Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While driving today a random plastic part dropped on my foot from under the dash (driver side). It was too late to get in touch with the service dep. I suspect whatever it is was broken when they fixed an issue with my HVAC earlier this year. It looks like they knew they broke/cracked it, glued it back together and stuck it back wherever it was. Any idea what it is?
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive lighting
Automotive lighting Finger Bumper Automotive design Gadget
Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

Attachments

·
Administrator
9,263 Posts
Definitely part of the HVAC duct work. They should be able to re-install it, although if mounting points are broken off there may need to be a replacement.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I really like to know what dealer SA will tell you about this when you call them, especially knowing they broke it and simple hide it instead of doing the right thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Definitely part of the HVAC duct work. They should be able to re-install it, although if mounting points are broken off there may need to be a replacement.
I called this morning and had to send the pictures to another person via text while they were on the phone with me. Initially they claimed that nothing could have fell on my foot while driving because it was impossible. After looking at the pics they said they believe I may be right and it’s part of the HVAC in some capacity (I did tell them that I was almost certain it was part of the duct because it appeared to be something that would be involved with the airflow system). Because this dealership is about 50 miles from me I won’t be able to take it in until tomorrow but I did insist that whatever it is actually be replaced because it appears to have been broken and then glued back together. I’m bothered that they damaged something and instead of being upfront when it happened and noting that they did what they felt would be a sufficient repair they just quietly did it and sent me on my way….if it didn’t drop out until after my warranty ended they may have put the burden on me for any repair/replacement simply because they failed to make note of it. Insignificant or not that just doesn’t sit well with me and makes me wonder if anything else was damaged during the process. I wouldn’t have had a problem with them doing what they did if they would have been upfront and made note of it just in case something happened.

·
Administrator
9,263 Posts
I wouldn't get too bent out of shape about this.

It looks like some of the ducting made to route air to the foot well area. It's interesting that there's a repair visible on it. However, that doesn't mean they broke it. It may have been a "press into place" part with a clip that holds it in place. Stuff like that can work loose.

There's nothing wrong with gluing a part - it's called "repair" rather than "replace". The problem is that it didn't stay in place, which evidently means the repair was not effective. But yes, they should tell you if they repair something under the dash. However, some customers are so rabid about replacing anything (even if it's not necessary) that they may have been reluctant to mention it.

I'm not surprised they can't tell you much over the phone - they'll have to see it and get under the dash on that side.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
The photo part looks good, and it does look like something like super glue was used to glue it back to where is belongs. I would look at the part it mates to, where the tabs on the photo part are intended to be inserted into to hold it in place -- they may be broken...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wouldn't get too bent out of shape about this.

It looks like some of the ducting made to route air to the foot well area. It's interesting that there's a repair visible on it. However, that doesn't mean they broke it. It may have been a "press into place" part with a clip that holds it in place. Stuff like that can work loose.

There's nothing wrong with gluing a part - it's called "repair" rather than "replace". The problem is that it didn't stay in place, which evidently means the repair was not effective. But yes, they should tell you if they repair something under the dash. However, some customers are so rabid about replacing anything (even if it's not necessary) that they may have been reluctant to mention it.

I'm not surprised they can't tell you much over the phone - they'll have to see it and get under the dash on that side.
I wouldn’t have had a problem with the repair IF they would have advised or noted it. They did not. I get that some customers may give them a hard time but unfortunately that’s just the nature of some people and shouldn’t excuse not telling a customer something because of the poor temperament others may exhibit.

As far as not being able to tell me anything over the phone…not surprised by that at all. I don’t expect a diagnosis from over the phone…and at most looking at pictures of a part regardless of how many angles I shoot will only help give them an idea of what part is in play….not the condition of anything else under the dash. The only thing I have a true issue with is the lack of transparency back when whatever occurred when they worked on the car in January. I guess I should have gave more background when it comes to issues with this service Dept that I’ve experienced…but that story is so long and is really only relevant to why my irritation with the lack of transparency would exist so immediately now. The only reason I contacted them and will be going back to them about this is because the issue had to originate from work they did on the car. Otherwise I had no intention on ever going back to them for any additional services on my car…something that I had already discussed with Nissan Corporate after getting the previous situation resolved.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The photo part looks good, and it does look like something like super glue was used to glue it back to where is belongs. I would look at the part it mates to, where the tabs on the photo part are intended to be inserted into to hold it in place -- they may be broken...
The glue or whatever they used was to bind a long crack in the piece shown. It‘s possible it was glued on to wherever it came off too but the part was cracked (on the edge you can gently separate the area where the crack starts and you can feel the crack on the inside. The SA also stated that the tech he showed the pictures to immediately saw that part was cracked and sealed and that the tab he could see may be a little damaged). Definitely curious about the part it connects to under the dash.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Ahh, now I see the crack. I missed the what now looks pretty obvious now lol

I have never been successful gluing plastic items together using super glue...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I forgot to update on this. Once the dash was removed it was clear that there was a massive amount of damage done to various pieces during the HVAC service that was done earlier this year. They wouldn‘t let me take pictures using the excuse that they could get in trouble for allowing me in the service bay. Apparently they knew they had created a mess but thought their rig job would conceal it and didn’t anticipate anything falling out. They will be redoing the job they did in January (can’t recall what all was replaced at that time and don’t have my folder with all of my service orders with me but it was due to issues with the fan blower as well as temperature issues where it was not cooling or heating the way it should regardless of how high or low you set the temp). They initially wanted to try bonding everything back together but the damage was too extensive with more pieces breaking off as they tried to do anything. They admitted that the attempt they did before should never have been done as it was far too severe and too much broken. While I was there Nissan Corporate called me after the service manager contacted them to let them know what had happened so it seems like they are in panic mode knowing that this is just part of a situations I’ve had since purchase. Ultimately I just want things fixed correctly. I had already been leaning towards this being my final Nissan vehicle (for various reasons) but there was still a slight possibility I would change my mind. This unfortunately has solidified my decision. I will take some time to do some thorough research and figure out what my next vehicle will be.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Wow a lot of troubles. But what makes you think it wont be the same with different brand?
Its all related to personal responsibilities, there are so many cases when job wasn’t done or done wrong.
Maybe another Nissan dealer has techs who are responsible and do things right.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow a lot of troubles. But what makes you think it wont be the same with different brand?
Its all related to personal responsibilities, there are so many cases when job wasn’t done or done wrong.
Maybe another Nissan dealer has techs who are responsible and do things right.

My decision is not tied only to the issues with this Nissan or this specific dealership. I had 3 Rogues prior. All purchased from the Nissan in my city. I had a lot of issues with Nissan (including corporate), that dealership, and the last Rogue. I wanted to believe the problem was that dealership as it had changed ownership right after I bought that Rogue and issues with the service Dept not only for myself but for many began. They lost a lot of their long term salespeople and techs due to internal issues. It was a mess. I opted to purchase my Murano from a dealership that is a little under an hour away for this reason. Had issues immediately. I’m a fairly patient person and don’t expect perfection so the initial issues weren’t a huge deal to me…although the way things were handled were suspect. It would take days of reading to break everything down that has lead me to this decision…trust me when I say this is after years and not just one (or two, or three, or…well you get where I’m headed 😂) bad incident or an issue with one car or dealership. I’ve never had a situation like this happen but if this were the only problem I absolutely would have chalked it up to being solely related to this location and would gladly find another one to maintain my vehicle moving forward. I wish it were the only concern.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts