Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got an '04 Mo on 7/31/04. Would really like to have some chrome wheels. Has anyone had their alloy wheels polished ? I had a 350Z and some people on the Z forum had their wheels buffed out and polished and they looked as good as chrome. Seems like it cost around $100 per wheel or less. Beats $1200 for factory wheels.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Promike, polished wheels do not look exactly like chrome. The finish always look a little hazy compared to chrome. And you can wash chrome with just about anything but polished wheels require lots of care and time like if you mistakenly spray most wheel cleaners on them. They stain very easily. And forget about winter for both polished and chromed wheels.

Polished is cheaper than chromed but on the downside, you usually get to know every details of a polished wheel after a few weeks... :)

·
Registered
792 Posts
There are mixed feelings on clear coat. Really a surface has to have texture for the clear to stick to it. With a polished wheel - it is VERY smooth (at least you hope it is :) ). I've heard very good things about ZoopSeal.

http://www.zoops.com/zoopseal.asp

·
Registered
746 Posts
Clear coating will buy you peace of mind for a certain time. But salt and water being propelled by wheels turning at high speed will eventually infiltrate the clear coating in some spots and will make the wheels look ever dirty. Then you have to remove the clear coat, repolish the wheels and coat it again. I strongly believe that chrome is the best looking and cheaper solution in the long run if you avoid winter.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Polished Wheels

I have some 20" Enkei LM1-5s wheels that are getting polished right now. I like the look and shine of chrome, but not the extra weight. Plus, if chrome chips or scratches it cannot be fixed.

Polishing the wheels is a good compromise. If you scratch the rim, a shop can always polish and buff it out.

All the reviews on Zoopseal are positive, but too bad it costs at least $100 for the solution. I'm trying to find a good deal on the stuff somewhere online.

I also read Wheel Wax works pretty well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts