Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
The Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently started getting kind of a pumping noise from the middle of engine compartment. It happens all the time now especially when accelerating or after i shut off the engine.
Went to the dealer and was told that this is completely normal and that it's a pump for the motor mounts. Also was told that all Muranos have this noise and that it was always there. I can tell you one thing for sure, IT WASN'T THERE BEFORE :(((((

Any suggestions ?!

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Interesting... I've never heard that. I can't say I agree with the dealer but without hearing it, I can't say for sure but the engine mouth excuse sounds like BS. :bsflag:

Perhaps try another dealer and see what they say. When does it occur? When engine is running, first start, after shut down, cold hot etc?

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I know I can hear the fuel injectors whir and click when I shut off the engine. Its the same way on my Maxima too.

·
The Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is very loud, too loud i would say.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
MOCKBA said:
It is very loud, too loud i would say.
Well in that case, I do not have that pumping noise on my Murano. I would insist the dealer reproduce the noise on another new Murano on the lot, to prove to you that its normal.

·
Registered
982 Posts
MOCKBA said:
I recently started getting kind of a pumping noise from the middle of engine compartment. It happens all the time now especially when accelerating or after i shut off the engine.
Went to the dealer and was told that this is completely normal and that it's a pump for the motor mounts. Also was told that all Muranos have this noise and that it was always there. I can tell you one thing for sure, IT WASN'T THERE BEFORE :(((((

Any suggestions ?!
Bring it to a another Nissan dealer. It's called a 2nd opinion !! Now go get one. (or maybe a reliable local auto mechanic). Good Luck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i think i have the same noise your describing, i didnt notice it untill a few months after i got my Mo. i would not describe it as a pumping sound thou, its deffiently an electric motor sound, (whey, whey, whey, whey) every time i hit the gas or crank it , or when i shut it off. it will make a series of 4 sounds (whey, whey, whey, whey) the dealer said they never heard it before, but when i picked it up from service, they said "it was the T.P.S. calaibrating". its annoying. My Mo is a 03 SL AWD. i thought i messed somthing up, because it seemed to start after i found out how to turn off the awd by applying the parking brake while going. i started noticing it after that. but thats been 10 thousand miles ago.

keep me posted what you learn
Dennis

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Shift_less said:
i thought i messed somthing up, because it seemed to start after i found out how to turn off the awd by applying the parking brake while going. i started noticing it after that. but thats been 10 thousand miles ago.

What? Can you explain?

·
The Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is EXACTLY what i have.
And i was told that this is a pump for the Engine Mounts.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Gonzo said:

What? Can you explain?
explaining the turning off of the AWD. for some reason if you apply the parking brake at least 1click were the brake lite comes on it will turn off the AWD, and the front wheels will spin. but this will only do this rolling, if the MO is compleatly stopped, its in AWD but when it rolls it turns off the AWD some how then the front wheels will spinn realy fast!

will this cause any harm?
i thought others knew about this trick.

·
Registered
29 Posts
MOCKBA said:
That is EXACTLY what i have.
And i was told that this is a pump for the Engine Mounts.
i have never heard of a motor mount with a pump, and if for some wonderful technolagical reason it has a pump, why is it pumping all the time? seems like it would do its purpose then stop. and why the need after the motor shuts off?

the same goes for the T.P.S. why does it need to set it self all the time and after we turn of the MO?

a answer is out there, we just have to find it.

p.s.-----have you ever done the parking brake trick?

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Shift_less said:

explaining the turning off of the AWD. for some reason if you apply the parking brake at least 1click were the brake lite comes on it will turn off the AWD, and the front wheels will spin. but this will only do this rolling, if the MO is compleatly stopped, its in AWD but when it rolls it turns off the AWD some how then the front wheels will spinn realy fast!

will this cause any harm?
i thought others knew about this trick.
You do this to spin the front wheels to feel like a racer?

The Murano actually starts off in FWD all the time (unless AWD lock switch is pushed), and will first use traction control, and then activate the AWD if you have no traction.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
How do you know (when stopped) if the AWD is on or off? I guess if the AWD is off just spinning the front wheels on something like snow will not hurt anything over a short period.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Perhaps it is the fuel pump re-pressurizing the fuel system??? Just a guess.

Motor mounts tend to be solid objects, I cannot see how/why there would be any pumps connected to them for any reason. I agree that you should get a second opinion. From my experience very few of Nissans "master techs" are masters of anything besides the art of BS.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
TonyD(90Z32TT) said:
Perhaps it is the fuel pump re-pressurizing the fuel system??? Just a guess.

Motor mounts tend to be solid objects, I cannot see how/why there would be any pumps connected to them for any reason. I agree that you should get a second opinion. From my experience very few of Nissans "master techs" are masters of anything besides the art of BS.
The Murano, I believe has one electronically controlled liquid filled engine mount and two or three solid rubber ones.

·
Registered
97 Posts
i found out how to turn off the awd by applying the parking brake while going.

What's this all about? You can shut of the AWD? Must save on gas, HUH?

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
billy bronco said:

I don't see a point in doing this since the Murano defaults to FWD 99% of the time anyways. AWD is only activated if its really slippery, such as on snow or ice, and even then, its only for a moment when you initially accelerate.

·
Registered
470 Posts
billy bronco said:

Since the AWD is electronically controlled I suppose it is possible that if the parking brake sensor is on that the AWD is programmed to be off as if you were at a stop or parked.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
i have the exact same whey whey whey whey problem, i'm taking mine into the dealer monday to find out what it is. they also say it is the motor mount but this noise just started happening about 2 or 3 weeks ago. i've never herd it before then. it's really noticable when you have your windows open and your start from a stop, or you rev then engine when your parked. also hapens when you turn on and turn off the mo. but now my mom is reporting that the murano is feeling slugish for some reason. we'll just have to find out on monday.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts