Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, this evening I happened to be in garage when my wife came in, I heard high pinch sound when she turned the wheels.
So, its defiantly steering, open the fluid tank and was really surprised with level
Its dry

Questions, Im sure level should be in the grid, if so what type of fluid I can use?

P.S. Car was at dealer for CVT oil change 2K ago, I have inspection sheet where all fluids are Ok.
Did they really checked it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had similar thing on my 15. it was ~ 4+ ounces below the full hatch. I wasn't happy to see that at 25K miles that's always been dealer serviced. I keep seeing/finding/having shortcomings with too many dealers' service/work; very disheartening and disappointing.

·
Registered
886 Posts
No they didn’t check it. Pretty typical.

The only way to get good service is talk to the techs. Make up reasons to talk and interact with them. Be gracious. Act dumb, but curious. Get them involved with your car on a personal level and they’ll do the job like they’re supposed to.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What spec is for the fluid? Can I get it from any auto store or its required OEM Nissan fluid?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
145 Posts
I got the Nissan e-ps fluid at the dealer ~ $15; I believe it's specific ps fluid for nissan's electronic power steering units.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
The high pitch noise is not due to the low steering fluid, it is normal when turning the wheel.

Just top it off, you can either ask the dealer to do it on your next scheduled maintenance, or you can do it yourself. It is probably not that low.

I had the same issue, and I bought my fluid from amazon, and just top it off, don't mix the fluid with another brand:

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AKYOZ48/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just came back from the dealer, bought a jar for $13, added 150ml to get the level to the middle of the grid.
The noise is much lover when turning the wheel.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Checked mine out of curiosity, it’s also not showing on the stick.
I do my own oil changes and usually don’t check it that often.

Noticed Prestone has Asian approved power steering fluid. Suppose to work with Nissan products.
Might give it a try.

Update: Purchased the PS Fluid from Nissan for $4.99.
Prestone would of been $12.29.
Added the fluid and can tell it steers with less effort.

They gave me a few crush washers for the oil changes also.

·
Super Moderator
8,814 Posts
As with all fluids, check your owner's manual. Any fluid that meets the stated specifications is OK. If you can't find a spec, you know that you can always do it right by going to the dealer's parts department.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would think there might still be a problem with the recall listed above. I just went out and checked my fluid, which is low, barely a little showing on the dip stick.
Just received a new recall on the '15 concerning brake fluid lead possible cause of a fire. :

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would think there might still be a problem with the recall listed above. I just went out and checked my fluid, which is low, barely a little showing on the dip stick.
Just received a new recall on the '15 concerning brake fluid lead possible cause of a fire. :

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just received a new recall on the '15 concerning brake fluid leak possible cause of a fire. :

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got my letter for brake fluid recall last night, this the second time we get this.

Will ask them to check for steering fluid leak.

I did pulled the stick last night, after three days level is the same, if it does leak than is very slow, I looked all over it and didn’t find any wet spots or sighs for leaks, really thinking car came with low level.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just left our '15 at our local dealer. Was able to talk to the mechanic we use. He won mechanic of the year a few years back out of all Nissan mechanics tested. I trust him. As far as the p/s fluid he said as long as the level touches the dip stick (my words, not his) the level is okay. Reason, steering is electric not like our old pump variety, though there must be a pump somewhere. He did say he adds a little just to make customers feel better.

As a side, my wife who drives the M 95% of the time said there has been a bump she feels through the steering wheel every morning. As I saw in another thread, Greg said it is the hydraulic motor mount and that bump (clunk) is normal. He will find the service notice for us.

I will let you know if he finds anything else tomorrow. It is just nice having someone who knows what he is talking about. Not that any of you don't, but Nissan tested.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Reason, steering is electric not like our old pump variety
While the pump is driven by an electric motor instead of a belt and pulley off the engine, its still the same old hydraulic pump that has assisted steering for more than 75 years.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Just left our '15 at our local dealer. Was able to talk to the mechanic we use. He won mechanic of the year a few years back out of all Nissan mechanics tested. I trust him. As far as the p/s fluid he said as long as the level touches the dip stick (my words, not his) the level is okay. Reason, steering is electric not like our old pump variety, though there must be a pump somewhere. He did say he adds a little just to make customers feel better.

As a side, my wife who drives the M 95% of the time said there has been a bump she feels through the steering wheel every morning. As I saw in another thread, Greg said it is the hydraulic motor mount and that bump (clunk) is normal. He will find the service notice for us.

I will let you know if he finds anything else tomorrow. It is just nice having someone who knows what he is talking about. Not that any of you don't, but Nissan tested.
Here is the TSB:

Subject:*SB Nissan; Thunk Sound on First Few Accelerations of the Day*
Summary of NTB14060:

SERVICE INFORMATION
A two-piece design front engine mount is currently being used for the Applied Vehicles listed.
A single thunk noise may be heard during the first few accelerations of the day from this type of mount, and is considered normal operation.
The mount has also been designed with built-in free play that is normal.*
Under normal driving conditions:
- A thunk noise may be heard during the first few accelerations of the day.
And
- Does not occur again, or at any other time.
DO NOT REPLACE THE MOUNT:
- If it has free play or a "single event" thunk sound during the first few accelerations of the day. This is considered a normal characteristic of this type of engine mount.
- If a shift shock condition is present when shifting from park into gear or between any combination of gears. This condition is due to transmissions line pressures and not movement of the mount.
NOTE: Refer to the Electronic Service Manual, section TM - Transaxle & Transmission, for further diagnostic information on shift shock.
See this bulletin for further detail.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok. Little over a month after I added a fluid, checked last night after car was parked for 3 hours in the garage.

What a surprise, it was over filled, almost to the top. Interesting, where it came from, ok waited overnight still the same overfill level.

Manual telling to check when its between 32 and 86 F its all.

Any ides?

·
Super Moderator
8,814 Posts
Checking back on the thread, I doubt you have a problem It wasn't good that in your first post you noted that the OS fluid reservoir was essentially dry. That can burn up pumps in a hurry. But there's no evidence in the thread that your pump was damaged.

Idea: use a turkey baster to lower the level to the correct fill mark, then don't worry about it. Check it once a week to calm your mind. If you ee any significant change, then you can start diagnosing what's going on.

95% chance there was just a teeeeeeny bit of operator error when you filled it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
PS fluid

Checked mine out of curiosity, it’s also not showing on the stick.
I do my own oil changes and usually don’t check it that often.

Noticed Prestone has Asian approved power steering fluid. Suppose to work with Nissan products.
Might give it a try.

Update: Purchased the PS Fluid from Nissan for $4.99.
Prestone would of been $12.29.
Added the fluid and can tell it steers with less effort.

They gave me a few crush washers for the oil changes also.
I have a genuine Nissan bottle of PS fluid from my 12 MO, but it doesn't say "epsf" it is red, and my fiance has a 15 MO that is very low. Would the fluid I have work? Part number 999mp-ag000p
Thank you

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts