Nissan Murano Forum banner

Power hatch problem

63K views 47 replies 27 participants last post by  87mikekroll 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi guys and gals!

New to this forum.

Anybody had this problem with the rear hatch :
  • 2016 Murano
  • Pressed button on the back to open the hatch. It beeps three times, and the hatch opens. Closed the hatch with the button "Under" it.
  • Tried to open the hatch again. It Beeps three times and "unlocks" it, BUT IT WON'T OPEN. It opens "manually."

It is all the same thing with an intelligent key, a button near the steering Wheel, switch on the hatch.

It beeps three times and unlocks the hatch, so I figure the electronics are correct, but they do not lift.

Hatch does not go down electronically. But closes manually.

The power button in the glove box is "on."

I checked out a few threads like this one, but it is not similar :
nissanmurano.org/forums/121-3rd-gen-2015/207970-rear-door-hatch-issue.html

I have my appointment in 2 weeks at the dealership, and I guess it's covered by the 3-year warranty, but wondering if somebody got the same issue.

Wondering if it's a coincidence that the lightbulb in the glovebox is also "burned" / not letting when opening the glove box.

I have already been to the dealership for all kinds of problems covered by the warranty, all related to parts failing like that, such as the glove box not closing correctly, the door making a rattling sound when locking and so forth.

Is Murano made in China? (Sarcasm...)

See less See more
#2 ·
All cars have lots of problems now. I bought a Murano because my wife’s ‘16 has been a far better car than any I’ve owned. ‘06 F150 FX4, ‘08 Civic Si, ‘09 Accord V6 coupe, ‘09 Focus, ‘11 Civic Si, ‘13 Mustang convertible, ‘14 Civic Si, ‘15 Mustang GT, ‘16 F150, ‘17 Accord Touring coupe.

Her Murano has been far more trouble free than all of mine. Hence, I went and bought one for myself a month ago. They are good cars. Stuff like a light in the glove box is nothing. Just get it fixed.

#3 ·
Yeah I know it's an easy fix.

My first car was my "best" (problem free) car : Toyota echo 2000! Bought it used at 80 000km and never had any issues with failing parts. Had to change the breaks, and some other normal wear and tear fixes but not any issues related to the stereotypical "made in china" issues.

I have a Mazda Tribute 2000 has a second vehicule, the Murano being our main family vehicule, and I had lots of issues that I never encountered with the Toyota.

Oh well...

#5 ·
Sounds like you've done homework on this, including checking the owner's manual, right? Sometimes things like that are explained, some times not.

The beeps are probably an error message, but the dealer may have to explain it.

I disagree with the assertions about newer cars; I don't believe their quality control is worse. I do know that cars have an increasing number of complex system every year, so there's more that can go wrong.

#8 ·
Yep checked the manual and all.

The beeps are totally normal: it's the sound it makes when engaging the power hatch procedure.
All the power hatch procedure is normal:
-beeping 3 times
-unlocking hatch
-won't go up (and of course does' not close)

But when you open/lock it manually, it locks.

I found another post with exact same problem. He says you need to disconnect to battery for a few seconds to reset "internal error codes" and reconnect and it will fix this issue. Might try with my father in law since me, I'm a complete deer in a head light when it comes to cars / and or home improvement stuff :|

For new cars, yes of course more things can fail because more of added tech. but I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about the "built" failing more rapidly like door knobs dropping and stuff like that.

Like in my 2010 Tribute, the hand brake has issues (which I did not get fix because I'm never using it). I can go on and on about lots of cars and different "recent" models (2010+).
My dad has a 2004 Toyota Corolla and never ever ever had these issues. Ever...

I should get a toyota I think... lol

#6 ·
Posted a week ago for the same problem. It unlocks and locks via the remote but won't open power open. Just manually. My wife has an appointment this week. We will see what they say. Thinking it may be the lift gate arms. There like 400 each. But I have no idea. I will checkto see if the bulb in my glove box is out as well. Actuallly I didn't know there is a bulb in there. Hell maybe I will go outside and check the bulb right now.

http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/...power-lift-gate-high-pitch-sound-problem.html

Edit: I just checked and there is no light that comes on in my glove box. Never noticed if there ever was but like the original person that posted my light (if I have one) in my glove box doesn't come on.

#27 ·
Go to any forum and you will see similar discussions. They aren't all necessarily "complaints". This is where owners come to discuss issues/likes/dislikes/etc. It's the same for any model that has a forum like this. As for your Kmart/Target comparison, I'd say it's a little unfair, but it's all subjective and it's your opinion to have. I've had multiple vehicles from all three brands and I have found little difference in quality. My 2007 Camry was probably the worst of the bunch. I've also worked at a Honda and Acura dealership and I can tell you they have their fair share of problems just as much as any other brand. They are all machines with parts (ever more complex) and stuff breaks.

Reactions: MuranoSL2003
#10 ·
Alright. Today my power liftgate is working. And my glovebox light is working. I did nothing. Now this worries me. Oh yea. The glove box light only works with the lights on. Yesterday when I checked I didn't have my lights on.

#11 ·
I had to have my 2015 serviced for this problem last week. The back hatch would only open manually. And whenever the car was in reverse or drive and the car would start to roll either forward or backward (depending on obviously if in "R" or "D") I would hear a low pitch, constant, beep sound. It the brakes, the car stops the beep stops. Hit the gas and literally just as the car starts to move the same constant low pitch beep would start. Wouldn't hear with the radio turned on and relatively low volume. The sound was coming from the rear of the vehicle.

Brought it in and a code of B242A-13 was found. They replaced the trunk/T'gate lock assembly.

#17 ·
Came back from the dealer.
They needed to reset / reprogram hatch. b2423-11 1h shock ere code reset back door.

Free of charge because I'm still under warranty but I don't know after that lol.

My theory seems correct : here in Canada (Quebec), the last 2 weeks, it was very very cold (-36°C). When I opened the hatch, it broke ice on top of it and that what may have cause the issue.

Heck, we have cold Canadian winters ! My snow removal broom is in the trunk ! If it screws things because of a thin layer of ice, it sucks ! I understand they don't want the hatch to break but still, it's maybe too sensitive...

I've putted it in the back seat so I don't open hatch to get my snow broom and will check out for ice next time. Or will turn off power door button in glove box...

#18 ·
When I test drove the 2017.5 platinum and the dealer had issues closing the power hatch via the switch on the trunk, I knew I didn't want that feature...

#19 ·
Does anyone know if the power liftgate option can be removed and converted to the manually operated one. Only the Platinum and SL model has the power option in the 2015. And the only way to open the liftgate manually is to crawl into the cargo area and use a screwdriver to unlatch it.
We have had the liftgate fail 5 times now after having the dealer reset it.Twice we were on long trips. Now I just disconnect the battery then reconnect it and it works like new until the next fail.
I would consider converting it to manual operation if not too expensive.
So much for this convenience option.

2015 SL

#20 ·
My 2015 SL recently had a similar issue. The hatch seemed completely dead. No beeps, no opening, no closing, nothing. I found the 40 amp fuse in the engine bay and removed it. It looked fine. When I put the fuse back in, I immediately heard an electronic system re-booting. I tried the power hatch, and it worked. Worked fine for a few days, then quit again. I checked the fuse again and as soon as I put it back in, the electronic sound happened again. So I pulled the fuse again and bent all the contacts a little tighter. Put the fuse back in, and its been working fine ever since (a couple months). It’s an easy fix that’s worth a try for anyone having hatch issues.

#21 ·
Same issue here. They replaced the assembly under the TSB to be on the safe side - however that wasn't it. Another friend with a 2015 SL and same problem, covered under warranty. I am afraid that I will be in a jam if it doesn't open as I had no way to manually open the gate like others described here.

#23 ·
Update from my Post above-

The hatch failed yet again, numerous times over the last few months. I pulled the fuse again for a couple seconds, put the same fuse back in, heard the computer do a big reset, and the hatch worked. That lasted for a few weeks, then died again. Took it to dealer and they did a software update, 400 miles later and it’s dead again. It’s going back to the dealer on the 11th for them to “guess” at more things. Can I help steer them in the right direction on this common problem? Anyone know what the fix is?

#25 ·
Hi guys and gals!

New to this forum.

Anybody had this problem with rear hatch :
  • 2016 Murano
  • Pressed button on the back to open hatch. Beeps 3 times, hatch opened. Closed the hatch with the button "Under" it.
  • Tried to open hatch again. Beeps 3 times, "unlocks" it, BUT IT WON'T OPEN. Opens "manually".

