Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm an idiot. When I was installing satelite radio in my wifes '03, following the excellent instructions by jaak, I broke the white plug in the OEM radio harness and now the radio will not work. I was able to tape it back together, and it looks like all the wires are in place but I can't be certain. From a picture on Jaak's website I figured out the wire postions to be this, can anyone confirm?

This is the 10 pin connector.
Top row positions 1-6 = Grey,blank,Big Yellow,Green,Brown,Black
Lower row positions 7-10 = Pink/black stripe,blank,Small Yellow,White

I checked the fuse and found it to be broken so I replaced it. I hear the cd changer cycling, but the radio doesn't work and there is no display on the screen.

I did not connect the Sat harness and I believe everything is back in the original place.

Someone, please help me.

Keith

·
Registered
93 Posts
Did you just crack the case around the pins? If yes, then it's probably just loose enough that it isn't allowing for solid contact of some/one of the pins.

is this the end that plugs in to the back of the radio? If yes, you're in a bit more trouble if you can't get it tight enough because you won't be able to splice the wires together.

I would imagine you could somehow, somewhere get another plastic piece and re-insert the wires but I"m not sure if the dealer could special order just that piece. it's worth a shot!

good luck! I know you were trying to be the helpful husband, I hope she's not mad at you!

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Unfortunately I don't have a 03 service manual so I cannot help you with the wiring color or location but in case no-one here can help you, a not so fast but maybe easier and cheaper (as well as a more permanent) solution would be to call a junkyard and ask them for "radio pigtail" for the Murano. Then cut the wires to the broken plug and solder the wires of the new plug to the end of the wiring harness.

·
4,601 Posts
This might help. Look at the Nissan colours in the chart.

Make sure you have the orientation correct. This pinout is looking into the connector, not from the back (where the wires come out).

You're not the first to pull on that connector without ensuring it's unlocked first. Third that I'm aware of.

Sucks when it happens. By the way, trust this diagram, the one on my web site, I got from someone else, and I need to update it, as it doesn't have the Murano's colours.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The white plastic piece that holds the wires in place is what is busted. It is in a few pieces and I have put it back together with tape. I think it is holding but apparently it is not.

Jaak,

I connected the wires just as the photo a little more than half way down on your site. It is the picture of all the backs of the connectors. The one on the far right is the one that is broken. The wires appear to be the same but I have a Grey wire also that is not on your diagram. It looked like from the picture on your website that it was opposite the pink/black wire. I'll go check the order again.

BTW, the big yellow wire has a current running through it and the illumination (when lights are on) gets to the center console, but nothing works.

Thanks

·
4,601 Posts
If you get to your local auto store or auto sound system store, you can buy a replacement connector set for 10-20 bucks.

The Scosche NN03RB will be identical. Make sure it's the RB, not the B version.

You will have to take it apart and pull out the wires that come with it, and then insert your harness wires.

The Yellow wire powers everything, but the Pink/Black wire tells the radio it's OK to power up, if turned on as it's the accessory on, indication. If it's not making contact, your radio will not turn on.

Hopefully this picture will help, too.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all. We had a local audio guy fix, I believe glue, the broken harness. everything works now. Must have been a loose connection. Sat to be up and running today.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
KPB said:
Thanks to all. We had a local audio guy fix, I believe glue, the broken harness. everything works now. Must have been a loose connection. Sat to be up and running today.
:7:

·
4,601 Posts
Hopefully the glue won't come apart in the heat. You local audio guy should have no problem getting the Scosche connector and can replace it (if he's decent at what he does).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jaak said:
Hopefully the glue won't come apart in the heat. You local audio guy should have no problem getting the Scosche connector and can replace it (if he's decent at what he does).
Noted with thanks.

·
4,601 Posts
Actually, since the connector sits inside the mating one in the radio, unless the radio's pulled out again, it's likely the connector will never come out. Even if the glue lets go, chances are it can't go anywhere.

So I wouldn't worry about it, unless you plan to do some audio upgrades. And the conector can be replaced at that time anyway.

Just glad you got it all together again!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts