Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the board so first, Sup Everybody ...Now for my question - I just wanna know whats the difference between purchasing HID Xenon headlamps for my '04 Murano vs. buying 20.00 bulbs and just replacing my halogen bulbs?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Real high intensity discharge headlights produce much more light, that is whiter, for a given amount of watts than old style incandescent lightbulbs. Nothing magic about them, they're basically fluorescent lights. To reduce the chance of blinding oncoming drivers, real HID patterns have a sharp cutoff at the top of the beam (whether they're projectors like on the Murano, or older style reflectors). In addition the Murano has leveling motors in the headlights to keep the beam appropriately low if you have a lot of weight in the rear or are towing a trailer.

20 dollar bulbs that try to mimic HID are going to be
a) overwattage
b) tinted blue
c) both of the above
Regardless of which brand you buy or how much you spend, you will not get real HID performance. You will get a blue tinted incandescent bulb. It fools nobody.

Note that there are now aftermarket HID kits that the ricers are putting in their reflector housings designed for an incandescent bulb. ("Yo, check it, my 17 second Accord is rockin HIDz, that **** iz off the chain") Now we have the worst of both worlds! An intense light that is very diffuse, with no cutoff. The oncoming drivers experience something like staring up at the overhead lights at an NFL game at night.

·
Registered
12,511 Posts
T_CONFESSIONS-

Welcome to the forum.

The biggest difference? Cost! The bulbs cost $20 and the Halogen-to-HID conversion will cost several (3-6) hundred dollars.

The OEM HID lamps provide much better (and safer) illumination then $20 "blue-white" halogen bulbs.

Much has been written here on this topic. Do a search to see the info.

-njjoe

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Bulbs with the blue tint will put out less light as compared to the same bulb without the blue tint.

·
5,244 Posts
If you do not want to make conversion to HID (costly) get Sylvania Silverstars. They are decent quality, quite white and have good output. Avoid "HID" look like bulbs with silverish tint. As Gonzo said they do nothing for safety and the output is less than satisfactorily.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts