Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Just wondering if anyone out there has recent real prices and/or any info on dealers in the Seattle area. We're willing to drive for a good deal, but we also would like to hear of any good or bad dealer experiences, especially when it comes to service. We'll be buying the week before Thanksgiving, either a 2004, or maybe a 2003 if the savings are good enough. Thanks!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Lynnwood Nissan

Well I bought mine in March of 03 at Campbell Nissan in Lynnwood, WA it is a 2003 Midnight Blue AWD SL with Navigation, leather, Bose, heated everything, HID lights, fully loaded every optiona and I got it for 37,000 with Nissan Platinum Extended warranty that they through in. So out the door with taxes and licences it was like $40,500 or so. But i guess it all depends on what options you get the best way is to go online, build a car on nissanusa.com and get an idea how much one with Navigation cost or one with out it, or one with AWD or just FWD, etc. Then find one you like in your proce range and go their to undercut the cost. NEVER ever pay MSRP those prices are soo jacked up. Anyways happy hunting, if you have any more questions ask away.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Floaty. What are your overall impressions of the dealership? Would you buy from them again?

·
Registered
70 Posts
dealer verdict

They were good it did take me about 2hrs to buy the car, but buying a car in my experience has never been a quick process. Anyways, test drove it right away the longest part was hassling the guy for the lowest price, had to bring out the manager and haggle it out with him as well , lil verbal match if ya know. The only thing I didnt like was that it took 45 mins for them to clean the car, which is cool but took a long time, they filled up the gas, washed it, cleaned the interior , vacuumed, etc the whole nine.

Good luck to you, keep me posted.

·
Registered
11 Posts
We bought our MO from Karmart in Burlington (north of Mount Vernon)! We got our 2003 SE AWD Glacier Pearl loaded except Nav for $200 under invoice!

I faxed them a request with the invoice prices on it telling them exactly what I wanted and they faxed back their best price! Would have gotten it for a lot less but I asked them to trade with another dealer quite a distance away because we wanted the Glacier Pearl and almost no one had it!

They have the lowest prices and their sales tax rate will be 1% cheaper than Seattle and surrounding areas which will save you around $300-$400 depending on your final price!

Their service department has been very nice--I deal with a service person named Alan who goes out of his way to help! I've had a couple pieces of interior replaced because they were dinged when they received the car in trade, and have had them add the side step bars!

Good luck!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks CTCJCC! We are curious what week in the month you sent your fax and how much your first tabs were. We are going to send out faxes the week of the 17th, the last full week of the month, and hope for the best. Thanks again!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
familyman:

nice job bargaining i'd say! was this recently? did you do it in person or via email/phone/fax? thanks for the info. i'll be pretty darn happy to get a price like that!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I can't speek for pricing but I've had my Murano services at the Karmart dealer in burlington and I stopped by the Performance Dealer in Everett to buy a new set of wiper blades.

At the time the Karmart dealer was nice enough, but their selection seemed rather limitted.

The Performance Nissan Dealer had no less than 14 Muranos on their lot.

Maybe someone else here could tell you more about pricing. Remember to try to get the name of the sales rep and the sales manager that they dealt with.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Tell Michael Petre @ Performance Nissan you are a friend of Calvin.
You will get close to 2K below invoice. (1.5-2K)
Yes I picked up my 2003 SE AWD less than 1 month ago.
I might go back to pick up a Quest for my friend.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, thanks for the referral. Is he an actual friend of yours, or someone you met at the dealership? Will he think it's wierd that some random person uses your name? I checked their inventory online and they still have quite a few left, so we'll check it out.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have NEVER spent more than 1 hour buying a car. Doing the deal that is. Total time in the dealership for my 4runner and my Mo was 1.5hours max.
Do your homework.
Pay the $12 and get a consumer reports print out of exactly what they paid for the vehicle. It will tell you every price they pay to the manufacturer for each item. Floor mats 49, MSRP 99. Ect.
You can also do this on KBB.com for free.
We paid 3k under invoice on the 4runner. $39490, we paid $35800.
For the Murano we bought yesterday Sticker was $36180, we paid $33118. Since they said they were selling it for $400 over invoince, I had BOTH show me the invoice book of all the vehicles that come off the truck and what they cost the dealer. They normally won't do this but they knew I was in sales and knew what I was talking about. They never gave me a hassle or even once tried to say anything about the price or anything. I said this is what you paid, I will pay this. Which happened to be $400 over invoice on the Murano which is unreal from some of the prices I have heard some have paid, so I did a good deal on that one. And saves $3000 off invoice on the 4runner and paid the dealer $780. But I got them to give me a $130 Cutter and Buck Jacket with the deal, so I saved a little more.
The more homework you do, the more you know, the more you don't WONDER what the REAL price they paid for the vehicle, the better deal you are going to get. NEVER go to a dealer without knowing EXACTLY what they paid for each option. Then add up all the options plus the base price of the vehicle you want to buy, and you have the price they paid. A "normal" dealer price they should make off a vehicle is from $700-1200 for a Murano due to demand and type of vehicle. For a Yugo, $50. You get the idea.

That is how I have always done it, and I have never lost. I have never had to argue, never had the salesman go get the sales manager, ect. I told them I don't play those games. This is the price you paid, this is what I will pay, go get the price you can, if it is good enough, we will buy it, if not, we will walk. If you have to, walk. Then see what they do. They will work with you. THEY DO NOT WANT TO LOSE YOUR SALE OVER MAKING AN EXTRA FEW HUNDRED DOLLARS EXTRA, WHEN THEY WILL LOOK BETTER BY THE OVERALL # OF VEHICLES THEY SELL.

Like a NAV system, they pay $1734, MSRP $1999, Chrome wheels $966, MSRP $1199. You just go add up all the lower #s and that is what they paid. The higher is exactly what the sticker says.

Just my 2 cents and perspective. I don't play games when I go, and I always go prepared. And like I tell them, screw the guy that comes in here and has no idea, don't try and pull the wool over my eyes when we both know I know the game, the price and what you are making off the deal. So either sell me the vehicle or I will find a dealer who will and knows when they have a customer who is educated.

And always make it clear, they are not the only dealer, and the Murano is not the only vehicle out there. And DEFINETELY DON'T LET THEM TELL YOU THESE THINGS ARE FLYING OFF THE SHELF. They all say that. Sure they are selling well, still doesn't mean they are wiling to lose a sale over it.

Usually there are dealer hold backs and other incentives that the dealer gets from the manufacturer that you can also bargain with if you know about them. Right now there are NO INCENTIVES ON THE MURANO, NOT EVEN ON FINANCING. Just something to know, so you know they are holding out on you.

Good luck,
Chez

PS And always bring a folder with your print outs and all the other info you have. They hate that. Then they know you are going to add each item up and calculate the price for each vehicle if they try and sell you another one with less options for a higher price. Its another trick they try and do. AT LEAST THE SCREWY DEALERS. There are good ones out there that will take your deal and run with it and have you signing papers 10 min. later.
That is what happened last night.
We were in and out of the dealer within an hour and a half, even with the wife chattin about this and that..........:blahblah: :blahblah:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Chez and everyone else. We have a large folder of info already. Much of it came from fightingchance.com. I feel we are so ready for this transaction compared to the last new car we bought. We did EVERYTHING wrong. This time will be a breeze. So far we have spent a total of about half an hour in the dealerships, mostly just waiting to go on test drives. I plan on maybe spending another half hour when we pick up the MO. Ten days and counting!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Why 1-2K below invoice is possible.

if you buy 03 Murano, you do have a good chance to get it way below invoice like I did. One might ask why a dealer would that.
Everycar they have on their lot costs money as they keep it one more day. Also, unless the get rid of all 03 model, they can't get 04 allocation which can be a big problem in the long run. Plus, a dealer usually has 2-3% holdback depends on a model. Therefore if a dealer has many Muranos sitting on the lot (10+), I bet they will do anything to get rid of them to get the new 04 allocation. This also varies depening on the size of the dealer. For those who are in the market for 03 Murano, this is the best time to buy them. It did not require any negotiation for me. I told them what I was willing to pay without any contingency. (no trade, finace and etc). If the dealer was willing to give me a car for XXX, I would write a check and go home with a new rig. At least that's what i did. In fact, if you are willing to get a finance from the dealer you can even get a better deal on the car as they can make some $$$ from the financing as well.
Good luck and do not pay more than Invoice-1K.
-END-

·
Registered
139 Posts
Familyman,

You are correct in some aspects. Not ALL vehicles have holdbacks. Especially if they are in high demand.
Also you are correct in that the LARGER dealers are the ones where you will be able to get a vehicle under invoice or at invoice depending on the timing and everything else. Of course, sometimes even the large dealers will tell you to walk if you won't pay MSRP depending on supply and demand.
Right now is the best time to get an 03 like you said. Also I would buy from the biggest dealer you can with the most Muranos on the lot, that way you have a better chance of dealing.

As for people like myself, who live in BFE, due to the wife being a Nuke button pusher. We live in N. Dakota. Some of the dealers out here don't even have Muranos on the lot cause there aren't enough people with enough money to buy them. We drove 6 hours to go to a dealership that had a whole whopping 3 on the lot. So we weren't able to get the same prices and deals most people are able to in the bigger cities.
Although with the dealer we ended up buying from had 2 on the lot. And we got it for $400 over invoice. So I called him today to talk to him candedly about people getting them under invoice and all that. And he said yes in the larger cities where the dealers are working off of the amount of vehicles sold per month and other quotas, hold backs, and other stuff where they make extra money, it is possible. He did say $1000 under is a bit much. But $500 or so is doable. There is a point where they will loose money on selling a vehicle so far under invoice and that doesn't happen much, if at all.
So he did say, that with the type of dealer we got ours from, and the other dealers in N. Dakota being so small, he was suprised he was able to get ours for $400 over invoice(that is what I told them I would pay). He said honestly he didn't think his sales manager would go for it, especially since they hadn't had it that long, it was fully loaded with Chrome rims, and Charcoal interior, it wouldn't be a hard one to sell. So he said honestly we did get a great deal compared to what they have been getting for those since they are harder to get in N. Dakota due to the dealers being so small, and it being a great plains state there are a lot of farmers, factories, and overall just a lower income state. So like he said that is why you see so many pontiac sunfires and other lower cost vehicles. (it was amazing when we came here how many we saw, there is a pontiac dealer in every city it seems like). So they try and make their money off of the "luxury" or well sought after vehicles like the Murano. But that we came at a good time, and the sales manager knew I had already done my homework, was in sales myself, and it was either an easy sale or we would walk. So that is what got us the deal.
So it was nice to talk to him candidly and see what the below invoice stuff was all about and the deal that we got on our vehicle. I also told him not to feed me a line just to make me feel good, as the deal was already done and we already were happy with what we paid and everything else. So I think he was honest with us.

So I guess the deal right now is, if you live in a larger city and have a dealer with a lot of 03's you can really get a good deal and get them to give it to you for a little over cost pretty much. Especially seeing how they want to get the 04's in ASAP. I heard one dealer had 123 03's on their lot. I would love to have had a chance to get one from them. It would have been worth the plane ticket to fllllly out and buy one from them right now. He said that they were looking to pawn them off on other dealers in states 4-5 states away and said they would pay the shipping just to get them off their lot cause they don't think they will be able to sell them all, even if they have a super blow out sale since they had already sold so many already throughout the year. Its hard to continue to sell the same vehicle in the same city when you have a certain amount of people that live in that city. So unless you have people coming in from other cities, you pretty much have tapped out the market in that city. Pretty funny to hear that story. He said he read it in an email today.
Which is funny, cause when we were trying to get one with charcoal interior, they checked all the dealers within a 4 state radius and only 2 had charcoal interiors. Both were demo models with over 4500miles and still wanted $100 over invoice. We laughed at em'. As far as I am concerned, those are USED vehicles. They offered me one for 33280, I countered with KBB's blue book value of $28750 and the guy was fuming on the phone, I just laughed and said don't try and **** me and think I am going to take it. He probably wanted to hang up, but being a dealer, he said I can't deal with those #'s so I have got to go.

Anyway, moral of the story - if you can find a dealer with a lot of 03's and lo-ball the heck out of the price and see what you can get. Also get them to add in the Gold preffered 7year warrantee for rock bottom prices too. Also be aware that salesman have $100 cards they can use to drop the price on that as well. I forget what they are called, but the finance lady said she would have one of them give one up for us to get the price down a little for us. A 3 year warrantee to me is worthless. Its the day after the 3rd year when stuff starts to generally go wrong.

Sorry for the book. But I thought I would pass on the info I learned today.

Chez

·
Registered
34 Posts
Chezman29 ..

Chezman29,
I usually dont post the purchase price stuff on the net as everyone lives in a different city where supply/demand is different. I just happen to live in a place where there are tons of new muranos sitting on the lot unsold. Where you live, you will be one of very few exclusive Murano owners, which is really cool. To put things in perspective, i have to tell you that I paid over MSRP (yes MSRP not INVOICE) for my last car.
In order to get a car in a high demand, one has to pay whatever it takes to get one if that's what he wants. I bet I am paying at least 100% more than what you paid for your house here in East side of Seattle and that is more than enough to offset the price difference you and i paid. :blahblah:
Thanks for sharing your story.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts