Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother bought me the JWT Pop charger for Christmas. I wanted it because I had one on my 95 Integra GSR and also my 99 Solara and I enjoyed the throaty intake sound. I had some minor reservations because about a week after I put the intake it in the Solara the check engine light came on and was on and off for another 100,000 miles. After reading the reviews on this forum I said what the heck.

I have had it installed for about a week now and love it. Installation took me less than 1/2 an hour. Under 3000 RPM the sound is not that loud but up around 5K it gets really loud..almost sounds like the exhaust note on my friends M3. I have not noticed power gains or any change in the gas milage. If I have noticed one change it would be the engine seems more eager to rev in the higher RPM range. That might be me holding my foot down on the gas to hear the intake at the higher RPMS.

Bottom line if you are thinking of buying it, don't hesitate to do so. Well worht the $120 IMO

Scott

·
Registered
629 Posts
Scottd said:
My brother bought me the JWT Pop charger for Christmas. I wanted it because I had one on my 95 Integra GSR and also my 99 Solara and I enjoyed the throaty intake sound. I had some minor reservations because about a week after I put the intake it in the Solara the check engine light came on and was on and off for another 100,000 miles. After reading the reviews on this forum I said what the heck.

I have had it installed for about a week now and love it. Installation took me less than 1/2 an hour. Under 3000 RPM the sound is not that loud but up around 5K it gets really loud..almost sounds like the exhaust note on my friends M3. I have not noticed power gains or any change in the gas milage. If I have noticed one change it would be the engine seems more eager to rev in the higher RPM range. That might be me holding my foot down on the gas to hear the intake at the higher RPMS.

Bottom line if you are thinking of buying it, don't hesitate to do so. Well worht the $120 IMO

Scott
It makes me a little nervous as I've driven through some pretty deep water / slush on more than one occasion that splashed up... wouldn't want to suck that into the engine. :(

·
5,244 Posts
Congratulations!

I want 40HP more, but not noisy engine. I guess there is no easy way......:(

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Re: Re: Pop Charger

special-k said:

It makes me a little nervous as I've driven through some pretty deep water / slush on more than one occasion that splashed up... wouldn't want to suck that into the engine. :(
The pop charger is located even higher up than the stock airbox, so there is no worry of water. If water gets that high, it would also be halfway up your legs in the car as well. :D

A lot of people confuse the pop charger with a CAI (cold air intake), which it is not. The JWT cone is just that, a cone intake. A real CAI will usually relocate the air filter to somewhere away from the hot engine components (usually within the fender between the sheet metal of the car and the wheel fender liner) using some additional metal or plastic tubing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As Eric said...if you are sucking in water through the pop charger you have bigger problems to worry about. The bottom of the pop charger sits less than a foot below the hood of the car. If memory serves me it sits above the front tire. It is plenty high.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Hmmm, guess I was mistaken then. I thought I'd remembered seeing posts about potential water issues.

I'm not a mud bogger, but sometimes you hit that puddle or slush and it fans up over the hood...

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
special-k said:
Hmmm, guess I was mistaken then. I thought I'd remembered seeing posts about potential water issues.

I'm not a mud bogger, but sometimes you hit that puddle or slush and it fans up over the hood...
Some time ago (do a post search) I did an informal study at the coin-op car wash. I put the high pressure spray on the hood gap near the cone filter and then afterwards opened the hood to see if the filter got wet. It had a few drops of water on it (and I mean just a few drops), so I doubt road spray would make it wet enough to affect things. Now if you wanted to spray the engine down, I would definitely put a plastic bag over it to keep it dry.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
I saw a real CAI for the Mo on that Nismo link posted recently....the one for the rediculously high priced exhaust. It was in free air down there waaaay lower than the pop. I doubt you would have problems with water on it as well: to draw in enough water to hydraulic an engine you would have to almost submerge the air intake.
I guess if you were fording a stream it could be an issue---but I can't see Mo doing that...unless you are in Costa Rica :)
It's never a good idea to get in water over your hubs (for the wheel bearings) much less a CAI inlet.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
this is what it looks like in the engine compartment special-k

·
Registered
629 Posts
nissanlove said:
this is what it looks like in the engine compartment special-k
Cool, thanks. If I end up keeping my MO I might look into getting one. I may trade it in for an 06, in which case I may still look into a pop charger. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts