Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my Super Black MO last week! So far enjoying it immensely. This forum was a great help in coming to a purchase decision, thanks to all.

On to my question... how easy is it to install/remove the roof rail crossbars (the standard options ones)? I ask because my fear is that armed only with a screwdriver a thief could remove the rails, taking my ski rack and complement of skis with it.

The other option I'm considering is the LowRider system from Yakima with locks, which they claim MUST be opened for the roof rack to be removed. The other advantage to the LowRiders is that they're largely roof rack agnostic and can be removed and installed on a different car easily.

But... the OEM crossbars integrate with the look of the Murano quite nicely. If they are impossible to remove without some sort of key system I will probably go with them... maybe.

What does everyone recommend? Any other issues with the OEM crossbars?

Thanks!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Cross Bars

Well, when I bought my MO in August it didn't come with crossbars. Roof rails were standard. I don't think it is easy at all to take the roof rails off, on the contrary the crossbars are easy to remove. All it takes is a screwdriver and however long it takes somebody to undo 8 screws.

So to answer your question - YES, somebody can "borrow" your crossbars with the ski rack attached to it. With LowRiders they will have to undo the locks and than take the entire assembly off the car. Let me tell you this -- if somebody wants to take your sh.... , they will. BTW, to take the LowRider off, all they need to do is to take the lock cores out which can be done with a master key that is supplied with every box of locks. So technically all they need to do is to spend $20 on a set of 2 locks, take out a master key, take the cores out of your rack, take the rack, and than return the lock and get $20 back from the store.

I don't mean to put you into a panic mode, but that is why you have a COMPREHENSIVE coverage on your insurance for things like that.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Re: Cross Bars

DrMurano said:
Well, when I bought my MO in August it didn't come with crossbars. Roof rails were standard. I don't think it is easy at all to take the roof rails off, on the contrary the crossbars are easy to remove. All it takes is a screwdriver and however long it takes somebody to undo 4 screws.

So to answer your question - YES, somebody can "borrow" your crossbars with the ski rack attached to it. With LowRiders they will have to undo the locks and than take the entire assembly off the car. Let me tell you this -- if somebody wants to take your sh.... , they will. BTW, to take the LowRider off, all they need to do is to take the lock cores out which can be done with a master key that is supplied with every box of locks. So technically all they need to do is to spend $20 on a set of 2 locks, take out a master key, take the cores out of your rack, take the rack, and than return the lock and get $20 back from the store.

I don't mean to put you into a panic mode, but that is why you have a COMPREHENSIVE coverage on your insurance for things like that.

I use the OEM crossbars but I mount my Ski box ( Yakima Rocket Box) on it, it is almost inpossible for anyone to take the box and rails off together and you cannot disconnect the the ski box untill you have defeated the box locks. Besides you would look pretty
stupid walking down the street manhandling a ski box.

Up where I live it is almost the norm to have a ski box, most people will not steal what they cannot see and it really protects the skis and bindings from road garbage.

I think the OEM crossbars from Nissan Canada are different from Nissan USA, CAnadain ones require the special screwdriver to undo or a metric allen wrench.

Winter has arrived, time to get the ski's and boards waxed up and ready to go.:18: :18:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Cross Bars

DrMurano said:
BTW, to take the LowRider off, all they need to do is to take the lock cores out which can be done with a master key that is supplied with every box of locks. So technically all they need to do is to spend $20 on a set of 2 locks, take out a master key, take the cores out of your rack, take the rack, and than return the lock and get $20 back from the store.

My understanding of the Yakima system was that the master key used to remove the cores would only work with the cores in the unlocked position, which cannot be accomplished with the master key. In other words, the "unique" key is still a necessity even if one has the master key (as long as one remembers to lock their cores, of course).

True enough, if someone is determined there is no fool-proof system, but it sounds like the Yakima system provides some additional measure of protection beyond the OEM cross bars if removing 4 exposed screws is all it takes.

Thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
19 Posts
JDS is right!

I recently installed a yakima low rider with big powderhound (snowboard/ski holder) on my MO. The master key ONLY allows you to remove the core in unlock position. If you are concern about security, I would recommend getting a yakima. IMO, they offer the best protection

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: JDS is right!

GhostHavoc said:
I recently installed a yakima low rider with big powderhound (snowboard/ski holder) on my MO. The master key ONLY allows you to remove the core in unlock position. If you are concern about security, I would recommend getting a yakima. IMO, they offer the best protection
Good to hear! Thanks for the response!

Did you get the 58" crossbars? How good a fit are they on the MO? Do they stick out much? If you could post a pic of the installed rack I'd be forever grateful.

Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Re: Re: JDS is right!

jds said:

Good to hear! Thanks for the response!

Did you get the 58" crossbars? How good a fit are they on the MO? Do they stick out much? If you could post a pic of the installed rack I'd be forever grateful.

Thanks!
Yeah I got the 58" crossbars as this was recommended by the manufacture. However, they stick out too much so i decided to cut each bar about 5 inches. It looks better now. I will try to post a picture when I get home.

My only complaint is that when driving at high speed, it makes a little noise (wind) probably due to the shape of the bars (fat round). Yakima is aware of the problem and yet they keep making round crossbars. Why dont they make flat crossbars? I guess Yakima wants us to spend extra money on optional parts that reduce the noise.

below are optional parts that help reduce noise.

windjammer ($15)
fairing ($50)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts