Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

We recently purchased our daughter a 2009 Murano and she loving it! It provides the storage that she needs and it's been a good car for her. She is now in the habit of pulling out the key fob from the ignition and then pressing the Start/Stop button to shut off the car. This is driving my husband nuts!!!! He's told her the proper way to turn it off is to shut off the engine first and then disengage the key fob. Her comment back was, my friend has a Murano and this is how they do it, so it's ok. So my question is, will her process of turning off the car damage the car or the key fob??? Here to settle a family emergency! LOL

Thanks,
Krista

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
All,

We recently purchased our daughter a 2009 Murano and she loving it! It provides the storage that she needs and it's been a good car for her. She is now in the habit of pulling out the key fob from the ignition and then pressing the Start/Stop button to shut off the car. This is driving my husband nuts!!!! He's told her the proper way to turn it off is to shut off the engine first and then disengage the key fob. Her comment back was, my friend has a Murano and this is how they do it, so it's ok. So my question is, will her process of turning off the car damage the car or the key fob??? Here to settle a family emergency! LOL

Thanks,
Krista
It doesn't matter. This is really a keyless ignition and as long as the key fob is in proximity to the key antenna the car will function normally. Also, there is a physical key inside the fob to unlock the door if the battery dies and you need to get in the car.

·
Administrator
9,099 Posts
Husbands get caught up in the role of "I know everything about cars." This is especially true when he is assuming that something he did 30 years ago is still The Way to use a car.

I know, I'm a husband.

I Need Coffee is Correct. If the car starts with the fob in the car, you don't need to ever take it out of your pocket.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Correct, the fob only needs to be inserted into the ignition key port if the fob's battery is failing according to this 2nd gen Murano video:

Reactions: Krista B

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Husbands get caught up in the role of "I know everything about cars." This is especially true when he is assuming that something he did 30 years ago is still The Way to use a car.

I know, I'm a husband.

I Need Coffee is Correct. If the car starts with the fob in the car, you don't need to ever take it out of your pocket.
We actually have two newer cars where you don't have to insert the key fob in at all. He was basing it on thinking if there was a slot for it, it needed to be inserted.

·
Administrator
9,099 Posts
We actually have two newer cars where you don't have to insert the key fob in at all. He was basing it on thinking if there was a slot for it, it needed to be inserted.
I have both. In neither case does the fob need to be inserted. If it's in the car and the car starts, you're good.

One caveat: if the fob battery recharges when it is inserted into the dash receptacle, then it would be good to get in the habit of doing so. You'll have to check the owner's manual on this. I don't know what your model does in this regard. Some cars do not recharge the battery while in the slot.

Reactions: Krista B
1 - 6 of 6 Posts