Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I just got my oil changed done at the dealer today and after the 27 pt inspection they recommended the following maintainence:

Power Steering Fluid Service for $119.25
Fuel Injection Cleaning 2 Stage cleaning for $169.95.

My car is a 2004 Murano with 108,000 miles.

Are these 2 services needed? If yes, are they reasonable priced?
If not, how difficult is it to DIY?

Thanks all! You guys been a great help!:)

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
No, no, NO!

Out of curiosity, did your dealer suggest you change the spark plugs? The reason I ask is because they are due for their first replacement at 105,000 miles. Your dealer recommended two ridiculous and non-essential services yet missed a vital one? If that is the case then I would most definitely take my business elsewhere.

By the way, there is no reason to take your MO to a Nissan dealership for non-warranty work. Any reputable garage can do the maintenance, and it will cost less.

-njjoe

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
njjoe said:
No, no, NO!

Out of curiosity, did your dealer suggest you change the spark plugs? The reason I ask is because they are due for their first replacement at 105,000 miles. Your dealer recommended two ridiculous and non-essential services yet missed a vital one? If that is the case then I would most definitely take my business elsewhere.

By the way, there is no reason to take your MO to a Nissan dealership for non-warranty work. Any reputable garage can do the maintenance, and it will cost less.

-njjoe
Yes he asked if I've replaced my sparkplugs, and I did the 100K miles service already. I assume the 100K mile changed spark plugs right?

So you're saying those 2 service is not needed at all?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
04MoMo said:

Yes he asked if I've replaced my sparkplugs, and I did the 100K miles service already. I assume the 100K mile changed spark plugs right?

So you're saying those 2 service is not needed at all?
I agree, neither the FI cleaning nor power steering fluid change are needed. If it makes you feel better freshening up the PS fluid, take a turkey baster, suck out as much as you can from the reservoir, and then top it off with new fluid. Job done.

As for the plugs, since (I'm pretty sure) it's a $400+ job, I think you'd notice if it was part of the `100K service' you had done. Just curious - what WAS done at that 100K service?

I also agree you need a new dealer service dept.

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Nissan recommends the plugs be changed at 105,000 miles. Doing the swap at 100,000 miles is fine.

Nissan has no replacement interval for the power steering fluid. There is no need to spend $120 for the service.

$170 for a fuel injection cleaning?? That is nothing more than a money-making gimmick for your dealer. You can buy a can of fuel system cleaner from you local auto parts store for $5, pour it into your gas tank, and get a better bang for you buck.

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Neither of the services are necessary, but remember dealers make most of their profit in the service department from pushing unnecessary services, as do most shops, so just know what needs to be done and what does not, and you will not get jipped.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eric L. said:
Neither of the services are necessary, but remember dealers make most of their profit in the service department from pushing unnecessary services, as do most shops, so just know what needs to be done and what does not, and you will not get jipped.
I've never done any of those 2 services before on my car, so I was just curious if at all its necessary or not.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Power steering fluid usually doesnt have to be flushed unless it gets water it in or a part is replaced. Doing it at high miles does help get some crud out and extends the life of the pump and rack, but then on my other car I've gone for 165k only topping it off and no noises or leaks. Raise the front wheels, use a turkey baster to suck out the fluid out of the reservoir, fill with fresh fluid,start the engine and turn the wheel lock-to-lock several times, then leave the engine running and suck the now-mixed fluid with the baster and add fresh fluid. Do this about 3-4 times and you'll have almost all of the fluid replaced. Do NOT do this with the wheels on the ground, the concrete will flat-spot your tires!

Dump a can of Sea Foam in your tank, it's the best fuel system cleaner. You can also try to Sea Foam your engine through the intake, but its a good bit more complicated, but well worth it on older engines.

And definitely change the spark plugs! Spark plugs are probably the biggest hinderance to long-term gas mileage since many people NEVER change them. Once worn, they can easily cost you several mpg if not more. Parts for the Murano run about $100, install is a pain though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts