Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anythign we can do to make the power outlets stay on while the MO is off? this is getting anoying when i want to charge my cell i cant!
Thanks

·
Registered
554 Posts
A couple of posters have added power outlets by tapping into a power source at the fuse box that always stays hot. I did this with my cell phone holder that's suction cupped onto the far left of the windshield. It has a power outlet with a cord for accessing power. I used one of those Pep Boys autofuse taps at the fuse box and grounded it to a screw near the box. I then ran the wire up along the side of the dash to the hook up on the cell phone holder. I can try to get some pictures if your interested. For the factory cigarette lighter plugs, I guess you could try to rewire it along those lines - although I haven't done it myself.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Did a search for this, but could not find the answer.

While on a recent trip to Cooperstown, my son tried to use the power outlet in the center console armrest to run his DVD player, but it was not working. He switched to the plug under the dash on the passenger side and that worked fine.
I opened up the inside fuse box (for the first time) to check the fuses. Here is where I have a few questions.

The inside cover shows the location for a FR socket, a Cig lighter and a RR socket. I don't have a Cig lighter (non-smoker) and the fuse for the FR socket looked fine. The fuse for the RR socket looked bad. Does anyone know if the rear socket and the center console socket are on the same circuit?

My second question concerns the use of an inverter. I have a 400w inverter that was being used at the time and I suspect that is what caused the blown fuse. Is there an order that should be followed when starting the MO, turning on the inverter, plugging something into the inverter and turning on the item. Would an inverter that was switched On at the time the MO was started cause a blown fuse?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
It is usually not recommended to connect an inverter to a cig lighter plug because of the high amps that it will require (hence blowing the fuse). Most inverters of that size need to be directly wired to the battery.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I believe the Cig lighter fuse is if you have the cig lighter as an optional accessory (smokers package?). The cig lighter takes the place of one of the storage bins next to the shifter. If you don't have it, then the fuse just controls the light bulb in there I think.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Power Outlets Question part 2

For the first time since buying my 2003 MO, I tried charging my cell phone from the center console storage box - no power! Works fine from the front power outlet (next to glove box). After looking more closely, I noticed a dime in the outlet, which explains the blown fuse (shorted across the contacts). However, after replacing the fuse and ensuring all the outlets were clear, including the cargo area outlet, the new fuse blew immediately.

For those of you who have seen the electrical wiring within the console and in the back, any thoughts on a) what might be causing this; and b) is there a relatively easy way to isolate the mid and rear outlets to find out which one is causing the short?

Thanks,
JDB

·
Registered
29 Posts
Fuse Blowing Update

After some electrical investigative work, I have discovered that my Verizon car charger itself can cause the power outlet fuses to blow. When inserted gently, everything is fine; however, when the charger is plugged into the outlet normally (such that the tip of the charger bottoms out in the outlet), then "poof" the fuse blows. Happens in all 3 outlets (= 2 different circuits).

Has anyone else experienced this with their cell phone chargers? Verizon in particular?

Thanks,
JDB

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes I have a Verizon charger and it blows the fuse every time. The phone is an LG flip phone. I don't know if Verizon makes the plug or if it is an LG plug with the verizon branding on it.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
dmtreff said:
Yes I have a Verizon charger and it blows the fuse every time. The phone is an LG flip phone. I don't know if Verizon makes the plug or if it is an LG plug with the verizon branding on it.
Well it is pretty obvious that either the design of the socket or the charger itself is causing a short. You might want to just compare two different chargers to see how the electrodes are arranged differently. I have had no issues with using either Nokia or Motorola chargers in my Murano.

·
Registered
29 Posts
dmtreff,

Thanks for the reply - nice to know that I am not the only one.

I too have the Verizon-branded charger for a flip phone (VX6100 I believe). As mentioned before, when I gently insert the charger, but intentionally NOT bottomed-out, it is OK. If you happen to have any spare 15-amp fuses, and a willingness to give this a try, I would be interested to know if you can get it to work by trying this. If it works, then we'll have two corroborating sets of circumstances.

Only question then is: who better to help us, Nissan or Verizon?? Hmmmm. :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
methinks LG makes the plug. Verizon doesn't make anything....I bet they don't even make their own stickers.
:D

·
Registered
111 Posts
Verizon Charger = Blown Fuses: Yup!

Folks,

Me too, have a new charger, that I stuck in both my console socket, and front socket...guess what? Both are "blown" (need me a mess of them 15 amp fuses I guess...)...so I'm going to blame the charger. I have a new 700W Treo, and the Verizon Charger seems to be to blame. Perhaps I'll "splurge" and order the Palm/Treo charger...since Verizon seems to be making some cheap sh_t here.

Regards,

Big

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Eric L. said:
I believe the Cig lighter fuse is if you have the cig lighter as an optional accessory (smokers package?). The cig lighter takes the place of one of the storage bins next to the shifter. If you don't have it, then the fuse just controls the light bulb in there I think.

mmmm, Makes me wonder... If the cigarette lighter is "on" all the time, would it be possible to run those wires to the power outlet in the storage bin?

This would (in theory) give you an always hot outlet.

So, a question for those with the smokers package...

Is the cigarette lighter always on?

I believe all MO's can be outfitted with the smokers package, so the wiring should be in place.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
The power outlet in the console and the power outlet in the rear are both connected to the same 15 amp fuse. The dash-mounted socket is on a separate fuse.

The smoker's kit includes an "ash cup with lid and lighter element". I believe the lighter element uses the existing front power socket.

-njjoe

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
None of the outlets are on all the time. I leave an air purifier in the dash outlet, and it turns off with the ignition.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
njjoe said:

The smoker's kit includes an "ash cup with lid and lighter element". I believe the lighter element uses the existing front power socket.
-njjoe
Eric L. said:

OK. 2 questions for anyone who has the smokers package....

1. Where exactly is the lighter plugged in?
2. If the car is turned off, will the lighter light?

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
I looked at the smokers package, but $86 for an ashtray that consumes a cup holder and a lighter that I can buy for less than $10 somewhere else, I passed.

The lighter is just the removeable part, plugs into the socket by the glove box.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Tyler_Canada said:

The lighter is just the removeable part, plugs into the socket by the glove box.
My, putting the lighter way over there goes a long way to promote safety............:rolleyes:

Homer

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
The MO is definitely NOT a smoker-friendly car. I can just imagine the burn marks on the dash from trying to return the hot lighter to the outlet.

-njjoe

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
hfelknor said:

My, putting the lighter way over there goes a long way to promote safety............:rolleyes:
Homer
My thoughts exactly.

Tyler, are you sure that's where the lighter goes? If so, that sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

I thought someone here mentioned that it connected into the center console somehow......

Is there anybody who has installed the smokers package out there???
:26: :26: :26: :26: :26: :26:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts