Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I've decided on Murano. Unfortunately, the dealer I'm working with doesn't have what I want, but says he can trade with a dealer approximatley 200 miles away. He proposes to drive the car here. I can't say I'm wild about paying 30k plus for a new car that's going to have 200 miles racked up on it. I haven't bought that many new cars so, is it common for dealers to put this many miles on a new car before selling them? Should I be looking for another dealer?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
100 Posts
You could always drive to the dealer that is 200 miles away and buy it from him. Maybe he'll sell it even cheaper then this dealer. Who knows. ;)

This was my first new car and it had a whopping 2 miles on it. I was the first one to test drive it and they hadn't even prepped it yet so I had to put gas in the tank for the salesman so I could take it out. But I would think it's completely possible that a new car could have a couple hundred miles on it easily. Especially if it's been at the dealer a little bit and a lot of people have taken it for test drives.

·
Registered
758 Posts
New Car from other dealers

I have heard that you have to be careful in negotiations when a dealer is going to get your car from another dealer. In fact I discussed the holdback with my salesman and he told me he would not have very much wiggle room if they had to get the configuration I was looking for from another dealer. The originating dealer keeps the holdback. I would definitely negotiate the price before they get the car from the other dealer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Be cautious about stopping your new car search too soon. I had two "dealer trade" deals cancelled, even after agreeing on a price and giving a $1000 deposit. In the first, the car being dealer traded turned out to be a demo with 5000 miles. The second car showed up on its way to a dealer. When a trade was attempted, the receiving dealer wouldn't trade. They said the car was pre-sold.

In both cases, a trailer was going to be sent to pick up the car. I would not have seen any transportation miles on the odometer.

I also heard the holdback went to the dealer giving up the car.

These two disappointments were enough. Three days later, I ordered the exact MO I wanted - from a different dealer. My cost was still the same, but I knew I was getting the car...... if only I knew when.

·
Registered
418 Posts
A "dealer trade" is an opportunity for a less than honest dealer to increase their profit. In my case, after negotiating a deal for $2,300 under invoice, before signing the order, the salesman said "now we have to find a car". By this time, the dealer knew I was "drooling" over getting a Murano. After an hour of back and forth crap, the sales manager said, "we've found the vehicle you want but its at another dealer. We can have it for you in 4 days, but its going to cost you full invoice." I walked. I ordered from another dealer the next day (joint Nissan/Infinity) for $2,100 under invoice. I had to wait 5 weeks, but i think it will be worth it having a good dealer.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Tell the dealer that you will buy the car only if he has the MO brought in a on a flatbed. Tell him you don't know what kind a clown will be driving around for 200 miles in your car eating big-macs and spilling drinks while trying to do 100 MPH on the interstate.
Play hard ball.
Bob1

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
I concur. Mine had 2.7 miles on it when I test drove it. Ya neva know how somebody drove it those 200 miles before break in.
:13:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Mine was dealer traded and had 200 miles on it when I got it. I've had no problems. I only did this because we got a great deal on it. Good luck and congrats on the new MO.

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
Mine had 250 miles on it when I first got it. The manager of the dealership just got it 2 days earlier and was using it for his personal transporation. Too bad, my car: no regrets. :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks

Thanks everyone for your input. The dealer refused to flatbed it in unless I paid for it. He was already trying to charge me a $200 transportation fee to swap it with the other dealer.

I found another dealer who's taking delivery of the exact one I want this week, so I put a deposit down on that one instead. Now I just need to make sure it comes in before before 4/1 so I can get the Nissan .9% financing!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts