Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI,,, i am a new user in this board, and i just got my new 2004 murano 3 weeks ago. I love this car, and ever thing is perfect for me. Except, the mileage per gallon is totally low for this car. It advertising 20 for city and 24 for highway, but i only got between 10.5 to 11 in city, which is in new york, Brooklyn. I never got exceed 12. I used the machine reading and my own calculation. However, they all below 12.

i wanted to know if this is normal because i only used 458 miles.

thanks
ps. i used amoco 93 prem. oil and drive between 25 to 35 mph.

·
Banned
32 Posts
I get 20

I have an 04 /w 600 miles on it. I've been getting 20mpg in combined driving. I use 91 oct. I don't baby it, but I don't bet it either. I reset my computer at each of the 3 fills.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
City driving will wreck your fuel economy. I get about 14mpg in the city, but on the highway if I keep my speed below 70 I get 22mpg. Above 70, and it can dip below 20mpg. The Murano definitely does not get the advertised fuel mileage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies...but is it below 11 too low???

should i call for engine check or other services??

thanks

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I think its possible to get 10mpg if you drive aggressively in stop and go traffic. Unless you have a check engine light, the dealer will just give you a BS answer that 10mpg is normal mileage, especially in the winter. But if you still get 11mpg after the breakin period, it might be worth getting it checked out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks Eric.. is the breaking mile 1200??? and i can't find the tire pressure in the driver's booklet.. so how much is the normal tire pressure??

thanks

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
william said:
thanks Eric.. is the breaking mile 1200??? and i can't find the tire pressure in the driver's booklet.. so how much is the normal tire pressure??

thanks
33psi all tires, the tire pressure is also located on the placard in the drivers door jam. Keep in mind that even under normal conditions, all cars get terrible mileage in city driving. The EPA numbers are just a set of averages they compile on an artificial (and unrealistic) test loop.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've got 11,000 miles on my M-0 and am getting excellent mileage. Combined city and highway driving I get about 20mpg, and straight highway I get 23-26mpg. Last week I drove from Colo Spgs to Denver and got 27.1 mpg. There is no question that mileage improves as you put miles on the car. I found that after about 5000 miles that mileage started to steadily improve.

·
5,244 Posts
pbeinetti

I have 11,000 on my MO and am observing similar mileage.........for such a big and heavy car it is an excellent result..........

·
Registered
62 Posts
Glad to see that I am not the only one who felt the mileage was a little less than advertised.

I live in Canada and to make the disappointment worse,:( nissan.ca has a calculation mistake stating that the estimated mileage for hwy is 8.8 L/100km or 32 mpg and city is 12.1L/100km or 23 mpg. I don't often refer to L/100km so I was quite impressed with the mpg ratings. After driving for a while I could not even get close (20 mpg at best). Went back and looked at the L/100km rating then all made sense. Nissan.ca should be ashamed. I wrote them a letter to let them know of their error. Maybe I'll get some free swag!?!

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
krpster said:
Glad to see that I am not the only one who felt the mileage was a little less than advertised.

I live in Canada and to make the disappointment worse,:( nissan.ca has a calculation mistake stating that the estimated mileage for hwy is 8.8 L/100km or 32 mpg and city is 12.1L/100km or 23 mpg. I don't often refer to L/100km so I was quite impressed with the mpg ratings. After driving for a while I could not even get close (20 mpg at best). Went back and looked at the L/100km rating then all made sense. Nissan.ca should be ashamed. I wrote them a letter to let them know of their error. Maybe I'll get some free swag!?!
Nissan uses the imperial gallon for calculations in Canada. Since the imperial gallon is larger than the US gallon, the mpg numbes appear higher.

·
101 Posts
I have a little over 5,600 miles on my odo', and I'm getting around 18-20 mpg combined. I drive about 50/50 city/highway. I have seen mileage as high as 27 mpg on the highway (easy cruisin' with a light foot), and as low as 11 mpg in the city (lots of stop-n-go Chicago traffic). I average around 13 mpg city, and 20 highway. This is much better than when I bought the vehicle, so give your MO a chance to break-in.

Don't forget this machine weighs-in at nearly two tons! That is a lot of mass to be constantly starting and stopping (i.e. city driving), which eats up a lot of energy (= more gasoline). That's why the constant velocity of highway driving gives so much better gas mileage (thanks to the CVT).

IMHO, this SUV is a lot better than expected compared to the other SUV's I was looking at before I got my MO (RX300, Pilot, MDX, Xterra).

Also, you can find your tire pressure recommendations on a sticker located on the 'B' pillar by the drive side door.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Eric L. said:

Nissan uses the imperial gallon for calculations in Canada. Since the imperial gallon is larger than the US gallon, the mpg numbes appear higher.
So they have....very underhanded of them. We don't typically use the UK gallon here for any fluid measurement. Especially in reference to vehicle performance. Sneaky.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Stop and go driving kills the Murano. When I drive on short errands around town in traffic for a couple of weeks when I had some time off I was getting about 15 to 16 mpg. This wasn't even a lot of traffic, but a lot of stop lights, signs, etc. At my old job commute I was getting between 18 and 19 mpg. On my new commute I am currently averaging 22.5 mpg. The new commute has fewer stop lights and more cruising at speed. So the type of driving you do, the amount of stop and go, and terrain will drastically affect the MPG.

When driving into to visit family in WV, I got bad highway mileage through the mountains but still averaged 21 for the trip.

I could see where driving in NYC would kill the MPG on the Murano

·
Registered
781 Posts
Drove from Chicago to Florida and got 23-24 driving between 70-80 the entire trip - with one run up to 100 :) It seemed when we were in Illinois where the speed limit is lower (65mph) we got worse gas mileage running 72-74 then we did in the southern states running 80. It wasn't major - +/- 1 MPG.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts