Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
'03 SE 2WD Cold Pkg, VDC
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The button for channel / track selection sometimes malfunctions. Either the up or the down stops working. Volume never seems to have a problem. The dealer cleaned it the last time and the problem seems to be for frequent. I notice that it happens more during the cool of the morning. At times I can go weeks with it working fine.

Has anyone else had this intermittent problem?

How do you get at the contacts to clean? And how should they be cleaned?

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Steering Wheel radio controls

I have a 2003 Murano and my radio controls do the same thing. All I do is use the mode button on the steering to change it from FM to AM to CD and back to FM and the buttons go back to normal. It seems to me to be more of a software issue with the radio than dirty contacts on the switch.

-FJ

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I had the same issue when I first got my MO.... the basically threw their hands up. I was finally able to show them when it happened, otherwise it was "not reproduceable". Mine was big time intermittent... I think I found it more so when I made a turn to the right... or was it to the left? I don't remember.

When they finally saw it happened they said, don't know what to do. I was so mad... I said it is obviously malfuncting.... it is under warranty... fix it.

They did fix it and it has been fine since. I think they replaced the switch and some wires/harness.

Bring it in to be fixed, it does work correctly. It is NOT a software issue.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
I've been having the same problem with mine. I've noticed that when it's happening, if I turn the wheel 90 degrees (either way) it then works. Of course, that's not really a recommended way of fixing it when you're on the highway...

I also noticed that if I turned the radio off and back on, it usually fixed it.

Then, when I got pissed at it the other day when it wasn't working, I slammed my fist against the panel right below the switch. That seemed to fix it as well. I've tested this by tapping there every time it stops functioning, and it does seem to work (with a pretty firm smack).

I downloaded the service manual last weekend, so I think I'm going to take it apart and see if I can clean/fix it myself rather than hassling with the stupid dealer. I'll post my results, along with instructions, to this thread.

·
'03 SE 2WD Cold Pkg, VDC
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Contacts? Really...

After I submitted this post I was wondering if there really were contacts. In this day of solid state stuff, it's gotta be an electronic switch don't ya think?

Thanks for the input

·
Love to live w/ MO
410 Posts
i had the same issues.
took it to the dealership and they had to replace the switch. ever since then its working fine.

so talk to your dealer if ur MO is under warranty, have them replace that switch.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have the same issue. Seems like sometimes just restarting the car fixes the problem. I am out of warranty, so I don't plan on fixing it as it is not a major problem.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
hasaanbhutta said:
i had the same issues.
took it to the dealership and they had to replace the switch. ever since then its working fine.

so talk to your dealer if ur MO is under warranty, have them replace that switch.
Yeah, but since it doesn't happen all the time, there's no way that Mr. Murphy will make it happen while I'm at the dealership, so it will just waste my time and they'll tell me "not able to reproduce problem".

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
(sigh)

Dealership just called me back, saying my MO is done. Took it in last night to do several things, one of which was to fix this stupid switch.

"couldn't reproduce the problem."

I told them it was intermittent. I told them about this thread, and that other people had the switch replaced which fixed the problem. They're still not doing anything to fix it.

Guess what kind of marks they're going to get on their survey that they say is so important?

Idiots.

I'm going to rip them a new one when I go to pick up my car.

By the way, this is the BRAND NEW Nissan dealership in Bellevue, which I thought might be better than other Nissan dealerships because being in Bellevue they have much "richer" clients. Apparently not.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the same problem. Took a few weeks for it to stop working at the same time I was near the dealer. Replaced switch under warranty

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
I called them back, talked with the guy for a while, explaining that other people on this forum had the same problem and that replacing the switched seemed to do the trick. He said he'd have to speak with the service manager and that he'd call me right back.

I called him in 3.5 hours (because I hadn't heard from him) and he was on lunch break. I left a message, and he called me back about 30 minutes later. Apparently 4 hours is "calling me right back" according to their time.

In the end, it comes down to the fact that there are only two ways that they will fix a problem:
1) If they actually witness it
2) There is a recall/TSB for the issue

They say they need to reproduce it in order to diagnose what needs to be done (rather than just throwing parts at it). I challenged this, saying "what if you find that it doesn't work, but then when you hook it up for diagnostics, it works fine?" his response is that as long as they see it faulty once, they'll "throw parts" at it until it's fixed.

In other words, they refuse to trust their customers no matter what they say.

I explained to him (in not-so-nice language) that is why Nissan (dis)Service is such a laughing stock in the owner community.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
By the way, I had him look up the part number in case I wanted to replace it myself. It's about $110. Yeah, that's right. The switch worth $2 costs $110 to order.

Oh, and they even refused to double-check the connections (unplug/plug). Idiots. Great way to convince me to never buy a Nissan ever again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Funny this just started to happen to me the other day, it goes away when I change modes, but it is starting to happen alot more often, guess I will have it replaced.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I can't remember but I think when I was finally able to show the mechanic the issue (yea!!!) I was turning the steering wheel to the left.

I had the same.... can't fix it.... don't know what to do.

Thank goodness I was able to show the mech the issue.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
I think I might open it up, disconnect the switch, "drop by" the dealership to show them the problem and set up an appointment ("sorry, I can't leave it with you now, I'm busy"). That way they've SEEN the problem (basically) and then when I take it in for the appointment and it happens to be working, I'll say "too bad, you saw it not working, you have to replace the switch and harness".

By the way, here's the other thread on this issue. Perhaps they could be merged or something? That thread has some part numbers which might be really helpful.

http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5232

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Sorry to rant once more about this, but I thought this was particularly funny:

I received my survey from NissanUSA in the mail today. I went online to fill it out.

Put in all the details (certainly not "excellent"). Submitted the survey.

AS I WAS SUBMITTING THE SURVEY my cell phone rang. I get crappy reception in my house, and I didn't recognize the number, so I ignored it. They left a message.

Guess who? Nissan was calling me to say that I should be getting a survey in the next 7-10 days, and that they would really appreciate me giving them excellent scores for everything because "Nissan has very high expectations of their service department and anything less than excellent is considered a failure."

Ironically, it's lucky for him that I already submitted the survey. If not, I would have added comments about the fact that I specifically told them NOT to use my cell phone EVER. I told them to remove that number from their system. Obviously they care about my privacy just as much as they care about fixing the problems on my vehicle...
:twak:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts