Nissan Murano Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I will be extra careful and will see if the old one will slide out. That’s a good idea
My wife is out of town and I am oncall for work so may wait until next week. Don't want to risk getting it half apart and needing a part and no way to get to the store
But I am 99% sure it's leaking out the top..The burnt antifreeze smell is bad. My son even said " your car stinks' but never got hot and I never added anymore water

·
Registered
182 Posts
Always buy radiators and cooling fans locally, if only for the lifetime warranties. I bought mine from Advance Auto with a 30% off coupon and it was close to online prices, and I can swap it out any time if it leaks.

Aftermarket cooling fans can be really shitty, so local replacement and warranty is key. I bought Dorman fans from Advance and one of them will fail like clockwork once a year. I have it down to about 30 minutes to swap them out, including removing battery and tray. Definitely avoid Dorman fans, but chances are the same factory builds all the aftermarket ones anyway.

·
Registered
2003 Nissan Murano SE AWD
421 Posts
Let me know if you find a quicker way to replace it, because I may end up replacing mine agaiin due to some oily stuff in the coolant reservoir. At the moment, I think it's transmission cooling line fluid running through the radiator that's leaking into the coolant. Maybe there's a crack internally. There doesn't seem to be much fluid in the reservoir, and all other fluids are clean and levels appear normal. Will keep monitoring for now...

EDIT: Actually, I'm going to eliminate the transmission as the source of the problem by removing both tranny cooling lines and joining them with a barbed union for a few days, bypassing the radiator altogether. Over a few days, any remaining oiliness should vanish. And, if it ends up being the radiator, I believe the warranty from Autozone on that part is either three or five years, so it will be covered.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Let me know if you find a quicker way to replace it, because I may end up replacing mine agaiin due to some oily stuff in the coolant reservoir. At the moment, I think it's transmission cooling line fluid running through the radiator that's leaking into the coolant. Maybe there's a crack internally. There doesn't seem to be much fluid in the reservoir, and all other fluids are clean and levels appear normal. Will keep monitoring for now...

EDIT: Actually, I'm going to eliminate the transmission as the source of the problem by removing both tranny cooling lines and joining them with a barbed union for a few days, bypassing the radiator altogether. Over a few days, any remaining oiliness should vanish. And, if it ends up being the radiator, I believe the warranty from Autozone on that part is either three or five years, so it will be covered.
Hope that's it because it not you have a bigger issue :(
If it's not covered buy an external tranny cooler maybe and bypass the radiator.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Hope that's it because it not you have a bigger issue :(
If it's not covered buy an external tranny cooler maybe and bypass the radiator.
It also just hit me that coolant lines are tied into the actual CVT cooler, so there could be a problem with that part and not the radiator. Bypassing the radiator will at least allow me to eliminate it as the source, and then I'd have to reconnect those lines if the problem persists and then disconnect and join the two lines that go into the CVT cooler for a few days. I'd like to think if there was cross-contamination going on at the cooler, there'd be a significant amount that would be detectable in the tranny fluid. But it could be a tiny leak from the o-ring or even a minute crack in the housing. Installing a new CVT cooler somewhere else might be an easier solution than messing with those old lines, but since I'm not planning to keep MO...

EDIT: It actually smells like engine oil... Probably a blown head gasket. I've been being way too aggressive on the gas lately since MO's been accelerating better.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
It also just hit me that coolant lines are tied into the actual CVT cooler, so there could be a problem with that part and not the radiator. Bypassing the radiator will at least allow me to eliminate it as the source, and then I'd have to reconnect those lines if the problem persists and then disconnect and join the two lines that go into the CVT cooler for a few days. I'd like to think if there was cross-contamination going on at the cooler, there'd be a significant amount that would be detectable in the tranny fluid. But it could be a tiny leak from the o-ring or even a minute crack in the housing. Installing a new CVT cooler somewhere else might be an easier solution than messing with those old lines, but since I'm not planning to keep MO...

EDIT: It actually smells like engine oil... Probably a blown head gasket. I've been being way too aggressive on the gas lately since MO's been accelerating better.
Let me guess, you watched the video where the Juke set the record riding on 2 wheels the longest and said " hold my beer my Murano can do that" :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I did mine after road debris struck it and cracked the tank. Maybe my mostly non-talking video can help...

I got mine at Autozine and it was around $90. In my video I said next time I'd remove it from the bottom, but I don't think that would be easier unless using a lift to get the front end higher in the air than most ramps and jacks can achieve. I had to bend-flex the top-passenger-side of the fan housing to remove it (in order to clear the silver A/C line), and it wasn't that hard or extreme. Everything sounds loud when an HD camera is sitting on top of the action.
Your video was very helpful. One suggestion is remove the battery tray, makes it 100% easier. I battled with it for 15 minutes and decided to remove it..
Once it's out fan tray slides in and out fairly easy.
My biggest challenge was those stupid fan connectors :)

·
Registered
421 Posts
One suggestion is remove the battery tray, makes it 100% easier. I battled with it for 15 minutes and decided to remove it..

My biggest challenge was those stupid fan connectors :)
Glad everything went smoothly and your problem is solved. Even if I were to do it again, I wouldn't remove the battery and tray. Last time it took 8min to remove and 6min to install. That's less time than it would take just to remove the battery and tray. Having done it once, I'm confident I could remove and install the radiator in two minutes, but I would definitely use a thinner piece of cardboard. :)

Most times, electrical connections are a big PITA to remove. They often look real easy, but seldom ever are.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
It would be easier the 2nd time for sure. I wiggled the fan tray around and it's tight for sure :) My self proclaimed ADD gave up after 5 minutes of wiggling

21 - 29 of 29 Posts