·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think that if you want to install something in the back and already have a hitch (or intend to install one), you need to go with the bumper guard option.

·
Super Secret Member
31 Posts
I've been looking for decent bumper guards since I got my mo, (about 1 month ago). I didn't find that much, but I did find 4x4 parts.com. I went with the nudge bars front and rear and the nerf bars. I just ordered them on friday. I thought the stainless steel would look nice aginst all that black. I'm not sure about the wagg bumper guards, but the SS nudge bars have factory mounting points, front and rear. I think that means they bolt on where the hitch goes. I guess I'll find out for sure when they get here.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I asked 4x4parts.com to confirm that they can be mounted together (rear nudge bar & OEM hitch) but a confirmation from a real life experience would be very much appreciated.

·
Super Secret Member
31 Posts
I will post my findings when my stuff gets here, but off hand I think there is no reason they cannot be used together. Nudge bar first then oem hitch. you may need longer mounting hardware and the hitch would be lower by however thick the nudge bars mounting plate is. probably no more than 1/2 an inch.

·
NO-MO-SNOW
891 Posts
I have to vote OEM because thats my car in there! I really think that it is the most attractive, albeit probably the least protective, but I do feel that for the kind of impacts I wanted to be protected from, that it was the best fit for me.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry I borrowed your thread and pictures for the poll Snow... :)

Well, there is nothing that can help prevent damages, these aftermarket armors costing many hundreds of dollars, I don't think that the damages would be less costly anyway, maybe if the collision occurs at a very low speed. They consist more of a personalization thing, they look more agressive and are esthetically pleasing to many.

I however went for the side moldings because dings simply drive me crazy and if I caught someone hitting my moldless panel, I would certainly go postal... lol

·
Super Secret Member
31 Posts
I am more concerned with protecting my mo from parking lot bumper wars. Nothing short of a giant car crushing tow truck bumper can protect you in the event of a high speed collision.

·
NO-MO-SNOW
891 Posts
I agree...it does help with the parking lot wars...I should get one for the back. I have a nice scratch from someone who could not negotiate a turn.

Honestly, I feel that the front end of the MO is the ugliest part. Granted, it isn't ugly persay or I would have never bought the car, but it is my least favorite section. I feel that with the pushbar that it looks a little better. I think that a new grille would definitely wake up the front end, however I can't find one that I like, and the one that I really like is not available! And I don't think I am skilled enough to make it!

Even though I know that I'm going to get a ding eventually, I am not too big on the side moldings. I even went as far as de'moulding' my one car.

SIM: Don't worry bout borrowing the thread. That's what they are there for! I'm happy to share my pics. I'm glad they are useful for something! :29:

·
Super Secret Member
31 Posts
Do not assume that "Bolt on design using factory mounting points" = Ease of installation. IT DOES NOT!!! The front was a pain in the a**, but not as bad as the rear. The front nudge bar installed as per the directions, but the sump guard/splash shield/rock shield (whatever you want to call it) will not be able to be used. I thought that was crap. With out it the engine compartment and the bottom of the radiator are totally exposed to road debris. I had to cut mine into 3 pieces with a band saw to get it to fit. Well worth the time and effort considering the cost of a new radiator, or the damage a rock or branch would do if it got sucked into the belts/pulleys. The other problem with the front is, the license plate mount will not fit between the bumper and the nudge guard. So I removed mine and made a bracket out of 1/8th inch aluminum. I mounted below the bumper using the two screws for the sump guard. Oregon law: must have front and rear plates. Total time to install including cut and fit of sump guard 3 hours.
The rear nudge guard's installation instructions were vague at best.
The illustration are horse sh*#. What they fail to tell you is unless you have little tiny monkey hands you will be in for massive aggravation and a very long string of profanities. The passenger side bracket mounts to factory holes in the frame, but the exhaust is in the way. I had to disconnect the rear muffler and drop it to get the
bracket on. When I went to re-hang the muffler The bracket was in the way, so I couldn't get the hanger in it's isolator bracket. So unbolt that, slip hanger into isolator and re-attach. All said and done it only took me an hour and a half. They look great and I guess it was worth the aggravation. As far as the question of mounting both rear nudge bar and towing hitch, I don't know.
If I could see how the hitch was mounted I could tell you for sure.
My best guess is maybe, probably, but painfully.
I will post pictures when I can find my camera.
I almost forgot when I had the rear muffler off I couldn't resist starting the MO and giving it a couple of revs. Sounds sporty. I can't wait until my warranty expires so I can change the intake and exhaust.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts