Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This doesn't apply to a new MO, but it's something I was curious about...

Have you noticed that the clear plastic headlight covers (the ones that go over the actual headlight lenses and assemblies) get hazy on some of the older cars? Some of them almost look like they're translucent as opposed to transparent after they've gotten hazed. This must reduce the efficiency of the headlight's illumination of the road at night.

We have these clear headlight covers on our MOs. I'm guessing that a combination of old age and sun exposure might cause the problem. Thus, some of us may be faced with this problem in a few years if we park our MO in the sun often.

Anyone know of a detailing method that would fix the problem?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Nissan produced a TSB for this exact issue on my 00 Maxima SE and their solution for the dealerships was to use 3M's Plastic Cleaner (#39017) followed with 3M Plastic Polish (#39010).

I bought a bottle of each (8oz size) a couple of years ago and still have 3/4's of each still un-used. I use it probably twice a year on each vehicle.

You can also use any light cut cleaner (I really like Hi-Temp Light Power Cut Leveler #HT-61) and a buffer if you have it available
which is a lot faster but will cost you significantly more.

I used the ht-61 and my Porter Cable buffer on a really hazed up 98 Honda Accords headlights and they look brand new again.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I can't imagine what else it could be other than sun.

I suppose there's some kind of chemical reaction that causes the plastic fogging or deteriorating because of the UV rays.

The plastic cleaner and polish also work wonders on plastic eyeglasses (which is what I use the stuff on most of the time).

·
Registered
161 Posts
I always figured road debris was the problem. I thought rocks, bugs, and dust must sandblast the plastic at hightway speeds. I never thought about the sun...hmmm

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hazing headlight covers

Any kind of plastic polish is good. Do not use any products designed to clean glass! If there is a General Aviation airport close by, try a pilot supply store. There are a large number of products designed for cleaning and polishing aircraft plastic windshields and windows.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Hmmmm I didn't even think of that and I'm a pilot that uses stuff like that. Thanks for the suggestion... no idea why I didn't think of it.

You can also order aviation items like that from Sporty's Pilot Shop.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
Even, Good Old Collinites Insulator wax works. Grip :D

·
Registered
360 Posts
Back in the day, there was a "polish" that riders used on their motorcycle helmet faceshields.....

Toothpaste.

Not gel, but paste.

·
Registered
242 Posts
The toothpaste should make them whiter and brighter!!! At least that is what it says on the tube.:D

·
Registered
153 Posts
Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish

I have used this stuff to take the cloudiness away and restore shine to chrome and mag wheels. I experimented with it on old clear parking lights on a 85 Chevy van and it cleared up the yellowing. Now I use it confidentally on all clear plastic car lenses when they appear faded. Use a small dab on a soft cloth and gently rub in a circular motion. You will see the cloth discolor as it removes the dirt. It works! Good Luck!

·
5,100 Posts
But why does it happen?

I have been looking everywhere to try and fine the cause. I used to think it was sunlight, and it may be I want to talk to some one who has stored a car inside with a full cover and ask if it still happens. I can't seem to fine the answer on the web and I have looked hard.

GRIP :D

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Just shotgunning here....I don't know what causes the problem.

But, if it is the sun, and if by "the Sun", we mean UV rays, then Zaino may help.

Zaino provides UV protection. UV 40.

I have always "done" my headlights (Tailights too!) with Zaino while putting a coat on the paint.
Never had hazing, but that doesn't mean too much I would guess.

Just a thought.

Homer

·
5,100 Posts
Homer you MAY be right

I don't know but I sure would love to get a set of headlight cover and do a little experiment, One in the sun. One inside., One inside and covered, One in the sun but sealed in a large glass vacuum bell jar.

Bet the answer would pop up quickly. Better experimental approach is, I am sure possible, but this is a spur of the moment quickie. GRIP :D

·
Registered
289 Posts
Clear-guard recommends the 303 Aerospace Protectant against UV for their tinted films.Probably good for headlight covers to. They are using the smoke tint on tail lights.

·
5,100 Posts
MOpar

Hope you got my message about the reason I lost you at Pinnacle, sorry. Did you ever get any of the Clear_Gaurd film? I did get the key "Next DAY" that guy that runs parts Jason, nice guy that he is< overnighted it from LA.

I did go ahead and get a stick on rear bumper protector from him, figured it would offerr more protection than the film. My driving lights are full of water, No biggie, have to change to the 85 watt draw lamps anyway and will RTV them tight at the same time. GRIP :D

·
Registered
289 Posts
Wet sanded,400,600,100,1500,2000 then used Simi Crome polish on my Caravan headlight/parking light covers.They are crystal clear again.Most mid to late 90's Chrysler product van covers look bad, at least here in AZ.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was going to post about this. My other vehicle is a Jeep Grand Cherokee, and the headlights are AWEFUL. I was hoping the Mo didn't have this issue.

So best bet to prevent this from happening is using a plastic cleaner and protectant once a month or so?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts