pics, all today while driving between 50-60mph over a 45 mins time cycle....Note 3 photos 43.9mpg @ 55.6mph, 32mpg @ 56mph wit speedometer reading almost zero at a red light for 5 mins and 31mpg @ 52 mph...3 mins after reset going 60mph.

Attachments

·
Administrator
9,263 Posts
Respectfully, 32-38 MPG in city driving isn't happening with any Murano ever made.

If the gas gauge works, I'm not sure why running out of gas is a concern. You should use the gas gauge as your reference, not the average MPG reading or "Miles remaining."

That said, I understand why you'd like it to calculate correctly, which is obviously is not. I also can't tell you whether this is a gauge, sensor, or ECU problem. I tend to think of the ECU as a place to look.

There are others here who are better with the computer aspects of the Muranos. Hopefully they will join in.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The service Manuel states that it is calculated and displayed approx every 30 seconds....This is not being done, and therefore I am concerned because if the ECU doesn't get the correct information, then the information display is not going to be correct....potentially causing a response from the ECU in the fuel economy readout which is now showing that I am getting 32+MPG at 60 mph.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
The service Manuel states that it is calculated and displayed approx every 30 seconds....This is not being done, and therefore I am concerned because if the ECU doesn't get the correct information, then the information display is not going to be correct....potentially causing a response from the ECU in the fuel economy readout which is now showing that I am getting 32+MPG at 60 mph.
Yes, and now that you know which components are involved in calculating the values you are concerned about you can narrow down which may be the possible culprit.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
You should know what your car mpg can do upon purchase. Muranos only go 18/24 mpg city/hiway tops. (1st and 2nd gens.) Calculate your mpg via old style - gas put in and odometer reading. If your car is running within that mpg, your car is running properly regardless of what that average gas and speed gauge says. On my 04, I reset the trip and fuel meter after a full tank and check it on the next tank. I usually get 350 miles per tank. 18-19 gal used. The fuel average gauge seems to show similar reading after fill up. Thats mostly city driving.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yes I agree, my Murano get approx 350-425 mpg mostly hwy driving with 91 octane.
not concerned with the mpg actuality but just the readouts....the ECU or sensor is not allowing the readout to show as a 30 second updated interval as it should, I would think that the readouts on the LCD screens should all be reading close to the same info at any given moment. +/- 30 seconds
I have verified the large center screen (distance to empty) against the actual miles driven on the odometer and that reads and is calculating correctly.....it's only the center mini LCD that reads incorrectly as seen in the attached photo.....Note this photo was taken 20 mins after I was on the hwy at a red light, so the speedometer is correct.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
yes I agree, my Murano get approx 350-425 mpg mostly hwy driving with 91 octane.
not concerned with the mpg actuality but just the readouts....the ECU or sensor is not allowing the readout to show as a 30 second updated interval as it should, I would think that the readouts on the LCD screens should all be reading close to the same info at any given moment. +/- 30 seconds
I have verified the large center screen (distance to empty) against the actual miles driven on the odometer and that reads and is calculating correctly.....it's only the center mini LCD that reads incorrectly as seen in the attached photo.....Note this photo was taken 20 mins after I was on the hwy at a red light, so the speedometer is correct.
If you've scanned the ECM and ABS modules and there are no faults, then the issue is probably with the combination meter since it is responsible for taking the data from the ECM and ABS module and calculating/displaying the results you're looking at.

I think what the other posters are getting at is that this kind of problem is more or less an example of the kind of nuisances that one might have to live with when owning a 10+ year-old car and in most cases it's not worth the time or money to fix it. But, if you're loosing sleep at night over this then by all means fix it.

Reactions: MuranoSL2003

·
Registered
226 Posts
Respectfully, 32-38 MPG in city driving isn't happening with any Murano ever made.

If the gas gauge works, I'm not sure why running out of gas is a concern. You should use the gas gauge as your reference, not the average MPG reading or "Miles remaining."

That said, I understand why you'd like it to calculate correctly, which is obviously is not. I also can't tell you whether this is a gauge, sensor, or ECU problem. I tend to think of the ECU as a place to look.

There are others here who are better with the computer aspects of the Muranos. Hopefully they will join in.
forget city mpg. You can’t that on the highway. Best I’ve gotten is 25/26 and that’s if I reset it while on the highway

·
Administrator
9,263 Posts
forget city mpg. You can’t that on the highway. Best I’ve gotten is 25/26 and that’s if I reset it while on the highway
Completely agreed. Anything over 25 MPG highway in a Murano is unusually good.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
If you've scanned the ECM and ABS modules and there are no faults, then the issue is probably with the combination meter since it is responsible for taking the data from the ECM and ABS module and calculating/displaying the results you're looking at.

I think what the other posters are getting at is that this kind of problem is more or less an example of the kind of nuisances that one might have to live with when owning a 10+ year-old car and in most cases it's not worth the time or money to fix it. But, if you're loosing sleep at night over this then by all means fix it.
Honestly, I doubt there is any fix on this. Its not an exact meter. It needs driving time to recalculate and readjust the readout. If you reset it and turn on your AC and see the reading, drive a mile and reset it and turn off your ac, the reading will change but not right away. So yeah, it'll drive you nuts unnecessarily. Its probably been like that ever since and you just happen to notice it now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts