Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,
I have an 04 MO with 5800 miles on it. Recently, I have been noticing a puff of smoke coming from the exhaust pipe especially on startup. The color of the smoke is white and its odorless. The smoke is still noticeable after driving for half an hour.
I called my local nissan dealer and talk to someone in service department. I explained my problem and he said not to worry because it is normal? He also told me that the puff of smoke is a steam. Do you guys agree with the dealer? Anyone have similar experience? Thanks in advance

I apologize if this has been asked before.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
I did a search on "smoke" at our forum and their are a number of posts that will be helpfull.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Watch your coolant level very carefully, you may have a small head gasket leak. It is not normal. A bit of water dripping from the exhaust is fine, its condensation in the exhaust - but not a puff of smoke/steam.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bruno said:
Watch your coolant level very carefully, you may have a small head gasket leak. It is not normal. A bit of water dripping from the exhaust is fine, its condensation in the exhaust - but not a puff of smoke/steam.
Bruno,
Thanks for your reply. I better make an appointment and have the dealer check it out. Thanks again

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
You don't happen to be driving in cold weather are you?

Because here, that kind of thing happens about 6 months of the year. And it IS just steam and normal.

·
Registered
416 Posts
A puff of smoke right at startup is either burning oil (bluish color) or burning coolant(whitish); neither is good...."steam" or exhaust condensation usually takes 30 seconds or so to be seen as it takes a while for the H20 to build up in the exhaust system....if the smoke /steam lasts for quite awhile, it is most likely coolant (bad) or exhaust steam(normal)...

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Black, grey, or blue smoke is burning oil. White billowing smoke (that hangs around) is burning coolant. Normal condensation in your exhaust pipes will produce some steam, but its usually thin and whispy (hehe, like that word?). If its really cold outside for you and you parked your car outside, then the steam might last quite a while.

The advice in this post is sound, keep an eye on your coolant levels.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all great replies!

i took my car to the dealer this morning and they found nothing abnormal. The service advisor said it is a steam because it disappears right away. Smoke usually hangs around. My Mo is not garage by the way. So that explains why. You guys are very helpful. Thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts