Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have a 2007 Z50 and about about 2 or 3 weeks ago, I started smelling something strange during the first 5 minutes of driving, almost like burning oil. A few days after, I started noticing my transmission slipping between 1st and 2nd gears. For example while slowing down, it felt like it would go from 3rd immediately into 1st gear. I asked my mechanic to take a quick look and he told me I had a steering fluid leak. He didn't have time to check where the leak was coming exactly.

When I got home, I topped off the steering fluid and lo and behold the transmission stopped slipping. After driving around for a few miles, I guess the steering fluid leaked out and started running low - surprise surprise, the transmission started slipping again.

To those more knowledgeable forum members, is there a connection between the steering fluid and transmission?

Thanks!
Curtis

·
Registered
398 Posts
There's no connection between the steering and transmission systems that I know of...

It was probably just a coincidence the problem went away briefly after topping off the power steering fluid...

You mention gears: does the Murano come with a standard automatic transmission in your country? Most Muranos I know of have a CVT, which doesn't have gear changes during deceleration... And only 3rd gen Muranos have simulated gear changes during hard acceleration.

You should have your Murano scanned for trouble codes with an ODB2 reader that's capable of scanning for transmission error codes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, my Murano comes with CVT standard, which like you said doesn't have noticeable gear changes, so what I described was just my estimation of which gear seems to be acting up. I did have the car scanned for error codes at the auto club, but their computer wasn't able to decode the error message. I'd have to actually go to the Nissan dealership, make an appointment, then have my wallet relieved of $150 just for the honor of getting a read-out of the error code.

If I can't find help online, then I might not have a choice.

·
Registered
398 Posts
If you purchase an inexpensive Bluetooth OBD2 code reader off Amazon:

And the $5 US Android app called CVTz50 from Google Play, you can read CVT transmission and engine error codes.

You can use this app to verify the OBD2 code reader is legit:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts