Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Matthew Lesko
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way home the other day I noticed that there were more dash lights on than normal(I've been out of wiper fluid for a few days Tee Hee). The BATTERY and the BRAKE dash lights were lit up. It was time for my 10,000 mile service so I decided to drop the car off last night at the dealer. There was no night drop for whatever reason, so I was about to drive back home. I tried to accellerate out of the parking lot, but when I pressed the gas the car wouldn't move. I could put the pedal all the way down and it would be as if I were only idling foward. Conviently, my car stopped working in the dealers parking lot.

Im thinking it might be the alternator, and I should have some news today.

I'll keep everyone updated.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Battery and Brake lights are the classic indication of a drfective Alternator.

Have you been keeping the water level in your battery topped off, or did you think you had a maintenance free battery?

Just trying to see if batteries with low water could be the cause of the failed alternators.
Probably not, but I thought i would ask..

Homer

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Nissan decided that the idiot light for the alternator would be the battery and brake lights. Genius... :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear you broke down, here's another question for the curious among us. Was it a hot day yesterday? It seems the alternators have a history of frying themselves on the real scorchers.

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
I can not wait until my alternator to fail...

perhaps one of these days.:D

·
Matthew Lesko
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Homer - I was aware that the Murano has a battery that requires maintnence, I have checked it in the past and it was always topped off - I think that the service dept may top it off whenever the car was brought in for service.

Eric - I live in New Orleans. It is very hot and very humid everyday in the summer. It was probably in the upper 90's.

Still no word from the dealer (They said they were extremely busy and probably wouldnt get to look at the car today.) but I'm sure that its the alternator after reading through several threads.

Also, it seemed like my windows would roll up VERY slow for some reason. Noticibly slower. Is this another sign of possible alt failure?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Yeah, could be that the Alternator never put out enuf juice.
Could be a problem with the Voltage Regulator which many moons ago was a separate piece but is now an integral part of the Alt.

The water thing was just a wild shot.
More of a hope than anything else.
So now the rest of us wait for the thing to go out, knowing full well that it will happen on a late saturday afternoon on a holiday weekend in Fargo, North Dakota where Swenson's Nissan doesn't have an Alternator (we find out Tuesday morning, and the closest one is in Chicago)

Crap.

Homer

1 - 6 of 6 Posts