Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Murano AWD with about 700 miles on it. As soon as I bought it I noticed that while driving at night many approaching cars would flash their lights at me. I assumed the headlights were incorrectly adjusted and took it to the dealer.
He just shined the headlights against the shop door and adjusted them somewhat lower. Is this method approved by Nissan?
The last time I had a car's headlights adjusted they checked for stuff in the trunk, checked tire pressure, then drove it to a spot painted on the floor in front of a chart on the wall and adjusted the lights to point at the correct place on the chart. My dealer's method seems kind of random and I don't have any confidence I am getting the best performance out of the lights. Is this the normal way Nissan dealers adjust headlights?
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
"half-assed" is the way that nearly every Nissan dealer does any type of work. If you spend some time on this forum, you'll see that kind of experience all the time, unfortunately. Rarely someone will have a good Nissan service department, but it seems few and far between.

That said, them adjusting it down a bit might be all you need.

A test that I tend to do (which is very un-scientific) is that when you're only using low beams and you're on a straight level road at night, you should be able to clearly see where your lights end. Meaning that you should see a line on the pavement somewhere in front of you where it's clearly the edge of your light. If you can't see that, and the pavement just gradually gets darker and you can't determine a specific line of light versus not, then they're aimed too high.

No idea if that's really a correct method to use, but it's what I've used for my vehicles. Note that I don't have, nor have I ever had, HID headlights. I'm not sure if this method would be appropriate in that case or not. I do know that people have posted the light pattern for HIDs on this forum somewhere, so that when you're shining the lights against a wall the right one is higher than the left, but again I am certainly no expert.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Attached is a section from the service manual that gives the headlamp adjustment procedure. It may be that the tech who adjusted yours had so much experience as to be able to do it so casually. You may be able to use these instructions to double-check and make your own adjustments, or determine if you need to take it to another dealership.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Attached is a section from the service manual that gives the headlamp adjustment procedure. It may be that the tech who adjusted yours had so much experience as to be able to do it so casually. You may be able to use these instructions to double-check and make your own adjustments, or determine if you need to take it to another dealership.
Thanks. From what I've read it looks like I'll have to do it myself, and this is what I needed.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Thanks for posting Qat. So, in layman's terms, it looks like on a level surface, low-beam cut-off should be at 28 inches from a distance of ~33 feet. Am I reading this correctly?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Thanks for posting Qat. So, in layman's terms, it looks like on a level surface, low-beam cut-off should be at 28 inches from a distance of ~33 feet. Am I reading this correctly?
Here's how I'm reading it ...

32.8 feet between the front of the headlamp to the adjustment screen.

Between 27.56" and 31.54" is the distance from the ground to the horizontal center of the headlamp (3 values - S, SL and SE? accounting for different wheel/tire sizes?)

Highest cutoff line is between .16" and .67" below the horizontal center line

Lowest cutoff line is between 1.18" and 1.73" below the horizontal center line

The highest and lowest cutoff values correspond to a specific horizontal center line

I believe the driver's side headlight should be aligned to the lowest cutoff and the passenger's side headlight should be aligned to the highest cutoff. I have not noticed it with the Murano, but on The Wife's Camry, the difference between the aim in the two headlights is obvious.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is there an adjustment to move the headlights from right to left or left to right? I just put new headlight assemblies on our 2007 murano and the light on the drivers side seems to be pointing to far towards the center.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Is there an adjustment to move the headlights from right to left or left to right? I just put new headlight assemblies on our 2007 murano and the light on the drivers side seems to be pointing to far towards the center.

Just up and down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts