Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took my wife's Murano to Steven's Creek Nissan (Santa Clara, CA) for some service and I mentioned that there was a weird noise coming from the engine. The service writer then asked me if I use any other gas other then 91 octane and I told him I only use 91 octane.

They found out that the Murano was 1 1/2 quarts low of oil. I do all my oil changes at Steven's Creek and told them to look up when I had last done my oil change, it was on Oct 20 less then 2500 miles ago. They told me that the reason I had lost 1 1/2 quarts of oil was due to the fact that I have a JWT PopCharger filter.

Has anyone ever heard of any issues with PopChargers and oil consumption? I am going to take off the PopCharger and see if the issue comes back. Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
792 Posts
A different air filter will have not make a difference with oil consumption.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I agree that a different type will not increase oil consumption. I would almost bet that when you last had your oil changed that you got short changed and the guy did not fill you up with oil properly.

:mad: :mad:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was 99% sure it was not my air filter that caused that issue, I also figured that they probably did forget to add the proper amount of oil. I will definately be watching and checking my oil after this. Thank you all for your responses.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Well I will make sure I never go to Steven's Creek Nissan if it turns out that they did not add the proper amount of oil!

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I bought my 97 Maxima from Stevens Creek 8 years ago and haven't been back since. They gave me a great price, but man they treat their customers like trash.

As for the pop charger, I cannot possibly see how it would lead to higher oil consumption.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Wondering if the dealership commented on the pop-charger?

i.e. warranty, etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dmako said:
Wondering if the dealership commented on the pop-charger?

i.e. warranty, etc.
They still covered it under warranty, but they just said that, that was why I lost 1 1/2 quarts of oil.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
418 Posts
I would be concerned about the the weird noise that was caused by the low oil level and any resulting engine damage...sounds like the dealer is trying to shift their possible liability re an improper oil change to you for installing an after market part....the only way an intake system could effect oil level is if improper air filtration allowed dirt/debris to enter the engine causing excessive wear thus excessive oil consumption....not likely in your case....

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
Were their any Warning light on when the oil was low, to indicate a problem of low oil pressure etc. If not probably not a problem. 1 quart (who knows how low, if any, that it actuallly was) low is not so unusual for many drivers, Actually some are also missing a full count is other areas as well. :D :2:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I am not familar with the air filter in question, but..... If an aftermarket air filter changes the way that the PCV system works (on ay car), it is possible that extra oil will be passed from the valve cover(s) to the throttle body by loss of baffle or filter present in the otiginal air filter assembly.

I doubt that the 1 1/2 quarts could be lost in 2500 miles. If it is due to the filter, you should see a lot of residue in the intake piping or the air box.

Again, I am not familar with that filter, these are general observations.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
I'm pretty sure the Pop Charger does not change the way the PCV system works on the Murano. The PCV hose that connects to the intake goes on between the air filter and the intake manifold, so the air filter has nothing to do with it.

I hate it when people find something you've done (like installing a pop charger) and blame all sorts of unrelated problems on your action. :3:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
GripperDon said:
Were their any Warning light on when the oil was low, to indicate a problem of low oil pressure etc. If not probably not a problem. 1 quart (who knows how low, if any, that it actuallly was) low is not so unusual for many drivers, Actually some are also missing a full count is other areas as well. :D :2:
No warning lights came on, the only reason I mentioned the noise to the service writer was because we were standing right in front of the car while I was letting him know of the other issues. I just asked him if the noise sounded normal, and he said I was pinging. I am going to take the Murano back in to have them do an oil consumption test to make sure the engine has no issues.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
hmmm

..an oil consumption test to make sure the engine has no issues.
What is an oil consumption test gonna look like?

·
5,100 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
I don't know how far you live from San Carlos or Palo Alto, but if you want a good place to go its Boardwalk Nissan. My girlfriends brother is the Service Manager so he takes care of me and I'm sure he would take care of anyone I refer.

·
5,100 Posts
Used to live in Los Gatos, When I come up for a visit , Maybe I can get a "Good for One Visit" referral :D

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
simplesb said:
I don't know how far you live from San Carlos or Palo Alto, but if you want a good place to go its Boardwalk Nissan. My girlfriends brother is the Service Manager so he takes care of me and I'm sure he would take care of anyone I refer.
It would have been nice if it was on this side of the bay! A bit far for me (from Pleasanton) to take advantage of your offer...Then again, I drive 40 miles to Capitol Nissan in San Jose........:confused:

·
Registered
522 Posts
Pop charger causing oil consumption??? That is total horse pucky. The service writer was just talking BS.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
The pop charger has the exact same affect on oil consumption as those little pine tree air fresheners that people hang from their Mirrors. OK, maybe not quite that much, but similar.
I agree that this is a ruse in case the engine has sustained damage.
It is also unlikely that any long term damage has been done.

Frankly I would challenge the SM to write me a letter that said the use of a different air filter caused the engine to use/lose 1 1/2 Qts of oil in 2500 miles.
I would send the letter to NNA with my opinion of their service centers.
Don't worry about writing your letter to NNA, the SM won't tell you in writing what he told you in person. As mightymo said, it's just horse puckey.

Homer

1 - 20 of 20 Posts