Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 Murano. I had my alternator replace under the recall now I have a roaring noise when I press down on the accelerator. I have been back to the dealer a couple of times and the shop foreman says the new alternators make this noise. I was wonder if anybody else has notice this noise after the recall.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
That is BS!

An alternator makes very little noise. In fact, whatever noise it does make is quieter than the engine noise. You should never be able to hear an alternator.

Many of the "new" alternators are actually re-manufactured from the recalled units. They are structurally the same as the "bad" alternators. The only change is in how the electronic components are mounted. They should be no noisier than the OEM units.

The shop foreman is feeding you a line of bull. If the noise is coming from the alternator, then there is something wrong with it. The noise may be coming from something that was handled during the alternator swap - i.e. belt, pulley, bracket.

I would give them a second shot at fixing the problem. If they refuse, then I would contact NISSAN.

Good luck.

-njjoe

·
5,244 Posts
njjoe is right. I had my alternator replaced and no noise to talk about. Go back to the dealer and make your point. There should bo no noise coming from the alternator, at least no more than your original one...

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Except for Volkswagens and Mercedes, I have never heard alternators make noise "normally" on any other vehicle. Those German vehicles always emit an electric whine sound at idle, its actually kind of cool.

I have not had any alternator sounds on my Maxima or Murano, *except* when the alternator on the Maxima was about to fail, it made a high pitched supercharger like whine when accelerating. The next day, alternator was dead.

However, the high pitched alternator whine is not the kiss of death for all alternators. I've seen virtually every early generation Ford Explorer have terrible alternator whine, with no apparent failures.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I have an 03... had the alternator replaced... no noise. Complete BS :bsflag: in fact it could be a sign of an impending failure.

That alternator needs to be replaced. Talk to the service manager, dealer owner or Nissan North America.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Jim,

Ask him to put it in writting and sign it.

He will either do it and prove himself a complete incompetent or he will refuse and prove that his statement is a lie.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Another idea - it might not be a faulty alternator - it could be an accessory belt that is too tight, putting additional pressure on the alternator bearing. This could either be a misadjusted belt, or a bad belt tensioner.

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
Was just in line at Dunkin Donuts, and thought I was hearing belt whine. I looked back and saw a 2000-ish F-Series sitting behind me. I kept trying to pull up to get away from him, but he stayed close. For some reason, he stalled (and lurched forward almost rear-ending me). Sure enough the whine stopped!

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
EasternPA said:
Was just in line at Dunkin Donuts, and thought I was hearing belt whine. I looked back and saw a 2000-ish F-Series sitting behind me. I kept trying to pull up to get away from him, but he stayed close. For some reason, he stalled (and lurched forward almost rear-ending me). Sure enough the whine stopped!
See, I was not making it up!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Had my replacement done recently as well-everything is as before-sweet! Better have her checked by a real service dept. that cares.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for everybodys help and Ideas. I will go back next week and see what happens. If not happy will call Nissan. Hope everybody has a safe and fun New Year.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts