Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based on the knock/ping some MO owners (like me) seem to be having, I'm taking a little poll here. I'd like to know:

1) What type of fuel do you use (87,89,91, other?)

2) Where do you live (this might be important since we in CA have all sorts of additives in our gas for anti-pollution)

3) model year

4) Does your MO ever ping or knock when accelerating?

Hopefully we can find some consistency here.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
The MO should not knock on any grade of gasoline provided its 87 or above. I've used both 87, 91 and 93 and find higher octane gives a little bit more pep at the starting line. I used to live in CA and had no issues running 91. In fact, I miss my Chevron with Techron!

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I run Premium to get the utmost performance.
But when a hurricane hits FL, we often have only regular avail for a week or even two.
I have run 87 Octane several times with no Knocking, no pinging, etc.
Just like the manual says.
The Nissan is not alone in producing an adaptive engine, but their's works very well (unless there is a problem with the sensors, ecm, etc.)

Homer

·
Registered
842 Posts
Eric L. said:
The MO should not knock on any grade of gasoline provided its 87 or above. I've used both 87, 91 and 93 and find higher octane gives a little bit more pep at the starting line. I used to live in CA and had no issues running 91. In fact, I miss my Chevron with Techron!
I agree with Eric, I use 89 octane from Shell all the time unless I am towing my trailer then I use premium. I have found with the extra load that premium still allows decent fuel economy (12lts/100 km) om average through mtn passes and the like.

If you still are having pinging problems and the dealer says they cannot fix it, then it is time for a 2nd opinion.

·
Registered
125 Posts
1) 87
2) Boston, MA
3) 2004
4) Never knocked or Pinged

I did an experiment back in 2005 taking two R/T trips from Boston to NYC, once with 87, and once with 91 octane fuel. I hardly noticed any difference in performance or mileage..

·
Registered
63 Posts
I use 94 octane form Sunoco up in South Western Ontario, Canada. I find that this octane works the best in the winter and I also use it in the summer now because MO is so used to it (its spoiled). Ive never had issues with pinging or knocking...Cheers!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
1) regular
2)edmonton canada
3)2005
4)no pinging or knocking, just squeeks and rattles

·
Registered
263 Posts
1. 92
2. Hawaii
3. 2003 BK
4. Nope~

Nizmo

·
Registered
9 Posts
Gas & Milage

1. 87 (lowest price possible - currently Costco)
2. 2003 Murano
3. Hawaii
4. No pinging or knocking

In my opinion, Gas mileage poor - 16.3 mpg average Jan03 - Dec05 (36 months) At least 25% below estimate sticker on car. Tried premium gas once a couple of yrs ago, but no apparent difference in power or mileage.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My new Mo has about 1300 miles on it, half of which I drove yesterday on a trip to visit our new grandson. Dealer told me he had several customers who said they got better mileage using premium - enough better to more than offset the price diff. First half of the trip I got 23.0 on the highway, varying the speed between 68 & 75. Then I filled up with premium: 26.6 at the same speeds. I just filled up again with premium - I'll keep trying the test and keep you posted.

BTW - my wandering off-center feel seems to be better (from a previous post). I have a little vibration - may ask for the Road Force balancing when I return.

gibby26

·
Registered
141 Posts
Stoker said:

I have found with the extra load that premium still allows decent fuel economy (12lts/100 km) om average through mtn passes and the like.
Really? I'm getting 12.8 l/100 km using supreme from Esso (91 octane) without towing anything. Even using normal 87 octaine doesn't really change the gas mileage at all. I guess I must drive a little too aggressively. What sort of mileage are you getting without towing anything?

As for the original question ... no pinging at all on my 05 Mo in Canada.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts