Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2009 Murano SL, AWD

a couple of months ago, strange behavior started - when I accelerate, the car nudges to the left, when I take my foot off the gas, after a quick second it jerks to the right. Last week, I purchased 4 new tires and had a 4 wheel alignment done thinking it was the worn tires. Nothing changed, if anything it seems even more noticeable.

Also, when I enter a curve at highway speeds, part way into the curve the car will suddenly pull in the direction I am turning.

The repair shop that installed the tires checked everything under the front end and said everything was tight and could not find anything that would cause this. The service manager took it for a test drive and confirmed the behavior but was at a loss as to what was causing it.

thanks in advance for any ideas.
Bill

·
Super Moderator
8,074 Posts
That is a weird one. Sounds like alternating torque steer, which is not "a thing."

Any chance the brakes are dragging or doing something odd?

·
Registered
858 Posts
Hi,

a couple of months ago, strange behavior started - when I accelerate, the car nudges to the left, when I take my foot off the gas, after a quick second it jerks to the right. Last week, I purchased 4 new tires and had a 4 wheel alignment done thinking it was the worn tires. Nothing changed, if anything it seems even more noticeable.

Also, when I enter a curve at highway speeds, part way into the curve the car will suddenly pull in the direction I am turning.

The repair shop that installed the tires checked everything under the front end and said everything was tight and could not find anything that would cause this. The service manager took it for a test drive and confirmed the behavior but was at a loss as to what was causing it.

Bill
I would suspect something in the power steering rack. It will not show up as a worn/loose part during normal front end check. You have to have someone in a pit, or the car up on a drive on rack, looking up at the steering rack while someone is turning the steering wheel.

To me it sounds like a weak seal in the steering rack, giving way under pressure. When accelerating, power steering pump is supplying more pressure. When rounding a corner, counter-pressure is exerting force on the steering rack. Both conditions exert press on the hydraulic system, which could cause a seal to leak, changing the steering angle.

Hope this points you in the right direction.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
don't this its the brakes, as the symptom is 100% predictable and exactly the same every time.

thanks

·
Super Moderator
8,074 Posts
I'm really impressed by Paul Day's answer...either the hydraulic issue he explains or a mechanical problem that allows the rack to shift the position of the steering. For that matter, make sure the rack is bolted firmly in place.

This is a really a weird problem, but it seems most likely to be something in the front end. The brake idea seems worse the longer I think about it.

·
Registered
853 Posts
It could be something confined to one side of the car.

A totally blown shock will cause the car to want to lean towards and away as you speed up and down.

A-arm bushing or ball joints.

You could have the alignment dialed in but drag on an axle could cause the back and forth.

Does it stay perfectly centered when coasting?

·
Registered
858 Posts
I'm really impressed by Paul Day's answer...either the hydraulic issue he explains or a mechanical problem that allows the rack to shift the position of the steering. For that matter, make sure the rack is bolted firmly in place.

This is a really a weird problem, but it seems most likely to be something in the front end. The brake idea seems worse the longer I think about it.
After the transfer case and CVT were replaced on my 2003 Murano I would turn the wheel on rough pavement and there would be a solid clunk in the front end and the steering angle would change.

Went to the dealer and the tech couldn't get it to do it in the lot. As I was leaving, it happened at the end of the dealer's driveway as I turned to leave. Put the car in reverse, got the tech and had him drive it again. Wouldn't happen for him at that same spot so I insisted that he try a few other locations and try again. Well, it finally clunked and boy was he surprised at how loud it was and that you could feel it in the steering wheel.

Long story short, steering rack main bolt (Location of notch to locate the rack on the frame.) was loose and the indent and notch was sliding in and out, causing the clunk. They just loosened the bolt and aligned the notch and retightened that bolt and checked the remaining bolts. Problem solved.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
858 Posts
It could be something confined to one side of the car.

A totally blown shock will cause the car to want to lean towards and away as you speed up and down.

A-arm bushing or ball joints.

You could have the alignment dialed in but drag on an axle could cause the back and forth.

Does it stay perfectly centered when coasting?
I thought of these things, but as the OP stated parts were checked during the alignment, which on a Murano should be a 4 wheel alignment, meaning the tech should have been looking for worn parts in the rear also. It might be advantageous to have a good look at the rear just in case the tech checked the front end only. Eliminate all possibilities.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I thought of these things, but as the OP stated parts were checked during the alignment, which on a Murano should be a 4 wheel alignment, meaning the tech should have been looking for worn parts in the rear also. It might be advantageous to have a good look at the rear just in case the tech checked the front end only. Eliminate all possibilities.

Have a good day.

Right, but the tech can’t find a problem. Issue #1 is find a new tech.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the suggestions...

took it to a second mechanic which I have dealt with before with good success. He and his son both looked over everything they could think of - front end and back end -took it for test drives and confirmed the behavior but couldn't come up with an explanation.

They re-confirmed everything is tight and in good working order...not unsafe to drive, but baffled by the behavior.

Puzzled in Puxico

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, on to the third mechanic, recommended by the second. This guy had a lift that could raise the car by the tires, not the frame so he could check and see if there was any play in the steering rack since the tires were held stationary by the lift.

His diagnosis: the lower control arm bushings are shot. Replace the lower control arms.

Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So the diagnosis was right, the rubber bushings were worn to the point of being too soft and flexible, but not evident to a casual inspection. Replaced the control arms and it took care of the issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am so glad I saw this thread.... my 2009 Murano had been doing this exact same thing and nobody could tell me why. I replaced several parts but the issue continued. Now, the rear-end is out so it has been parked for a while. However, at least now I know how to fix this issue once I replace the rear-end.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Wow I am glad I did a search on google and came up with this thread. My Nissan 2009 MO SL AWD is doing the exact same thing, and think if I was to take it into a dealership they might give me the same run around not knowing what the issue was. I was told a few months ago I by ARG (active green and ross) that my lower control arms need to be replaced, showed me the main bushing was ripped but not completely gone, I suspect now it is but they want $717 parts and labor to fix it..

So I am thinking now of ordering the parts and seeing if my brother who's a mechanic wants to tackle the job or will see what ARG will charge me to do it if I provide them with the parts.

I appreciate you posting this!! :)

Thanks,

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

Bill
My 2009 Murano is doing the same thing. did you find out what the problem is?

·
Registered
1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT
1 Posts
I am so glad I saw this thread.... my 2009 Murano had been doing this exact same thing and nobody could tell me why. I replaced several parts but the issue continued. Now, the rear-end is out so it has been parked for auto clicker a while. However, at least now I know how to fix this issue once I replace the rear-end.
The repair shop that installed the tires checked everything under the front end and said everything was tight and could not find anything that would cause this.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts