Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't run across anyone posting these problems yet, and i'm wondering if they are specifically linked to MY murano... lucky me!

First off, out of the blue about a week or so ago, it became difficult to change in and out of gears (the stickshift, not the transmission). The shifter moves fairly easily in the front/back direction, but since it also has the left/right movement required to get to park, drive, etc, its almost like something is stuck down there preventing it from moving properly, which is very annoying cuz unless you force it to the left in park, you can't get the key out, and often when i switch from reverse to drive, I notice that I'm actually in low gear.

Anyone else run across this??

Also, my clock has always seemed to be running fast, but now that i'm paying particular attention to it, its gaining in the neighborhood of 2 minutes a week. (oops, sorry... i found the thread on the advancing clock phenomenon)

I love my car, failed alternator, squealing brakes and rattling window included, but i've never had so many problems with a new car!!!

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
What model year is your MO? GRIP :D

·
Registered
175 Posts
The shifter should be smooth as butter, forcing it is not good at all. You mentioned shifting from reverse to drive and actually being in low. Does this mean the shifter is in drive and the dash displays low?

Your shifting mechanism is binding somewhere, I suggest getting to a service dept. ASAP.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I don't think this applies to the Murano, but I know that on my 97 Maxima, it was a wrestling match to get it out of park if I did not set the parking brake before hand. Do you use the parking brake?

On the Maxima I did this after parking:

Shift to N
Set parking brake
Foot off brake pedal (now car is resting on parking brake only)
Shift to P
Turn off car

Never had a problem with shifting out of park after that. I think the load on the parking pawl was just too high so you really had to pull the shifter hard to move the gear selector.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
DEALER TIME!!! GRIP :D

·
4,664 Posts
Trev said:
The shifter should be smooth as butter, forcing it is not good at all. You mentioned shifting from reverse to drive and actually being in low. Does this mean the shifter is in drive and the dash displays low?

Your shifting mechanism is binding somewhere, I suggest getting to a service dept. ASAP.
I agree...

Also, many Murano's have squealing brakes when backing up, for 2-3 months when into the 4-6 month old range. It goes away as the pads wear in. If it's squealing going forward, you may as well as the dealer about that as well.

The clock? Yeah, I suppose that's why it's disabled in the Infinitis...

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I think it would be worthwhile to try the parking brake trick before visiting the dealer. If it doesn't work, then (once, twice, thrice...) dealer time!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone... I'm thinking dealer time too!
Of course, I have to wait until I get a day off work to make the trek out to the dealer where I purchased the MO. Hoping I don't get stuck somewhere in the meantime!

The shifter USED to be smooth like butter, and I'm really not sure what happened!. The problem isn't with syncronizing with parking break (and yes, i DO use my parking break always). It's almost as though something (maybe under the console?) is interfering with the side to side motion (say, like when shifting from D to P, the shifter goes up, then to the left before being fully in Park), same goes with the shift from D to Ds, it actually slid from one to the other while I was driving... yikes!!

Of course there is always a random possibility that (godforbid) someone dropped something down beside the gearshift... which would be reminiscent of taking my last car in cuz the cd player wasn't working, only to find out that there were nickels stuck in it... sheesh!

Will keep you posted
Thanks again!

Oh yeah... and at my last oil change I mentioned the squealing brakes to the dealer, who's response was "we'll look at that during your 25000 K service"... to which I inquired as to why i had to wait until I was PAYING for a service in order for them to look at my squealing brakes! When I picked the car up I was told "theres nothing wrong with the brakes"....
arrrggghhh! Big Nissan Canada brush off... AGAIN!

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I am thinking now its a problem with shift interlock system (the thing that requires you to step on the brake pedal before shifting). Anyways, good luck with the dealer. Let us know what they find. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts