Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Im trying to get some help on my fiancé's 2007 Murano. It sounds like the power steering pump is whining bad, it gets louder when accelerating but yet doesn't change tone or change at all when turning the wheel back and forth, so its making me wonder if it isn't something else. Full on fluid, no leaks. Could it still be the ps pump? Thanks

·
Registered
2003 Nissan Murano SE AWD
272 Posts
Could it be the serpentine belt? You could always douse the belt with water while the engine is running to see if the noise vanishes. Although not recommended, I've used belt dressing on a serp belt with no slippage issues or breakdown of the belt.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Be sure you don't dump water directly onto the alternator. You can access the serp belt where the oil filter is, and spray a little water directly on the friction/contact side of the belt. Dumping water onto everything might stop all the noise, but if may not tell you exactly what is making the noise. The belt comes in contact with a lot of things, and any one of those things can be the source of the noise.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Maybe a wheel bearing hub? Does it change tone during right and left hand turns?

How many miles are on it?

A wheel bearing hub needing replacement is a common problem for 1st gen Muranos.

Reactions: Murano people 001

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Doesn't change tone except for revving engine. Water on the belt didn't change anything, and im about 90% sure not wheel hub bearing, noise is definitely coming from back/left of motor. Its weird how identical it sounds to power steering pump, but steering doesn't affect it.

·
Super Moderator
1,180 Posts
If it follows the engine speed and is at the at the rear of the engine, which is on the driver's side, then I would be looking at the CVT torque converter. The bearings inside can start to whine as they wear.

Using either a automotive stethoscope, or a long thin screwdriver pressed to you ear, touch the other end to where you hear the sound the loudest. By moving the tip to different locations, you'll be able to positively determine where the sound is coming from.

Here's a three minute video to help you out. I found more then several using "automotive stethoscope" in the search.

Good luck.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Murano LE AWD
1,103 Posts
Doesn't change tone except for revving engine. Water on the belt didn't change anything, and im about 90% sure not wheel hub bearing, noise is definitely coming from back/left of motor. Its weird how identical it sounds to power steering pump, but steering doesn't affect it.
Just to be clear, the front of the car and the front of the engine are actually two different places. The front of the engine is where the belts are (passenger side). So, when you say the noise is coming from "back/left" of motor do you mean against the firewall toward the passenger side or do you mean the driver side by the transmission?

Agree with PaulDay, a mechanics stethoscope would be very helpful here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I apologize, by back left I meant back left of engine compartment I should say, not back left in reference the orientation of the motor. I've always drove old chevy pickup trucks so I'm used to the motor orientating to the front of the vehicle. But yes, toward the firewall on the passenger side.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
There's another drive belt in that area, the alternator/AC belt.

How many miles are on your Murano?

Have the drive belts ever been replaced?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I would inspect the drive belts for cracking and wear. You can easily inspect them by removing the passenger side wheel well splash shield that covers that area. Four push pins hold the cover on.

The drives belts on my '03 were cracking l when I replaced them several years ago with only around 50k miles on them...

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Murano LE AWD
1,103 Posts
I apologize, by back left I meant back left of engine compartment I should say, not back left in reference the orientation of the motor. I've always drove old chevy pickup trucks so I'm used to the motor orientating to the front of the vehicle. But yes, toward the firewall on the passenger side.
Well, that is basically where the power steering pump is located, but you'll just want to confirm that it is the pump making the noise. My guess based on your previous posts is that you're familiar with the sound of a noisy pump so if that's the sound you're hearing then that's probably what it is. What's the condition of the power steering fluid in the reservoir? Is it dirty? Does it look frothy?

If you're going to inspect the serpentine belts as MuranoSL2003 suggested, check the belt tensioner and idler pulleys as well since worn bearings in those pulleys can be quite noisy.

Reactions: MuranoSL2003

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Also, check the tension of the drive belts to be sure they are not too tight or too loose. When too loose they can make noise/squeal and will wear quicker due to slipping. When too tight and you can damage the bearings of the driven accessories...

I used this relatively inexpensive tool with success when I changed my belts:

It was only $13 when I purchased one 7 years ago. Prices on Amazon bounce around, I use this website to check the price change history:

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'm assuming you also put a little water on the actual pulley belt that goes around the P/S pump and that did nothing, so my next suggestion would be to take some silicone spray or WD-40 and give a blast behind the P/S pulley and all the others to see if that stops or lessens the noise. It won't be devestating, but try not to spray such chemicals onto the V-belt or serp belt. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Check your CVT fluid and your transfer case fluid it normally wiines like that when those guys are low

1 - 18 of 18 Posts