All the same thing with intelligent key, button near sterring Wheel, button on the hatch.

It beeps 3 times and unlocks the hatch so I figure electronics are right, but does not lift.

Power button in glove box is "on".

Checked out a few threads like this one, but is not similar :

I have my appointment in 2 weeks at the dealership and I guess it's covered by the 3 year warranty, but wondering if somebody got the same issue ?

Wondering if it's a coincidence that the lightbulb in the glovebox is also "burned" / not litting when opening glove box.

I have already been to the dealership for all kinds of problems covered by the warranty, all related to parts failing like that such have glove box not closing properly, door making a rattle sound when closing and so forth.

Is Murano made in China ? (Sarcasm...)
It looks like worst than made in China I have the same problem with Nissan Murano 2015

#26 ·
Update!

@w0nderbrad & everyone else. So about 9 months ago I had power hatch issues, it was completely dead, not beeping or anything. I’d pull the 40-40-40 fuse in the engine bay, put it back in, and I’d hear a computer do a big reset and then the hatch would work for a few weeks. Brought it to dealer and they did a big re-program. A few weeks later, NFG. Brought it back and they did another reset, a few weeks later NFG. Brought it back and they replaced the control module for what they said was like $1500 in March of 2019. Well yesterday, the hatch died yet again. And this hatch gets very little use, maybe opened once per week. This problem is widespread on internet forums and Nissan needs to figure it out. I have another appointment at the dealer 2 weeks from now. No one knows a permanent fix?

#29 ·
Hi guys and gals!

New to this forum.

Anybody had this problem with rear hatch :
  • 2016 Murano
  • Pressed button on the back to open hatch. Beeps 3 times, hatch opened. Closed the hatch with the button "Under" it.
  • Tried to open hatch again. Beeps 3 times, "unlocks" it, BUT IT WON'T OPEN. Opens "manually".

All the same thing with intelligent key, button near sterring Wheel, button on the hatch.

It beeps 3 times and unlocks the hatch so I figure electronics are right, but does not lift.

Power button in glove box is "on".

Checked out a few threads like this one, but is not similar :

I have my appointment in 2 weeks at the dealership and I guess it's covered by the 3 year warranty, but wondering if somebody got the same issue ?

Wondering if it's a coincidence that the lightbulb in the glovebox is also "burned" / not litting when opening glove box.

I have already been to the dealership for all kinds of problems covered by the warranty, all related to parts failing like that such have glove box not closing properly, door making a rattle sound when closing and so forth.

Is Murano made in China ? (Sarcasm...)
Just had this problem, today and chatted online with a mechanic ($5) and he advised me to disconnect the negative connection on the battery for about 15 minutes and then reconnect it. It worked like a charm.

#30 ·
I’ve been to the dealer 8 times in the last 18 months for this same problem that keeps re-appearing after the Nissan dealer “fixes” it. My extended warranty has now paid over $8000 just on rear hatch hardware. They have replaced every part back there, some twice. Just got the car back last week, we’ll see how long as lasts this time. 2 appointments ago, they kept the car for an entire 7 days and were on the phone with Nissan’s tech line trying to solve the problem. Not happy.

Disconnecting the battery temporarily does reset the computer and enables the hatch to work again, but only for a period of time until it dies again. That’s not a fix, in my opinion.

#31 ·
I have had my used 2017 Murano Platinum for 1 week, bought from a dealer.

They had to fix the lift gate (wouldn't open with remote, interior or exterior button ), and today it just happened again.

It has a service appointment this Thursday as I paid for Nissan connect and it that doesn't work either seemingly (according to a tech I spoke to via phone) because there is a problem with the SOS button (does not light up).

I am worried I got a lemon, or perhaps all are lemons?

#32 ·
Hello - new to this forum also. Have 2017 Platinum, purchased new, with rear hatch issues , will not open !!!!!
thank you - if you Google Nissan Code B2423 you sure enough will see a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB)
S00000 this is a continuing problem ! Nissan needs to make good on it.
I have a case with Nissan Consumer Affairs - 800-647-7261.
I see in this forum they have helped pay cost to fix. Good luck
I Love my Murano and no problems so far with engine but these other issues frustrating !!
Call the consumer affairs so they get note of all the customers with problems ...........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.