Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and glad to see the site back up. I would have posted this message earlier, but was not able to do so. I will try to make this story short and sweet. I would appreciate any comments or suggestions my fellow forum members may have to offer.

My wife and I were ready to purchase a Murano back in April. We had a three month old 2006 Altima (SE with nice option packages) that did not please us. I suggested we use Carsdirect.com because I hate doing business with my local brick and mortar Nissan dealers (Long Island, New York). So I contacted Carsdirect.com and got the process rolling.

A sales person contacted me to locate the Murano with options we were looking for. Price was great – just under invoice (have to love the internet). The options included: 06 Murano w/ Touring and Sirius and VDC. Color was secondary to the trim and option packages. Alas, he cold not find a single Murano at the time through his network of dealers. We then agrees that Carsdirect.com could arrange to have the car ordered from the factory – but the wait could be up to three months. Waiting has never been a problem for me, so we did just that.

While starting the factory order process, I was told by my Carsdirect.com salesperson that the network dealer that would be delivering my family the car would be willing to give us a certain price for the 06 Altima as part of the purchase. The trade in value was fair and I accepted.

My Carsdirect.com sales person told me that all work would be done at my home including the signing of paper work, etc. So now we go into “waiting” mode. (Always looking forward to Shappy’s posting of current Murano leasing options – and reading all your posts intently.)

Last week Carsdirect.com asks me to have the car appraised at the dealership (30+ miles away). This made me unhappy because of the distance (I am in New York, the dealer in New Jersey). I thought the work was to be done at the home at time of delivery. I never dealt with an internet auto purchase before so I didn’t find this unusual. Nevertheless, I travel to the dealership to get the 06 Altima appraised. Here is where the fecal matter hits the proverbial fan…

The network dealer for Carsdirect.com gives me a trade in value that is $3500 under their April offer. I am told about “dealer hold back costs” and the current Nissan rebate for new 06 Altima of $1750. I am thinking that the fair option is to subtract the rebate amount (dealers have to put bread on the table – but so do I). Needless to say, the dealer does not compromise. The trade in value is firm and Carsdirect.com at this time can do nothing to rectify the matter.

If we didn’t wait by ordering the new Murano from the factory, we could have gotten a better deal. By waiting, the purchase price basically remained the same, but the trade in value is more than 25% less than originally offered.

With all the death and destruction going on in the world, this is what I call a “phony” problem. Life is too short! But, your comments and suggestions are welcome and appreciated. I will be checking these boards often to see evaluate your thoughts.

PS: I am currently searching for a dealer in the New York tri-state area (mostly CT) to find the 06 Murano we are looking for. I will keep trying to get the car at what shoulf be a fair price.

:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Last week I purchased a new Murano SL, touring and VDC from Bob Sharp in Wilton, CT, used the Costco program, 100 under dealer invoice. Was treated very well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Irishman:

Thanks for the heads-up! I am a Cosco member. Could you give me contact info. Anything you have would be great.

Thanks again! :)

Googled the website - calling now... Internet service agent is not in yet, so I will call later in the day.

·
Registered
21 Posts
BabyEar,

ask for Bill Ellis at Bob Sharp, he's not the internet guy, but doesn't matter.

ps: if you decide to guy please give him my name for a referral bonus.

·
Registered
216 Posts
With regard to the offer on your Altima being $3500 below what it had been three months before, this can be on account of several factors.

First, incentives on the current Altima are up since they are trying to move them out in anticipation of an all-new '07 Altima arriving shortly.

Second, that all-new Altima will have a negative impact on the resale value of the current Altima (as normally happens when an all-new model is introduced, regardless of make or manufacturer).

Finally, it sounds like the original offer on your Altima was made over the internet, and not with the car in person. Even if it had been in person, they might have over-valued it just as a way to get you to order a car through them.

In any event, unless they put in writing that they will guarantee your trade-in value, there is not much you can do about it. Also, shame on them for not telling you that your car's appraised value would be significantly less three months later...they knew better.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Trade ins are almost always a losing proposition. The dealer can't both give away the new car for $100 under, and give you top dollar for your trade. It just isn't sound business.

·
5,244 Posts
ekaxel said:
Trade ins are almost always a losing proposition. The dealer can't both give away the new car for $100 under, and give you top dollar for your trade. It just isn't sound business.
You are right. The bottom line is the dealer has make money.

In my case the dealer did not lower much the new car price. However, have me fantastic trade in. I really do not care about either of them. What count is bottom line. How much did I have to pay.......the final price is alway sum of new and trade in. And that what counts.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the encouragement and information. You folks are right on the trade in - in fact, I would have still gone ahead with the deal. It's just that the car dealer (networked to get me the car for Carsdirect.com) is lying about a number of things. For example, the hold back dollar amount quoted by the dealer was twice the possible maximum on the Altima.

My guess was that the dealer was making nothing (or close to nothing) on the deal - it was well below invioce bu about $459.00. This makes Carsdirect.com look bad when they give me a trade in estimate that comes from their dealer.

I don't mind paying for what I am supposed to get. I will even pay more in order to avoid hassles. But lies bother me. It makes me question the integrity of the person/dealership selling the car.

Thanks again for the comments. One thing I will say, without this forum I would be paying a hell of alot more.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
184 Posts
i would try to get rid of the old car myself. like if you have a car max in your area, they'll buy your car at their quoted price from you even if you don't buy one of theirs.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
You Said it.

ekaxel said:
:eek:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
* * U P D A T E * *

We got our new MO Thursday night. Platinum Pearl SE with touring + SAT and VDC. I drove home ftom CT to NY and it was an absolute pleasure. We used to have a 2004 - boy did I miss that smooth ride.

We used Bob Sharp Nissan (thanks to Irishman) in CT. This was hands-down the absolute best service I have ever recieved or can comaore to what my friends have had here in the New York City area. Worth going 50-60 miles out of the way in order to avoid B.S. I thought I was in another world. I am so used to crappy service and scummy personalities here in the city (at least my dealings with dealerships).

Thanks again to all for your input and suggestions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts