Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have discussed to “death” oil changes but nobody mentioned power steering fluid change/flash. Should it be done? If so how often? What fluid would you use?

I have checked in AutoZone and found this synthetic fluid. It is more expensive than “normal” one but at $6.50 for change who would care. Are there any advantages to synthetic fluids? Manual does not say anything about power steering fluid changes, just “keeping it at right level”.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Kris,

I don't ever recall changing power steering fluid on any car.

You know what's funny? I've owned two cars that did not even have power steering (MG Midget & MGB). Can you even buy a car today without power steering?

-njjoe

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Changing PSS fluid flushes the dirt out of the system. DIY, its well worth it. Synthetic, YES!!

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Joe,

I have never kept car for longer than 3.5 years. The only exception was my first car – 5 years. So I did not even think about changing the fluid. Nissan does not recommend it. However, dealers are pushing for fluid flash. I am not sure who is right but given that I intend to keep the FX much longer and Murano probably for 5 years, I do think it would be worth to do it. And I am leaning towards synthetic. For $10 every 2 years (DIY) it is worth it. And I agree with ekaxel – it flashes our debris from the system. It will definitely not hurt the system. So I am going to do it.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
I don't think there is a need to change the PS fluid. If you keep the car long enough it will eventually leak out and you have no choice but to replace it.......:D

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
zebelkhan said:
I don't think there is a need to change the PS fluid. If you keep the car long enough it will eventually leak out and you have no choice but to replace it.......:D
The fluid or the car ..... ;)

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found it on Volvo site. Interesting reading about the magnet....

Power Steering Fluid Cleanliness. I keep inside the power steering fluid reservoir a small but VERY STRONG magnet. I lowered it down inside on a wire and because it is strong it attaches to the metal bracket holding the reservoir. After first two weeks I was cleaning it every second or third day and you would be surprised how many metallic particles it was able to take out. For the first week the magnet was all covered and black every time. Now my power steering fluid is so clean, that I can see the bottom of the container with a flash light. Of course I changed the fluid after I take most metallic particles out. Besides there was a bulletin issued by Volvo stating that inside PS container there should be a magnet.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Power Steering Fluid Change. [Tip] If you want to drain the system, loosen the fittings at the steering rack, from the pump & reservoir, let all the fluid drain out, then refill system with Volvo steering fluid, or Dexron. Auto trans fluid will aerate more than the steering fluid, so you will get less steering wheel chatter, when you start the engine & drive the car. Fill the reservoir, then start the engine. When the pump empties the reservoir, then refill it.
[Another Procedure: Query:] My power steering fluid looks pretty bad. What's the best way to replace it - without disassembling the entire system? [Response 1: Steve Ringlee] The return hose to the p/s reservoir is the top hose. Disconnect this at the reservoir (see Editor's Note below) . Using a small piece of solid pipe, clamps and some clear vinyl tubing, make an extension that will direct the fluid into a container or bucket. Get a quart of new fluid (I use Mobil 1 synthetic ATF, which works fine even though your manual calls for Type F.) Start the car and have a friend cycle the steering wheel back and forth. As the pump moves the old fluid out the hose, refill the reservoir with new fluid. When you've just about used up the quart, you will have completely flushed out the old fluid. Re-connect everything, bring the reservoir up to level and you are back in business. If you suspect metal contamination in the old fluid, place a strong magnet on a thin wire into the reservoir and leave it there for a week, removing it to check it and clean it off. [Response 2: Jerry Andersch] One other bit of advice. Be careful not to be overly aggressive in removing the return line to the plastic P/S reservoir. Lines that have never been removed can be tough to free up. Resorting to yanking, twisting, and swearing can result in a unexpected trip to the wrecking yard to find a replacement reservoir. Easy does it and save yourself some grief. [Editor's Note:] The return line is VERY TOUGH to remove because of an aggressive barb at the end of the outlet pipe. Be prepared to cut about one inch of hose, enough to peel it off the reservoir, so make sure you have a little extra hose you can pull up from the pump. To make life easier next time, file off the sharp edge of the barb to make the hose removable. [Response 3: Gary DeFrancesco] In my car, the oil was never changed by the PO, and it was black. Be prepared to dump in more than a quart of new ATF while flushing. The flow rate through the pump surprised me, even at idle. I went through 2 quarts of oil as fast as I could dump it in. And I mean DUMP. Have a friend or spouse start the engine and turn the wheel lock to lock. I found it best to do this with the front wheels off the ground. Have your partner start turning the wheel as soon as the engine starts since it will not take too long to go through the ATF.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Pretty interesting post about the magnet. I suppose it can't hurt, unless somehow the magnet falls in! Who here wants to try the "PS magnet mod" first?

:D

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Neodymium magnets are the strongest but would fail quickly due to heat.
Samarium Cobalt would be better because they can live in heat and cycle thermally better. Believe me, they wouldn't come off. I have a Samarium Cobalt magnet that you had better not have your finger between it and steel, it would pinch a piece off.
:D

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Kris-

I like the idea of the magnets. Very interesting concept. However, I am a bit wary of putting any foreign body into the reservoir. If only you (we) could figure out a way to permanently affix a magnet to the dipstick on the cap. Hmmm. Do I see a patent on the horizon?

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
I took a bad 3.5 inch hard drive apart to see what is in it. I took a couple of magnets out of it and put them on the frig door....and that is where they have stayed for a couple of weeks. They are so strong I cannot pull them off......:3:

Have to find a plastic blade to stick between them and the door to see if that will work. Maybe if I get them off I put them in the PS reservoir.....I am sure they will just stay where I put them...:D

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Yep, those should be Samarium Cobalt, that's where I got mine--but it was an experimental 8" drive from many moons ago.

I worked on some drives that had 18" platters, 8 of them per HDA.
The heads (16) where held on a carrier and moved via a linear motor--AKA voice coil. The magnet was a 110 pound 10" cube which you had to change after a crash. I still have one around, the kids love to play with it till it bites'em--but it isn't allowed in the house.
:2:

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
mgthe3 said:
I worked on some drives that had 18" platters, 8 of them per HDA. The heads (16) where held on a carrier and moved via a linear motor--AKA voice coil. The magnet was a 110 pound 10" cube which you had to change after a crash.
110 pounds in a 10" cube? Wow! I bet you don't want that near any casset or video tapes.....

I wonder if that will fit inside the reservoir????

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
zebelkhan said:

110 pounds in a 10" cube? Wow! I bet you don't want that near any casset or video tapes.....

With a magnet that big, all you'll need to do is mount it on the front bumper, and let *other* cars provide the propulsion for you!

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
zebelkhan said:

Cassette or video tapes?!? I would be worried someone with a pacemaker or defibrillator would sit near it!:2:

-njjoe

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Amazing.
Just reading this thread has cleared up my arthritis.

Homer

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
LOL

Remember when they used to sell oil drain plugs with magnets on them?

I did find a great site for folks wanting to play with them.

Magnets

They do have some smco magnets there....

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
mgthe3 said:
LOL

Remember when they used to sell oil drain plugs with magnets on them?

I did find a great site for folks wanting to play with them.

Magnets

They do have some smco magnets there....
That's where I got mine from...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts