Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see in Consumer Reports that one of the lows is the Murano takes premium fuel? does this meal every tank or what?

·
Registered
242 Posts
I think it means every tank. I have never used premium, I always use 87 octane and have never had a problem. But some people swear by the more expensive stuff.

·
Registered
631 Posts
hlsess said:
I see in Consumer Reports that one of the lows is the Murano takes premium fuel? does this meal every tank or what?
If you read your manual it will tell you that you can run the MO on 87 octane fuel (regular unleaded). Of course, for "best performance" you'll need premium. The manual advises you to listen for engine knock when using lower octanes and if you experience knocking, use better fuel.

I find the cost / benefit ratio to be about a wash, honestly. I could run 87 octane and save about $.20 per gallon, which, on a fill-up would save me about 4 bucks. However, with lower octane fuel you'll get *slightly* lower MPG, etc. In another thread (do a search...) somebody put up a chart with cost / benefit factors for different types of fuel. Maybe it was homer? I don't remember.

For the extra 4 bucks per fill-up (I mean really, when it's a choice between $52 and $56 what's the big deal at that point?), I run premium, which is currently at $2.89 here, some of the highest in the country according to the news, (yahoo!) and get a few extra miles per tank, plus a cleaner more complete burn.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am convinced that using high octane gas makes a BIG difference in performance. I notice it very easily.

Prior to my MO I had an Audi S4 twin turbo that also 'required' premium. For two tankfuls a couple of years ago I had to use regular when there was a shortage of high octane here. The car drove as if some of the cylinders had shut down!!

I used to think that the high octane stuff was simply a marketing ploy, but now I beg to differ.

I just don't quite understand why the MO needs it . . . it's not really a high-performance car to begin with.

·
Registered
175 Posts
lawbroker said:
I am convinced that using high octane gas makes a BIG difference in performance. I notice it very easily.

Prior to my MO I had an Audi S4 twin turbo that also 'required' premium. For two tankfuls a couple of years ago I had to use regular when there was a shortage of high octane here. The car drove as if some of the cylinders had shut down!!

I used to think that the high octane stuff was simply a marketing ploy, but now I beg to differ.

I just don't quite understand why the MO needs it . . . it's not really a high-performance car to begin with.

Primarily because the engine has a 10.3 to 1 compression ratio. I also notice improved performance with the higher grade fuel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks-I don't have a Murano yet but was looking at it along with the Toyota 4Runner and Honda Pilot- who know what i'll end up with- (replacing a mommy van) YEAH!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Some engines "require" premium gas while for others it is just "recommended". I use premium gas in my MO because it is recommended at the end of the day (considering all other factors) does not really cost any more than the regular. In my mbz, I have no choise. In fact its manual forbids you to even rev up the motor over 2000 rpm if you put in regular gas, citing "extensive engine damage could result"

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
I ask you, would you rather have top round or porterhouse?
Not much of a question is it?
U hit the nail on the head Trev. Mo does what she does best, on premium. If you look at large displacement American V8's from the mid 70's (Gas shot up then), you will see a lot of 7.5 to 8.0 to one compression ratios. They did that so you could burn rot gut low octane gas. (lol, that was funny)
And I remember the runon they used to have. Clatter clatter, burummmmph. They were lucky to put out 200hp, with twice the displacement of the Mo.
So, she does best on what she was made to do, with what she has---on premium.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Think a gallon of gas is expensive?
This makes one think, and also puts things in perspective.

Diet Snapple 16 oz $1.29 ........ $10.32 per gallon

Lipton Ice Tea 16 oz $1.19 ..........$9.52 per gallon

Gatorade 20 oz $1.59 ..... $10.17 per gallon

Ocean Spray 16 oz $1.25... $10.00 per gallon

Brake Fluid 12 oz $3.15 . $33.60 per gallon

Vick's Nyquil 6 oz $8.35 .... $178.13 per gallon

Pepto Bismol 4 oz $3.85 . ...$123.20 per gallon

Whiteout 7 oz $1.39 ........ . $25.42 per gallon

Scope 1.5 oz $0.99 .....$84.48 per gallon

And this is the REAL KICKER...

Evian water 9 oz $1.49..........$21.19 per gallon?! $21.19 for WATER - and the buyers don't even know the source. (Evian spelled backwards is
Naive.)

So, the next time you're at the pump, be glad your car doesn't run on
water, Scope, or Whiteout, or god forbid Pepto Bismal or Nyquil.
--

·
Registered
631 Posts
wchandler said:
...So, the next time you're at the pump, be glad your car doesn't run on
--
Yeah..... NyQuil just TASTES like your car could run on it. :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
HI Everyone,

I haven't used regular or midgrade in a very long time. My hubby will not even hear of it. I had a 1977 Firebird Esprit(Skybird model)which got to 235,000 miles before I traded it. I KNOW I KNOW, should have kept it.:( :( :mad: Thats another story.

Do you remember when Amoco used the slogan, "Your car knows"
Well, I bet they got that from me. I was spending about 300 dollars a month on gas for that car cause we were driving everywhere in it. I was late on my Amoco card one month and I told them that my car knows the difference when I use anything else but Amoco. It would always knock when anything else was put it in even regular or midgrade amoco. A few months later, thats when the slogan came out.

Sooooo, we still always put premium in everything and that includes my new murano. Its around $2.30 in Georgia now. Last time I filled up, it was 40.00 dollars. I think its worth it in the long run. Keeps the engine happy. :4:

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I use 91... but IMHO you can safely use 87 in the MO. The timming will adjust and there will not be any dammage. I think the only leg to stand on here is that some members did some tests and they did find with the lower stuff your milleage dropped off and help to justify the cost.

If you are thinkin about using lower grade you will be fine. The MO just recommends it. If there was any damage to occur that would not recommend it but require it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I also have been debating the premium vs regular gas question. Prices here are 115-120 yen per liter for regular and 124-130 yen per liter for premium (called hi-oct here).

That works out to 460 yen ($4.38) per gallon for regular and 496 yen ($4.72) per gallon for premium. I may be using regular for running around town and premium for trips.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I use premium only in my MO. Honestly, IMO if you can't afford to run the proper fuel, then maybe you should buy something else...If you can afford a $30k + vehicle you can afford premium fuel.....;)

·
Registered
241 Posts
This quite interesting...The UK model has got the same recommendation for higher octane unleaded from the dealer although the manual doesn't state it....

The inside of the petrol cap state to fill it up using RON95 which is regular over here...Our premium stuff is RON97 like Shell Optimax or BP Ultimate....

BTW What I find really expsinve is a nice Barolo that goes at about USD90 per gallon at trade-price in the UK...But it is still nice with a fillet steak...

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I'm a premium user. I just don't think about it and just ask and pay. Whatcha gonna do, save $3.00 at most on a fill up?

Good points wchandler.... My only thoughts are... I could go through a lot more gas in one day then snapple. A drive on a saturday for a couple of hours, or sitting in traffic going to work.

wchandler said:

Evian water 9 oz $1.49..........$21.19 per gallon?! $21.19 for WATER - and the buyers don't even know the source. (Evian spelled backwards is
Naive.)

--

·
Registered
522 Posts
Yeah, here's my post about octane vs. MPG from way back when: http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2201&highlight=MightyMo

Various people suggested I have a longer test run to make sure those numbers were solid, but I haven't been able to find the time and motivation to do that yet.

Another test I want to do at some point is compare the HP between 91 octane and 100 octane, just to see if there is any head room on Nissan's timing maps (and quite probably waste $100 ;) ).

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
wchandler said:

Naive.)

--
Whenever I read these comparisons, I think to myself, but I don't use these products as quickly as I do gasoline. Therefore, gasoline, although cheaper by volume, is consumed much faster, so in the end, I spend more money on gas than I do on things like Scope and Gatorade (which I also use).

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
MightyMo said:
Yeah, here's my post about octane vs. MPG from way back when: http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2201&highlight=MightyMo

Various people suggested I have a longer test run to make sure those numbers were solid, but I haven't been able to find the time and motivation to do that yet.

Another test I want to do at some point is compare the HP between 91 octane and 100 octane, just to see if there is any head room on Nissan's timing maps (and quite probably waste $100 ;) ).
I think there is a bit "headroom" on the timing maps. I get (and use almost exclusively) 94 octane here (Sunoco only). I notice a difference between 91 and 94, although I've also read that Shell 91 is not quite 91 octane.

Also, given that it's much cheaper than a coffee a day to use 91 or better, I'd rather give the extra performance to my Murano. :)

1 - 20 of 77 Posts