Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question - should the murano have equal power in reverse as it has going forward? The other day I tried to back up a steep driveway and my 04 awd murano just lagged! It slowed and then just stopped moving as I kept my foot on the accelerator! I rolled back to the bottom and ascended the driveway just fine in drive.

Also, when backing up an incline I notice my car rolls forward as I switch my foot from the brake to accelerator - like it would act if you were driving a stickshift!

Is this a CVT special feature or am I seeing early signs of failure? I already had to replace the entire power steering system. At 15k miles I was hoping to be trouble free for awhile...

Thanks in advance...

·
Love to live w/ MO
410 Posts
MO has great power in reverse as well. it shouldnt be a matter of what gear your are in a CVT (thats what i would think) since it gets adjusted automatically. i did try to park MO in reverse on my driveway and it went fine, but again the inclined angle would be a factor too.

Also, when backing up an incline I notice my car rolls forward as I switch my foot from the brake to accelerator - like it would act if you were driving a stickshift!
my MO does that too..... i thought it was normal...

isnt it ???

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Hasaanbhutta is correct. All automatics will do this. There are some vehicles that have a locking mechanism that prevents it from rolling, but that's rare and usually only on actual trucks.

The CVT seems to have less "grip" as far as the resistance to rolling goes, and a little more of a rocking effect when in park. But if you're on a big enough incline, all automatics, including our beloved MOs, will roll backwards (or forwards in this case) if you don't have your foot on the brake or throttle.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Corin said:
if you don't have your foot on the brake or throttle.
That's the key to it -- one must learn to work the brake AND throttle at the same time without overdoing it, of course, to prevent rolling on steep hills when coming off a stop.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm - guess I was just used to the 'grip' of my other automatic tranny cars when shifting on an incline into reverse. Driving in San Francisco this last weekend made me feel like I was parallel parking my old stick shift... :eek:

Thanks for the info!!

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
K-fire said:
Hmm - guess I was just used to the 'grip' of my other automatic tranny cars when shifting on an incline into reverse. Driving in San Francisco this last weekend made me feel like I was parallel parking my old stick shift... :eek:

Thanks for the info!!
Yet another reason why it would be nice to have a hand brake rather than the pedal... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Using both feet would be even better. Left foot for the brakes and the right for the gas. This way you will have total/instant control-no rolls on either end. 1 - 3 second play- switching your right foot from brake to gas or viceversa could hit the other guy behind you with our streets here in SF. Specially if the idiot behind you is burning his clutch cause he is either showing off or just plain stupid and hitting the brakes real close to you.--I see it all the time at the lombard street in the weekends. Cars overreving or what not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts