Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First thing in the mornings, after a cooler evening, there is a 'pop' that comes from the speakers when I start the MO up. :8: Only that one time during the day. It almost sounds like a static pop.

Did not notice it during the summer. And there seems to be no correalation between whether I have left the CD/radio on or not. Makes no difference if I have left the volume up or turned the volume all the way off.

It does not happen 100% of the time ... but perhaps 75-80% of the time now.

Any ideas guys??:confused:

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
If your radio is not on, and you hear the pop, then maybe its just coming from the speaker area, but its not the speaker.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have noticed when the evenings get into the high 30's ... maybe low 40's.

the radio is not turned on ... but would bet a weeks paycheck the pop is coming from the stereo speakers.

Never heard anything like it before .. .in any car I have ever owned. and it only occurs one time ... first start of the day!

Doombringer .... you are familiar with this phenomenon??

·
Nissan Enthusiast
197 Posts
The amp should have a delay when turning on the output stages. Sounds to me like a capacitor in the delay circuit of the remote turn on circuit could be bad. I only think this because you say it happens only ONCE and only when you first turn the car on. Without the delay I imagine the head unit could send a thump or pop sound when it initializes. Correct me if I am wrong but I think the amp is on regardless of whether the head unit is on to accomodate the nav voice. I know I could be reaching here ... but you know, it's just a thought....

·
Registered
466 Posts
generator said:
. Correct me if I am wrong but I think the amp is on regardless of whether the head unit is on to accomodate the nav voice. I know I could be reaching here ... but you know, it's just a thought....
That is a good guess. I would have to trace all the electrical diagrams to find that out if the amp is indeed powered when the head unit is off.

I would most likely guess it's the amp since the head unit only puts out a pre-amp signal. I've checked the max output voltage from the amp and it only spikes at 3.3 volts at max volume.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have talked to the dealer's service department. There is no TSB on this issue.

I am due for an oil change near the end of December. The service manager has asked me to bring it in the night before and they will provide a rental car.

I will let everybody know what they find ... if anything.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Resurrection

Ok ... two head untis later and alot of grief ... the dang thing STILL pops when I turn on the ignition.

The dealer has replaced the head unit twice! and traced all the grounds ... NOTHING....

Oh ... it now happens MOST of the time when I turn on the car. Very frustrating and it does not look like there is a solution in sight.

Anyone else experienceing this? It's driving me NUTS!:25:

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I wonder if this problem can be traced to something as simple as a bad ground connection.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I guarantee a weeks paycheck it is a bad ground. Where it is is the question. They aren't train too well in diagnosis nowadays, R/R repair and replace.
I am sure it a simple ground that will hopefully eventually show itself by either blowing fuses, or the circuit it conts not working.
Good luck.
Chezman

·
Registered
466 Posts
Well...let me give my two cents from what I have learned about the audio so far...

After replacing everything except the head unit, I have found that the stock amp does indeed stay on regardless of head unit being on or not. The reason why I know this is that I connected the remote lead coming from the Bose head unit to my aftermarket amps and they stay on as well when the head unit is turned off. I have a real faint pop when the ignition is switched to off coming through my speakers. Since, this didnt happen before with the stock system, I'm assuming its originating from the ground point I use for my aftermarket amps--maybe its the amps themselves? I'm not sure. I can live with it I guess since it is such a faint popping sound.

It probably is a ground problem like chez was saying, but I'm wondering if it's an internal ground on a component/part, like the amplifier??? Just a thought....:(

·
Registered
139 Posts
If its inside your amp, its a diode that has gone bad and is letting power go the opposite way. A diode is supposed to allow current to travel one way. If it goes bad, it allows current to go both ways.

Either way, diagnosing electrical is hard unless you have a multimeter, and know all the components you are working with, how they are supposed to work and whether or not they are.

Good luck,
Chezman

·
Registered
466 Posts
Yeah, I'm kinda proud to know what you're talking about. I work on aircraft fuel systems and we use check valves for one way fluid transfer. They won't let the fluid have reverse flow, almost the same as a diode, but electrical....:2:

·
Registered
203 Posts
The amp behind the rear seat is being powered up each time you start the car, regardless if the radio is on or not and I am almost positive your problem lies here. Check the grounds on the amp or have them replace it.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Would just attaching a wire and grounding the whole unit yourself for a couple of starts help? If it doesn't pop anymore then that would prove the ground is bad and you can either leave the unit and add another ground wire yourself or have the dealer "do their magic"..... POOF!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
FINALLY!

Snowride hit it on the head!

Nissan has finally said that there is a switch in the amp that turns the amp on and off with the ignition. Apparently they have discovered that a number of these switches were not working properly when the temerature is low.

So the switch is on order and the problem SHOULD be solved.

Not to be a nay sayer but I have heard that before. I do have high hopes though.

I swear ... I had a 10 year old Maxima that was in the shop less than this Murano. :(

The good news is they seem to have solved my door tick issues and it looks as if they have solved the msystery of the popping stereo.

Its still a fun ride to drive!

·
Registered
758 Posts
ChuckB

How did they solve your Door Tick issues? Mine is going in next week for this and i am trying to get a synopsis of how these issues have been solved. My Dealer ordered a felt kit and it has come in this week. I just have to make an appointment when I have time to get the fix put on.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The new amp has arrived ... I take it in Monday.

I will get specific information on what they did to resolve the door tick for you then!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK I was wrong! ....

The amp seems to have fixed the popping from the speakers.

HOWEVER, the doors still tick .... new weather stripping on order, supposedly updated parts for 2004? Anyone hear this??

we will see

1 - 20 of 23 Posts