Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any regualr service that absolutely must be performed by a Nissan Service Center? I'm picking up my new MO on Dec 4, and really want to avoid the interaction with these folks, but don't want to void my warranty or risk improper treatment to my new vehicle. We have a local guy who works on my wife's car, and we feel he's very trustworthy. I'm ok with him doing small services such as oil/lube/filter, etc.

Also, is there anything particularly special about the first service that requires it to be done at the dealer? Is it really just an oil change? The dealer I'm buying from indicated that the first service doesn't need to occur until 3750 miles. I thought that was a long time before the first oil change, and he said the new modern engines don't require such babying. I don't put a lot of faith in his reply, and he was also trying to sell me window etching, extended warranty, undercoating and all that other crap.

Any expert advice is sincerely appreciated.

btw, it's thrilling to have found this board. I am impressed by the sense of community it has created, and want to thank all of you who contribute and maintain this wonderful site. I've been lurking since about July, and plan to contribute more now that I'm a bonafide owner (after Dec 4). Thanks again.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I haven't had my Murano in for service yet and it's over 11k miles now. I've looked at the manual and the only thing that it would absolutely have to be in for service for are things like resetting the TPMS, or things like that where you need the dealer scan tool. As far as maintenance goes, if you look in the maitenance, the only thing thats different than most other cars are the CVT and the lubing of the propeller shaft. These two things are something I'm not familiar which I don't think most mechanics would be either, seeing how the CVT just came out for the Murano in '03. If you feel like you are mechanically inclined, or are just curious, go to http://www.nissantechinfo.com. and you can subscribe for one day @ $20. During this time, you can download all the .PDF files for the Murano and save them to your computer. This is the same book the dealer uses to service the Murano. Hope this helps.

Welcome to the board!:)

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
The only thing I can see as dealer specific is any maintenance that might need to be performed on the CVT. Only the Nissan dealer has the NS-2 fluid for the CVT. Other than that, I think any competent shop should be able to work on the Murano, since its pretty much the same as all other 3.5L V6 Nissans. You generally save money by going to an independent shop, or if you are like me and like taking things apart, doing your own maintenance. It might cost the same to do the job yourself, but you end up a with a nice set of tools for the same cost!

·
Registered
466 Posts
I second the motion for doing maintenance yourself. I don't trust people taking my car apart unless it is something I know I don't have time/capabilities to do it. They never take the same care you would working on your own car because it's your own pride and joy!:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts