• 2003 SE - hear a lot of rattles

Votes: 10 8.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering purchasing a 2004 Murano, but all the talk about rattles is making me give it some thought. Has Nissan fixed any of this yet in the 2004 models? I remember seeing a poll about the rattles before. However, I don't believe the categories included the year and the model type, so I am putting this one up.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I hear more rattles on my 2003 SE now that it is cold out, especially with the 10 - 15 degree weather. Thankfully most of them go silent as the car warms up.

Notable rattles appear to be... the infamous window rattle (present on the wide majority of Muranos), the A pillar rattle, and the B pillar (seatbelt tensioner) rattle.

• There are a few solutions for the window rattle, including TSBs and our own "home brew" solution involving a shim in the door trim.

• The A pillar rattle seems to come from the cover being loose.

• The B pillar rattle is another box of nuts altogether.

Miscellaneous rattles I've seen mention of are... center console rattle, radio/climate protrusion rattle, rear cargo-cover rattle and a squeaking driver seat. I may have missed some :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
sashka54 said:
I am considering purchasing a 2004 Murano, but all the talk about rattles is making me give it some thought. Has Nissan fixed any of this yet in the 2004 models? I remember seeing a poll about the rattles before. However, I don't believe the categories included the year and the model type, so I am putting this one up.
I've had my 04 MO SL for three weeks now, no rattles yet. *knocks on wood*

-marius

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have had my 04 Murano for 3 months...Rattles, Rattles and more Rattles...going to the dealer for the 7th time Friday. If it is not resolved then I will be contacting my attorney to get the paper work started on a lemon.....I love the MO, but can't stand all the noises....

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
A-OK

The MO-04 is still as new as can be with 765 miles puchased Dec-28.
As of today Jan-14, all is quiet. Happy to report not one rattle.
Bob.

PS. maybe you guys with the rattles loaded down the MO with all those options. Yeah, that's it. That's whats rattling around back there.

2004 SL Pewter/Charcoal................with steering wheel!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Re: A-OK

bob1 said:
The MO-04 is still as new as can be with 765 miles puchased Dec-28.
As of today Jan-14, all is quiet. Happy to report not one rattle.
Bob.

PS. maybe you guys with the rattles loaded down the MO with all those options. Yeah, that's it. That's whats rattling around back there.

2004 SL Pewter/Charcoal................with steering wheel!
hah! December 27th, 680 miles, all options but nav/dvd. :)

-marius

·
British Cat Juggler
147 Posts
You got a steering wheel!!?? Which option package included this? I have to steer with a pair of pliers clamped to the steering column.
:D
1,000 miles..no rattles.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
You got a steering wheel!!?? Which option package included this? I have to steer with a pair of pliers clamped to the steering column.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was part of my shrewd negotiating skills. They wanted 900.00 for the wheel but I got them down to 600.00!

·
Registered
15 Posts
NO RATTLES SO FAR

14 ARIAL ORANGE-RED WELL I RECENTLY BOUGHT MY MO, NO RATTLES/NOISES OR MECHANICAL PROBLEMS ENCOUNTERED. SO FAR I'M VERY HAPPY WITH THE CAR, DRIVES FASTER THAN MY SISTER'S BMW X5, MORE OPTIONS THAN HER SUV HAS, GREAT SOUND SYSTEM, JUST GREAT.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Gonna flip 3500 miles this week. So far rattle free. I think I got a good one.:2:

·
Registered
149 Posts
O4 MO with 3300 mile and no rattles, But it think i will use the lemon law against Nissan, because i can hear other cars horns when they are blown close to me, I can also hear some road noise when I go over some rough road surfaces. Oh yeah, and when it rains, I can hear the rain drops hitting the MO, When I drive faster the Rain drops get louder.

lol :) Just had to have some fun.

·
Registered
15 Posts
matrixnyc...try closing your sunroof cover it will help...when i had the cover opened I could hear loud rain drops...

·
Registered
418 Posts
'04 SL....no rattles at all...does have the front window "tic", which comes and goes depending on temp/humidity....I'm sure its from the hollow , soft door seal that when you push on it til it contacts itself, upon release makes the "tic" sound...once weather warms up, I will try to spray some lubricant/silicon spray into the hollow seal and see if that helps...

·
Registered
145 Posts
No rattles for me. 03 SL Super Black Premium package, Leather, Sunroof 7,100 miles since Sept. was an April Build I think. :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This poll is probably not very statistically accurate, but its interesting to see that it seems there are more SL owners than SE. Also, 0 votes with rattles on the 2004 SE so far... (probably due to insufficient data?)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello Everyone:

From what I've read in these forums nothing has changed from an 03 to an 04. I have the window rattle and the a pilaar rattle. i've taken the car back to the dealership that I bought it from for the 2nd time and to another dealership once. That goes along with the rocking seat and the off center steering wheel.I'm extremely dissapointed in these vehicles. I have a Toyota Prius that they gave me as a loaner. That cat has better build quality than the Murano.:3:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It saddens me to hear this can be such a nuisance. I love the way Murano looks, but the almost 50% problem rate with the rattles makes me want to spend the extra money for the Infiniti FX. Does the FX have the reported rattles as well? :confused:

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Among the various noises I have: front passenger door/window rattle, glove box rattle, and occasional rattle in the trunk area.

·
5,268 Posts
No it does not. The built quality of FX is much better, at least the interior. I cannot speak for drive trains as I believe both of those cars have great engines (the same!). Other mechanical components seems to be OK.

I love Murano, I love the styling, roominess, handling, smoothness, but i HATE THE RATTLES. Murano unfortunately is cheap inside........given the price of the car the rattles should be last thing you should be worry about...........no so with MO.......:confused:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts