Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you had to do it again, would you get the AWD version of the Murano or does the VDC/TCS/ABS/EBC provide enough stability. I live in NJ and we do get some snow but from what I've read the AWD doesn't do much except provide additional traction when starting from 0 mph and then shut off at 6 mph. Am I missing anything? Thoughts?

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Am I missing anything?

Yes, you are missing the fact that the AWD system does not turn off at 6 MPH.

If you are driving at any speed and the system detects that the front wheels are slipping, the AWD system will engage the rear wheels.

The AWD system is always operational (although not necessarily engaged), regardless of speed. What I mean by operational is that it is always looking for wheel slippage. Normally the MO operates in FWD, but when wheel slippage is detected the clutch pack to the rear differential is engaged, and up to 50% of the torque is sent to the rear wheels.

The 6 MPH cut-off you are referring to is the speed at which the AWD system will disengage if you have manually selected AWD by engaging the AWD LOCK switch AND the system does not detect wheel slip. However, if the AWD system detects wheel slippage the system will operate in AWD mode regardless of whether or not you activated the AWD LOCK switch.

I have only driven the MO in snow once. That was during last week's snow (we only had about three inches here in Toms River). I am happy to say it was just as good as my Jeep GC. We'll have to wait to see how it handles the deep stuff.

Did I answer your question?

-njjoe

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
njjoe,

Thanks, this does help me get closer to my decision to go with the AWD version. I just didn't want to spend the extra money if it wasn't going to help that much. Thanks!

-jmmsumru

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Knowing how the roads are treated here and given the short comings of the AWD... I would NOT recommend it. It just isn't necessary. Prior to the MO I drove a FWD car for 15 years... neave got stuck once.

Now things have changed in my life... 2 kids... trips up north to ski country often etc..... so I got the AWD.... was it necessary. Probably not.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Why I said NO to AWD

Less weight
Less unsprung weight
Less Cost
Less items to break
Less strain on the Tranny

I don't off road.

If it snows and the other cars are sliding all over the place I want to stay out of the way9stay home).

It they are not sliding then why would I slide?

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
jmmsumru-

There is another way to look at it. Do you go out in the snow?

New Jersey gets a fair amount of snow each year, but for the most part all major roads are cleared of snow within hours of the snow ending, and secondary roads are usually cleared by the next day. If you don't need to travel when the roads are snow covered then you could easily get by without AWD. However if you live in Sussex County or need to travel up Skyline Drive to get home then AWD would be a necessity.

AWD is nice to have if you travel on snow-covered roads, especially in hilly terrain. The Murano's AWD system is not as stout as those on a "real" SUV (Jeep, GMC, etc.) but it does offer added traction as compared to FWD.

Do you really need AWD? Answer this question - If the vehicle you are currently driving is FWD, where you ever in a predicament that you wished it was AWD instead?

Good Luck!

-njjoe

·
Registered
828 Posts
Why I went with AWD.

I have four wheels, I want them ALL working. LOL

It helps me get up my long icy driveway.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Remember also that one nice aspect of the Murano's AWD system is that it is fully automatic. It functions as FWD 99.9% of the time, for added efficiency, but when wheel slippage occurs, AWD is automatically engaged. Thus I believe the drawbacks of having AWD is minimal (except for the added initial cost), since its operation is transparent except for when you need it.

If you had to pick one option - AWD *or* VDC, I would go for VDC though. While AWD helps you to go on slippery surfaces, VDC will come into play when grip loses to slip, and may save your life one day.

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
I specifically wanted AWD due to issues I had with my Xterra. I was cheap and bought the 2WD version (which of course is RWD vs FWD). Sure enough, we had a couple of freak snowstorms that year, including 20" on President's Day, and the X was completely hobbled. Just useless. It took 3 days to dig out from that storm thanks to the snow plows, yet my wife's Sonata was free within 15 minutes. Both cars were backed into their spots. While the X was trapped was when I began researching the Murano.

I bought in April and had another freak snow and icestorm the first day back at work. 77 miles each way to the GWB, and the NJ Turnpike was littered with cars and vans spun out on both shoulders.

The VDC has saved my butt a few times in loose gravel and wet conditions over the years, but the AWD has also helped quite a bit with the "stab it 'n steer" feature we northeastern AWDers really get to enjoy.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
jmmsumru-

Have you come to any conclusion?

-njjoe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts