Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
I know, I know, pull over
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you take apart the center console and find the wire that goes to the cigarette lighter inside the armrest area. If you trace that wire back to the harness, I found another connector with the same end that goes on the cigarette lighter. This connector was just electrical taped out of the way, and not connected to anything. Can anyone tell me what this is for, or supposed to be for? It's a green wire and a black wire, just like the cigarette lighter wires. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Probably either for OEM DVD player or Naviagtion DVD player. They both mount in the center console.

·
Registered
78 Posts
pointer to where the connector is

Jace,

I am looking for a console 12V source to dedicate for a dvd player. Where is that end connector with the room for an additional plug? Any chance of a picture?

Thanks,
Chuck

·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you know, i thought about taking a picture after i put the center console back together :3:

you have to take the entire center console out to get to it. it's taped down underneath the shallow pocket next to the cup holders. if i get brave enough, i'll dismantle it again and take a pic.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
How lonfg did it take you to dismantle the center console, and did you have to do anything to the seats?

·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the center console, once i figured out what i was doing, was easy. I could probably do it again in less than 10 minutes.

1. remove the shift knob.
2. use a flat screwdriver wrapped in tape to pry up the brushed aluminum cover plate where the shifter is, and remove it (the back of it just pops out).
3. use the same screwdriver to pry up the change dish thinger (it pops out the same way).
4. Underneath of the cupholder/change dish areas are I think 4 screws that hold the console down - remove them.
5. Remove I think 4 more screws in the armrest area.
6. Life the whole console out (you'll have to set the emergency brake, and shift it into low gear in order for the console to clear the shift lever).

I should have taken pictures, but oh well. next time i will. i had to do all this because my "AWD lock" button got pushed into the console when I removed the radio. A simple "fix the button" project turned into "find a power source for my new iPod nano" :D

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
jace said:
A simple "fix the button" project turned into "find a power source for my new iPod nano" :D
That is how great discoveries are done!

Thanks for the step by step directions. It sounds simple enough so I am going to remove it this weekend to re-route the wires that go to my carputer.

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
zebelkhan said:

That is how great discoveries are done!

Thanks for the step by step directions. It sounds simple enough so I am going to remove it this weekend to re-route the wires that go to my carputer.
I'm still interested in the best ways to get the cleanest switched and unswitched power under the passenger seat for a 12v carputer with intelligent power. If you find something interesting in there, I'd like to hear about it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
let us know on the connector

Folks,

Let us know what you find. Is the connector the same as the existing wire to the 12V source?

My thoughts are if there is an open connector - then plug in another harness including the 12v recepticle. Leave that in the base of the console for multi-purpose power. That way the other 12v already in the console is still available for cell phone charging or whatever.

Chuck

·
Registered
146 Posts
zebelkhan,

If you need help let me know, maybe we I can help you remove the center console this weekend.

·
4,601 Posts
jace said:
If you take apart the center console and find the wire that goes to the cigarette lighter inside the armrest area. If you trace that wire back to the harness, I found another connector with the same end that goes on the cigarette lighter. This connector was just electrical taped out of the way, and not connected to anything. Can anyone tell me what this is for, or supposed to be for? It's a green wire and a black wire, just like the cigarette lighter wires. Thanks!
I expect that is for the smoker's kit, which changes the cell phone holder to a cigarette lighter and the change tray to an ash tray.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I concur that removing the center console is pretty straightforward, and it really helps to have the 3 pages of diagrams that illustrate how the center console is assembled. I actually used a putty knife with a 1-1/2" blade and no tape on it to pop A/T Console Finisher off, and left absolutely no mark at all. Thinner and wider blade helped a lot.

Here are some diagrams, courtesy of Jaak (I think):

·
Registered
52 Posts
Also, depending on how much power you will be drawing from the devices you will be powering from the center console, you might want to consider running a direct connection from the battery into the center console. I did this last weekend, and it wasn't too bad...I ran a 15 foot length of 8 gauge power wire from the battery, through the rubber boot in the firewall behind the brake pedal, down the middle of the center console and into the bottom of the center console storage compartment...

I actually removed the storage box completely and using a hole saw, created a 1-1/4" hole to run all kinds of wiring into that compartment (4 foot ground wire attached to the front passenger seat bolt, power/video for the headrest monitors, cat 5 cable, audio cable for infrared headphone module, and hopefully the PAC AAI-NIS wiring and Navbox wiring to the headunit).

I'm going to be mounting several devices (4 output Power distribution block, 4 output Video amp, Navbox, AAI-NIS) to a block of wood sized to fit at the bottom of this compartment so I can easily remove them if needed, but still keep them from moving around in the compartment. I'm also going to locate my Wireless G adapter (unmounted) in there as well to connect my XBox to my home network.

All this stuff will be hidden nicely under the removable storage compartment!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Prewiring

EasternPA said:

I'm still interested in the best ways to get the cleanest switched and unswitched power under the passenger seat for a 12v carputer with intelligent power. If you find something interesting in there, I'd like to hear about it.
On my 05 SL, the sticker said it was prewired for DVD. I assume that means there is an available 'power wire' somewhere in the arm rest cavity. If so, you can use that as your power source. Since I read somewhere that the OEM DVD system used an FM modulator (which would suck if true), that prewire would have to be just power.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
risaralda said:
zebelkhan,

If you need help let me know, maybe we I can help you remove the center console this weekend.
Thanks. That is a great idea but I am not sure of the time yet. If it is a go I will let you know so we could get together.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Re: Prewiring

AVIATB4MO said:

On my 05 SL, the sticker said it was prewired for DVD. I assume that means there is an available 'power wire' somewhere in the arm rest cavity. If so, you can use that as your power source. Since I read somewhere that the OEM DVD system used an FM modulator (which would suck if true), that prewire would have to be just power.

Do you know if the power wire running in the center console is switched with the ingnition key? Obviously a direct power line means you would have to constantly switch the power off on the dvd unit. ?

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Re: Re: Prewiring

ADV said:
Do you know if the power wire running in the center console is switched with the ingnition key? Obviously a direct power line means you would have to constantly switch the power off on the dvd unit. ?
Ther is an unused power plug under the console, right in front of the cupholders. I never tested it to see if it is constant or not but I would imagine if it is used by DVD player, then it would have to be switched by the ignition switch, i.e. on with ignition and accessory, off with key removed, just like the radio.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have no intention of belittling all the work and efforts you guys have done to use the extra power source to create another 12V recepticle in the armrest. But for those that can think of all the benefits of the extra plug but are not technical with all the talk in this thread, may I suggest a 2-1 splitter from Radio Shack for $8? Not as clean as a second plug but the same outcome IF you want a second plug IN the armrest.

Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
238 Posts
My understanding is that all the power plugs (3) have cumalative capacity of 10A and all are powered thru ignision.

May be the quest is to find an non-switched and alternative higher capacity circuit.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts