Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all, got an 09 murano with 120k right now. Just recently my father was riding in my car and said he heard a howling/humming noise coming from the passenger side. It happens only after I pass around 38mph. Drove home doing 75mph and the car was fine. No pull, no nothing, only the noise. Doesn't do it while stopped, only past 38mph. Put the car up on jacks. Passenger wheel was a tad bit more moveable compared to drivers side. This leads me to believe it's the wheel bearing. Headed to a shop today to confirm or deny this. Wanted y'all opinions on if you think I'm correct or if it may be something else.

Thanks

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hey y'all, got an 09 murano with 120k right now. Just recently my father was riding in my car and said he heard a howling/humming noise coming from the passenger side. It happens only after I pass around 38mph. Drove home doing 75mph and the car was fine. No pull, no nothing, only the noise. Doesn't do it while stopped, only past 38mph. Put the car up on jacks. Passenger wheel was a tad bit more moveable compared to drivers side. This leads me to believe it's the wheel bearing. Headed to a shop today to confirm or deny this. Wanted y'all opinions on if you think I'm correct or if it may be something else.

Thanks
If the wheel bearings have never been changed then they're a good candidate for the noise given the mileage of your car, but usually you can hear the noise from a bad wheel bearing a bit earlier (e.g. above 20 mph) and the noise tends to increase with vehicle speed to a certain extent (...it's not clear if that's the case for you). But before taking it to a shop, rotate the tires front/back to rule out an issue with wheels/tires first.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the wheel bearings have never been changed then they're a good candidate for the noise given the mileage of your car, but usually you can hear the noise from a bad wheel bearing a bit earlier (e.g. above 20 mph) and the noise tends to increase with vehicle speed to a certain extent (...it's not clear if that's the case for you). But before taking it to a shop, rotate the tires front/back to rule out an issue with wheels/tires first.
Yes it does get louder with increased speed. I'm getting them rotated as well. Forgot to add thag sometimes during breaking I can feel a vibration thru the floor. Thought it was bad pavement. Rotors aren't warped, brakes are good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just had my right front wheel bearings and hub replaced. I have a 2011 Murano with 99K miles. Same scenario as above. What is the expected cost to replace the hub, with labor? I paid $650, and am in the Chicago area.

·
Super Moderator
7,793 Posts
I just had my right front wheel bearings and hub replaced. I have a 2011 Murano with 99K miles. Same scenario as above. What is the expected cost to replace the hub, with labor? I paid $650, and am in the Chicago area.
Depends on what brand of hub, from what parts source, and how much the labor rate is. $650 seems a bit high to me, but not out of the question. My guess is that this was at a dealer, which usually means you pay more. Any good shop can do this, and a competent DIY type can too.

·
Super Moderator
7,793 Posts
$650 for 1 hub is expensive. Timken cost around 125 each.
True, but if you go to a dealer it's more. Courtesy Nissan online shows MSRP for the RF hub at $229 and they sell them for $195.

Still, assuming the OP paid $229 for the hub, that's an awful lot of labor ($420 for labor and tax), unless there were other problems which caused additional work to be needed.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It's not unusual to have OEM replacement hub units cost 4X what aftermarket units cost. There is a lot of quality that goes into OEM units. For example, I've seen some aftermarket units with raceways that are hard turned. OEMs are ground and honed. You need to decide how much longer you want to keep the vehicle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts