Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently noticed that my lights, interior and exterior pulse in rhyme with the idle of the engine. I like to think of it as an extra feature, but i am worried that LEO will not find it as entertaining.

I have replaced the battery (old) and the local shop said the alternator was good.

Thoughts please?

Thank you Zarinn24

·
Super Moderator
7,624 Posts
Yes, grab a digital multimeter (or buy one at Home Depot, nothing fancy is needed), set it to DC volts and check the voltage across the + and - battery terminals at two times:

1) Before starting the car. You should see around 12.5 volts. Anything under 12V means your battery either isn't getting charged or isn't holding the charge. Many cars won't even start if the battery is under 12V.

2) Right after starting the car. Right after starting, you should see the system running about 14.2 to 14.4 volts. After a few minutes that may drop to 14V or a hair less, as the Murano system is smart enough to drop the charging rate when the battery is at full charge.

Stay there for a few minutes and if the lights start to flicker, check the voltage while that's happening. If the voltage drops (likely) you have a charging system problem, probably either the alternator or the voltage regulator built into the alternator.

·
Registered
187 Posts
What Pilgrim said. Also, check and make sure the battery terminals are bolted on snug while you're reading the voltage. Look for possible loose or corroded cable ground, terminals, connectors, around the battery area too while you're at it. Good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So i bought a multimeter at Lowes yesterday and checked the voltage across the battery.
Turned off the voltage was 12-13V, when running it maintained about 14, bumped to 15 a couple times over the course of a min.

·
Registered
847 Posts
If the battery checks out, I would go and have your alternator tested. That may be your issue. Pulsing lights are a good sign of a dying alternator.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
srT4URBO
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing